how can I translate with keeping the format of the source text and body?
Thread poster: Yagmur Gök
Yagmur Gök
Yagmur Gök
Germany
Turkish to German
+ ...
Aug 26, 2021

Hello Everyone,

so I used to run an Abby OCR process for every translation which I received as an image but sometimes I am facing errors during the OCR and it doesnt give me the exact format of the source text including images etc. How can I make this as qualitative as possible and which ways do you guys use during the translation process to keep the format as original as possible? Are there manual ways?

Best,

Yagmur
Translator TR-DE

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:44
German to Swedish
+ ...
Learn how to use a word processor Aug 26, 2021

Yes, really.

I do a lot of document recreation when translating certificates etc. By far the fastest is just using MS Word to set up a new layout manually from scratch, omitting OCR entirely. Tables and tabs are your friend, not your enemy! Word is stupid, antiquated, counterintuitive and buggy in many ways, but if you really learn to use it most things can be done reasonably quickly.

A big advantage is you get a clean document to work with, without a lot of garbage ob
... See more
Yes, really.

I do a lot of document recreation when translating certificates etc. By far the fastest is just using MS Word to set up a new layout manually from scratch, omitting OCR entirely. Tables and tabs are your friend, not your enemy! Word is stupid, antiquated, counterintuitive and buggy in many ways, but if you really learn to use it most things can be done reasonably quickly.

A big advantage is you get a clean document to work with, without a lot of garbage objects and styles to figure out.
Collapse

Yagmur Gök
Tina Vonhof (X)
Joe France
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Philip Lees
Agneta Pallinder
Christine Andersen

Yagmur Gök
Yagmur Gök
Germany
Turkish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for answering! And does it have to match the source 100% when it comes to the layout? Aug 26, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

Yes, really.

A big advantage is you get a clean document to work with, without a lot of garbage objects and styles to figure out.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes and no Aug 26, 2021

Yagmur Gök wrote:
And does it have to match the source 100% when it comes to the layout?

Well, literally 100% is impossible (for one thing the text length won't match, nor will the line breaks). But in sworn translation every table, indent, alignment, tab and styling detail that carries any meaning relevant to the interpretation of the contents should be carried over into the translation in some form. Of course fonts, stroke widths, tab positions, borders etc. can't match exactly. But the result has to be good enough that the reader can easily navigate the translation while looking at the original.

Yagmur Gök

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Outsourcing Aug 28, 2021

Personally, I hate recreating files from scratch in Word. It takes so long and is not worth my time.

So a few years ago I used Upwork to find a good PDF to Word formatter in my source language and now I send those to him (he signed an NDA). He charges me about $5 a page and recreates the original documents/image in an editable Word doc that I can use to translate.

They get work, I save time and frustration. It took me about three tries to find someone good and reliable
... See more
Personally, I hate recreating files from scratch in Word. It takes so long and is not worth my time.

So a few years ago I used Upwork to find a good PDF to Word formatter in my source language and now I send those to him (he signed an NDA). He charges me about $5 a page and recreates the original documents/image in an editable Word doc that I can use to translate.

They get work, I save time and frustration. It took me about three tries to find someone good and reliable, but it was well worth it for me.
Collapse

Yagmur Gök

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how can I translate with keeping the format of the source text and body?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »