Online store to buy En,Ge>Sp dictionaries, glossaries?
Thread poster: Paola PCR
Paola PCR
Paola PCR  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Jan 15, 2002

Hi, ProZ,

I have tried to find a good online store to buy new En,Ge>Sp technical dictionaries and glossaries, but found nothing reliable. I have tried Amazon.com of course, but I am looking for other sources.

Also, if there is any such books you would like to suggest for me to have, please let me know.

I live in Chile, so it is really difficult for me to find good material.

I know you will help me. All the best
... See more
Hi, ProZ,

I have tried to find a good online store to buy new En,Ge>Sp technical dictionaries and glossaries, but found nothing reliable. I have tried Amazon.com of course, but I am looking for other sources.

Also, if there is any such books you would like to suggest for me to have, please let me know.

I live in Chile, so it is really difficult for me to find good material.

I know you will help me. All the best for you.

YO
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:52
English to Spanish
I buy a lot from bamm.com Jan 16, 2002

Books a Million sure beats prices on Amazon and Barnes&Noble. However, I haven\'t explored their reference area fully; I bought mostly literary books. Until now every shipment has been on time (I live in Uruguay) and they sometimes include discounts for future purchases.

Hope it helps,

Rossana

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
references Jan 16, 2002

Hi.

There is a thread here where I found these references. I don\'t remember who posted it, but it was very helpful.

www.buecher.de

Kater Verlag, http://www.kater-verlag.de/

La Maison du Dictionn
... See more
Hi.

There is a thread here where I found these references. I don\'t remember who posted it, but it was very helpful.

www.buecher.de

Kater Verlag, http://www.kater-verlag.de/

La Maison du Dictionnaire, Paris http://www.lmdd.com/fr/home.htm

Grant and Cutler, London http://www.grant-c.demon.co.uk/

I.B.D Ltd. http://www.ibdltd.com/

Routledge (http://www.routledge-ny.com/

I hope you find this as useful as I did.

Thanks again to the original poster.

Regards,

Patricia

[addsig]
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
German to English
+ ...
buecher.de Jan 16, 2002

FWIW, buecher.de no longer sells overseas, only within the EU or Europe.

Trudy

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
hey Patricia Jan 16, 2002

I think I was the one who posted it. Grant and Cutler is London is an incredible place. I almost emptied the bank when I was last there...the money that was supposed to go to a tic to see a show on West End went to an electrical engineering dictionary. Talk about torn apart. I think they ship orders.

Routledge in the US is good for those living in the Americas. I\'m sure their reach extends to our southern neighbors.

Trudy is right, buecher.de no longer
... See more
I think I was the one who posted it. Grant and Cutler is London is an incredible place. I almost emptied the bank when I was last there...the money that was supposed to go to a tic to see a show on West End went to an electrical engineering dictionary. Talk about torn apart. I think they ship orders.

Routledge in the US is good for those living in the Americas. I\'m sure their reach extends to our southern neighbors.

Trudy is right, buecher.de no longer ships to N.America (and for that matter, S. America). TOo bad, since their prices are really great and you get free shipping if you order >DM400.

IDB is also good and has more choices than Routledge but their prices are about 20-30 percent higher than buecher.de.

You should address this question to those living in Madrid and Barcelona. I am pretty sure there are specialized bookstores there (on-line or not) for us translators.

Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 22:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
a bookstore in Madrid Jan 16, 2002

I don\'t know if this will do you any good, but since Marcus mentioned it, there is at least one good specialized bookstore for translators here in Madrid:

Librería Don Libro

C/ Andrés Mellado, 29 (Esq. Meléndez Valdés). 28015 MADRID. Tel.: 915 44 70 70. Fax: 915 49 46 10. Especializada en diccionarios y libros de idiomas.

This is where I buy my dictionaries, and they have a nice selection for Spanish and English. I didn\'t find an e-mai
... See more
I don\'t know if this will do you any good, but since Marcus mentioned it, there is at least one good specialized bookstore for translators here in Madrid:

Librería Don Libro

C/ Andrés Mellado, 29 (Esq. Meléndez Valdés). 28015 MADRID. Tel.: 915 44 70 70. Fax: 915 49 46 10. Especializada en diccionarios y libros de idiomas.

This is where I buy my dictionaries, and they have a nice selection for Spanish and English. I didn\'t find an e-mail or web address (not on their invoices, either).

Good luck!

Cindy
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Kater-Verlag and ibd Jan 16, 2002

Check out Kater Verlag at www.kater-verlag.de.

They specialize in dictionaries, generally involving German as one of the languages, and their website contains many scans of the various books in their catalog, so you can browse before you buy. They do ship to addresses outside Germany (AFAIK, shipping within Germany is free, outside Germany at net postage).

In the US, there is also ibd:
... See more
Check out Kater Verlag at www.kater-verlag.de.

They specialize in dictionaries, generally involving German as one of the languages, and their website contains many scans of the various books in their catalog, so you can browse before you buy. They do ship to addresses outside Germany (AFAIK, shipping within Germany is free, outside Germany at net postage).

In the US, there is also ibd:

ibd Ltd. Foreign Language Dictionaries

www.ibdltd.com

They also have a good selection, but I must say that I\'ve always found their prices a bit on the high side.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online store to buy En,Ge>Sp dictionaries, glossaries?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »