Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Microsoft Language Portal - No longer available?
Thread poster: Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
France
Local time: 18:28
Member (2011)
English to French
Jul 17, 2023

Hello,

I have been using Microsoft Language Portal (LP) for many years, which I value a lot as far as IT technical translations are concerned.
The address was https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/language but it seems to no longer be available as I can only see a page with Microsoft language resources.
Do you by any chance now if the Microsoft linguistic resources are still av
... See more
Hello,

I have been using Microsoft Language Portal (LP) for many years, which I value a lot as far as IT technical translations are concerned.
The address was https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/language but it seems to no longer be available as I can only see a page with Microsoft language resources.
Do you by any chance now if the Microsoft linguistic resources are still available?
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:28
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
WinLexic Jul 17, 2023

WinLexic is a free and lightweight downloader and viewer for Windows computers developed by AIT Software Development Team (WinLexic).

It allows to download Microsoft® Glossaries, as well as Microsoft® Style Guides and view them offline from a computer.

Volodymyr mentioned in his newsletter that the glossaries were expected to be transferred to Microsoft Learn and that they would see if they could update
... See more
WinLexic is a free and lightweight downloader and viewer for Windows computers developed by AIT Software Development Team (WinLexic).

It allows to download Microsoft® Glossaries, as well as Microsoft® Style Guides and view them offline from a computer.

Volodymyr mentioned in his newsletter that the glossaries were expected to be transferred to Microsoft Learn and that they would see if they could update the tool to download them from there as well.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:28
Danish to English
+ ...
Discontinued Jul 17, 2023

They announced in April that it would be discontinued, and a notice to that effect was displayed in red on the site until it closed.

https://www.proz.com/forum/internet_for_translators/361873-does_anyone_know_what_has_happened_to_microsoft_language_portal.html

Dalia Nour

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:28
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Access it here Jul 17, 2023

https://tinyurl.com/2azegue4

Gösta Schöfer
Dalia Nour

Gösta Schöfer
Gösta Schöfer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Or here for more resources Jul 17, 2023

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/reference/Microsoft-Language-resources#terminology

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
English to French
+ ...
MS has not discontinued language resources. Jul 17, 2023

Latest info about MS language resources are here: https://blog.edoyen.com/post/important-announcement-about-termic/

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Confusing communication Jul 17, 2023

They announced indeed that they would discontinue the service, but in fact they just relocated the stuff. See links in sections "Terminology" and "UI strings".

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/reference/microsoft-language-resources

[Edited at 2023-07-17 18:01 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost

Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
France
Member (2011)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 18, 2023

Dear all,

Thank you for you messages. I had a look at the resources they relocated.
Am I the only one to think it's terrible and that they took away a very good ressource for IT translations?
I don't understand the point of removing a very good linguistic portal I used a lot since I became a translator, just to offer the same service but of very bad quality?
I hope the next step is not to make something we have to pay for in order to access it.
It's very disa
... See more
Dear all,

Am I the only one to think it's terrible and that they took away a very good ressource for IT translations?
I don't understand the point of removing a very good linguistic portal I used a lot since I became a translator, just to offer the same service but of very bad quality?
I hope the next step is not to make something we have to pay for in order to access it.
It's very disappointing and I feel like a very useful tool has been taken away from translators. It's a shame, really.
Collapse

Jan Nilsson

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Microsoft Jul 18, 2023

Carole Pinto wrote:

Dear all,

It's very disappointing and I feel like a very useful tool has been taken away from translators. It's a shame, really.

Microsoft has a proud history of wreckage in its trail: useful functions removed, good software discontinued, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Microsoft 365 update options where you can only choose between a) letting Microsoft close your applications whenever they like, without warning, and b) disabling updates, and a lot more, so I'm not surprised.

I have downloaded the TBs I need, so I don't need to use their online UI.

Carole Pinto

Daniela do Nascimento
Daniela do Nascimento  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Microsoft Power BI Jul 18, 2023

Carole Pinto wrote:

Dear all,

Hi, Carole.

I was also disappointed when it was no longer available. But someone shared with me an apparent substitute for it, on Microsoft Power BI page See if it works for you: https://msit.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiODJmYjU4Y2YtM2M0ZC00YzYxLWE1YTktNzFjYmYxNTAxNjQ0IiwidCI6IjcyZjk4OGJmLTg2ZjEtNDFhZi05MWFiLTJkN2NkMDExZGI0NyIsImMiOjV9

Elena Feriani
Lamine Boukabour

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Different Jul 19, 2023

Carole Pinto wrote:

It's different, but I don't think it's less good than the original. It's basically the same service, but with 2 separate search options now: terminology and UI strings.

Edwin den Boer

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
IBM language portal Sep 18, 2023

how do you query the IBM glossary ?

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
correction to previous post Sep 21, 2023

I meant " how do you query the Microsoft glossary ?"

Rico Döring
Rico Döring
Germany
Member (2023)
English to German
+ ...
explanation Sep 28, 2023

Angel Llacuna wrote:
I meant " how do you query the Microsoft glossary ?"

Well, on this page you select the "locale(s)" in the right upper corner and type in the term you're looking for.
Does this answer your question?

Nourhane Atmani
Nourhane Atmani
Algeria
Member (2023)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sadly Oct 4, 2023

I can't tell you how much I regret that now it's not available anymore...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Language Portal - No longer available?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »