Thread poster: Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Local time: 19:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2019

I just received trhe following email (e-mail address: [email protected] via g001.emailsrvr.com):

Hello Clara,

After a quick review of your profile on Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario,

I write to present ARIANA PHARMACEUTICAL Translator/Interpreter job (full-time/part-time) Position;
Arian
... See more
I just received trhe following email (e-mail address: [email protected] via g001.emailsrvr.com):

Hello Clara,

After a quick review of your profile on Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario,

I write to present ARIANA PHARMACEUTICAL Translator/Interpreter job (full-time/part-time) Position;
Ariana Pharma is a premium provider of advanced, clinical and biomarker data analytics technology. Ariana’s unique technology exhaustively mines data, increasing the success of both clinical trials and multi-parametric diagnostic tools. Our team of biostatisticians, software developers, clinical experts and business developers works hard to save sponsors both time and money.

Hence; we’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position.

Responsibilities:
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Convert text and audio recordings from one language to one or more others
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy
- Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)
- Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices

Requirements
- Proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter or similar role
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of content editing tools
- Familiarity with translation software
- Time-management skills
- Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus
Job Type: Part-Time Full-Time
Hourly Rate: $40/Hour-$50/Hour
Training Rate: $18/Hour-$20/Hour
Per Word: $0.10-0.30

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:
Send the below information and Resume to: Mrs Veronique Chabernaud
([email protected])
Name:
Name of Company (Current employer):
Position Held:
Postal Address:
Cell Number:
Do you have experience as an illustrator?
Interview Scheduled : Mondays - Fridays
Venue: On line Via Google Hangouts
Time : 9:00 AM-5:00 PM CST
Training is Available.
Your verification code is (GDI/AP2019-6054). This would serve as your identification number throughout the on-line hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.
Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Sincerely yours,
Director Human Resources
Department of the Employee Representative
Council of Ariana pharmaceutical.
https://global.arianapharmaceutical.com
© 2019 Global Ariana pharmaceutical

Note the change from a "corporate email address" to a gmail one.

The text is almost identical to the one I received last month claiming to be from Penguin Random House.

I just thought to let you all know, this is a new attempt to scam us translators!

Cheers,

Clara
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Raquel Flores

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm really surprised they've targeted you - they must be slipping Sep 9, 2019

Normally, these scams are directed at people who are clearly newbies and so extremely vulnerable. You don't seem to match that profile -- by a long way.

Do you have experience as an illustrator?

Oops! A bit of a giveaway

Clara Nino

Jane Ellis
Jane Ellis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:27
Member (2012)
French to English
I got this too Sep 16, 2019

And I thought it was genuine - stupid me - I am too old and experienced to fall for things like this. I'm usually good at spotting scams.

I have a video interview set up for tomorrow - so let's see if anyone turns up. And if they are the person they claim to be.

So - what do the scammers get out of it exactly? They already have my CV, which is annoying - but they are not actually me.

And -
... See more
And I thought it was genuine - stupid me - I am too old and experienced to fall for things like this. I'm usually good at spotting scams.

I have a video interview set up for tomorrow - so let's see if anyone turns up. And if they are the person they claim to be.

So - what do the scammers get out of it exactly? They already have my CV, which is annoying - but they are not actually me.

And - if they do turn up to the video interview - what do they get out of this, exactly? Will they steal my video image??? I honestly don't understand what they would get out of interviewing me if they aren't going to use my services.

P.S. It didn't say anything about being an illustrator, otherwise I would have twigged.

[Edited at 2019-09-16 14:08 GMT]
Collapse

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
I have informed the actual company Sep 16, 2019

I have informed the actual company that it looks as if someone is imitating both them and a prominent member of their organization.

ETA. And then I sent the scammers this:
"Please comment on this – and if you are indeed scammers, please destroy my resume. If you fraudulently obtain work using my resume, rest assured I will purs
... See more
I have informed the actual company that it looks as if someone is imitating both them and a prominent member of their organization.

ETA. And then I sent the scammers this:
"Please comment on this – and if you are indeed scammers, please destroy my resume. If you fraudulently obtain work using my resume, rest assured I will pursue justice.

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337165-new_scam_ariana_pharma.html"

It's all I can do, apart from block them and report their emails and domains to Microsoft. I feel terribly stupid. These people are evil IMO.

[Edited at 2019-09-16 21:21 GMT]
Collapse

Cynthia Selde

Jane Ellis
United States
Member (2012)
French to English
Scam is to interview people and then get their DL and SSN Sep 16, 2019

Sounds like I got out just in time.

[Edited at 2019-09-16 15:08 GMT]

Joanna Luna
Joanna Luna
Canada
Local time: 17:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you all! Sep 18, 2019

Wasn't able to find any info about them other than their own site and social media accounts until I finally saw this! Just in time. Thanks again!

lisa2233

Fiona Koscak
Fiona Koscak  Identity Verified
Canada
Croatian to English
+ ...
I fell for it Sep 20, 2019

I just started the so called interview and then became suspicious. They have my CV. Should I be worried? I cannot believe I am so naive.

[Edited at 2019-09-20 23:56 GMT]

lisa2233

Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am glad I posted this scam as soon as I received the email! Sep 21, 2019

Dear all, I am glad you saw my posting before scammers could get you!! Let´s post all the scams we receive as a way to prevent more scammers to get our dear colleagues!

Cheers!!

Clara

lisa2233
Jason Wen

lisa2233
lisa2233
English to Spanish
I got the same message started via text message Sep 22, 2019

This is how the process started for me. They sent me a text message. After this when I contacted the Human Resources person was via google hangout. This lady Isabelle Chaduteau suppose to based in France and I thought it Was awkward for her to be doing an interview on a Saturday at 2:00 AM her local time. I stopped the process once we got the part when she wanted me to send her all my information to start with the briefing and interview.
I researched the company and there’s hardly any i
... See more
This is how the process started for me. They sent me a text message. After this when I contacted the Human Resources person was via google hangout. This lady Isabelle Chaduteau suppose to based in France and I thought it Was awkward for her to be doing an interview on a Saturday at 2:00 AM her local time. I stopped the process once we got the part when she wanted me to send her all my information to start with the briefing and interview.
I researched the company and there’s hardly any information or reviews from any employees.

[Edited at 2019-09-22 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

lisa2233
lisa2233
English to Spanish
These are the first messages i received. Sep 22, 2019

Hello

This is Stella Paige from ARIANA PHARMACEUTICAL. We have reviewed and acknowledged your resume publish online for the position of a Translator. and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise.
Reply YES if interested to proceed!

I replied Yes and then I got this...

Human Resources Department has reviewed your resume in reference to our AD posted we believe you are capable of handling this position based on your resume.
... See more
Hello

This is Stella Paige from ARIANA PHARMACEUTICAL. We have reviewed and acknowledged your resume publish online for the position of a Translator. and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise.
Reply YES if interested to proceed!

I replied Yes and then I got this...

Human Resources Department has reviewed your resume in reference to our AD posted we believe you are capable of handling this position based on your resume. Your details has been forwarded to Mrs Isabelle Chaduteau Hiring Manager from (INDEED). She would be conducting an online interview with you to discuss the Job Details, Descriptions, Pay Scale and Benefits, etc....Kindly provide us with your Gmail ID for proper documentation

I need you to get online now on Gmail account and have the hiring manager Mrs. Isabelle Chaduteau added on Gmail hangout([email protected]) send her a message she will be the one to conduct the interview with you, have her added and let her know when you are ready to proceed with the job interview now.....OK
Collapse

stacey_brown
stacey_brown
Local time: 17:27
Spanish to English
Yes, it is a scam Sep 23, 2019

I received an email from Ariana Pharmaceutical last week offering full-time and part-time jobs for translator/interpreter. I though I would answer and see what it was about. I looked up the company online and it seemed to be a legitimate company. They set up an online interview for me through Google Hangouts. I was doing the interview this morning through chat, not through video call, and it felt fishy. Thankfully, I didn’t provide any personal information other than my CV. While in the middle... See more
I received an email from Ariana Pharmaceutical last week offering full-time and part-time jobs for translator/interpreter. I though I would answer and see what it was about. I looked up the company online and it seemed to be a legitimate company. They set up an online interview for me through Google Hangouts. I was doing the interview this morning through chat, not through video call, and it felt fishy. Thankfully, I didn’t provide any personal information other than my CV. While in the middle of the interview, I decided to go directly to the Ariana Pharmaceutical website and send a message through the contact page to ask if they are hiring through this process or if it is a scam. Within a few minutes, I received an email from them confirming that it is a scam. At that time, I blocked the lady that I was chatting with and left Google Hangouts. It is not clear to me what kind of benefit they were trying to gain through this type of scam. However, I wasted a morning on this and I want to warn other translators not to fall into this trap.Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
They are still at it Oct 8, 2019

I got the scam email yesterday.

I must say they are quite good at it. Their English is good and they know how to send a professional looking email.

cclover
cclover  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Mistakes in English Oct 8, 2019

Actually, their English is not that good. It's pretty stilted and makes you feel awkward just reading it. This is the second email I have had, luckily it went straight to my SPAM box and I only saw it today...

Rowena Galavitz

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:27
Serbian to English
+ ...
Again! a variation on another scam using same xxx.company.com domain Oct 8, 2019

Same scam as

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337531-is_this_a_scam.html

based on using the domain name "company.com" and adding a sub-domain name in a way to confuse IT novices / make it look like it's coming from a pharmaceutical company:

... See more
Same scam as

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337531-is_this_a_scam.html

based on using the domain name "company.com" and adding a sub-domain name in a way to confuse IT novices / make it look like it's coming from a pharmaceutical company:

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337531-is_this_a_scam.html#2812247

It might sound "boring / too technical / no time for that / etc" but learning some basics about domain names really helps.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Dominique Svamberk
Dominique Svamberk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
German to English
Got it too today! Oct 9, 2019

I am so glad that this was posted on here.
It sounded great, however, once you click on the website link at the bottom of the email it says the following:

This site can’t be reachedglobal.arianapharmaceutical.com refused to connect.

Hopefully, everyone gets to read this before they send out their CV and other personal info.

Thanks!
Dominique

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NEW SCAM ARIANA PHARMA

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »