How do unpublished manuscripts get translated and published?
Thread poster: Katharine Oden
Katharine Oden
Katharine Oden  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2021

Hello, all! Long-time member here with a first-time opportunity to translate for a German client who wants to find a US publisher. His original German manuscript is unpublished in Germany. We're wondering how to go about the translation and querying process.

Should I translate just an excerpt (that he pays for personally) and try to find an agent/publisher based on that? Or do agents/publishers demand a full translation (at the author's expense) of previously unpublished works?
... See more
Hello, all! Long-time member here with a first-time opportunity to translate for a German client who wants to find a US publisher. His original German manuscript is unpublished in Germany. We're wondering how to go about the translation and querying process.

Should I translate just an excerpt (that he pays for personally) and try to find an agent/publisher based on that? Or do agents/publishers demand a full translation (at the author's expense) of previously unpublished works?

Any help much appreciated.

Katharine
Collapse

Bruce Tuggy
Bruce Tuggy
United States
Local time: 00:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Publisher pays for a translation if they're interested in the manuscript Aug 25, 2021

I would suppose that it would be best to simply translate an excerpt, like you said, and show that to an agent. The original may still need more work before it's acceptable to a publisher, so everyone avoids wasting time and money.

At the publishing house where I was in charge of the Editing and Translation Department until last October 30, we arranged a contract with the author of a manuscript that interested us, including with it permission to translate the book. The desirability
... See more
I would suppose that it would be best to simply translate an excerpt, like you said, and show that to an agent. The original may still need more work before it's acceptable to a publisher, so everyone avoids wasting time and money.

At the publishing house where I was in charge of the Editing and Translation Department until last October 30, we arranged a contract with the author of a manuscript that interested us, including with it permission to translate the book. The desirability of the manuscript was established first before the translation was done. The cost of the translation was on the publisher, but then the publisher retained the copyrights, not the translators.

But in your case, you're hoping to avoid that scenario and do the translation yourself, probably giving the author the best product. When showing the excerpt to agents, be clear that the book will be fully translated before it's submitted to the publisher, and the author doesn't want to give the publisher the rights to translation.
Collapse

Katharine Oden

Katharine Oden
United States
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Bruce Aug 25, 2021

Great to hear your expert opinion. It sounds like we should go ahead and translate an excerpt, for starters, anyway. Of course, I'd prefer to eventually translate the whole book, for the sake of making a living and for consistency in the finished product, but it'll ultimately depend on the author's finances and artistic judgment. In any case, I'm excited for at least a slice of opportunity and your backing that it's a good idea.

All the best,
Katharine

Bruce Tuggy wrote:

At the publishing house where I was in charge of the Editing and Translation Department until last October 30, we arranged a contract with the author of a manuscript that interested us, including with it permission to translate the book. The desirability of the manuscript was established first before the translation was done. The cost of the translation was on the publisher, but then the publisher retained the copyrights, not the translators.

But in your case, you're hoping to avoid that scenario and do the translation yourself, probably giving the author the best product. When showing the excerpt to agents, be clear that the book will be fully translated before it's submitted to the publisher, and the author doesn't want to give the publisher the rights to translation.

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 09:49
Italian to English
+ ...
Doesn't sound like a goer Aug 26, 2021

I'm just saying this to save you both from wasting time and money:

I know of no cases where works unpublished in their original language have been published in translation, and I have years of experience in and around publishing. It's just not done. This might work if you try and sell film/TV rights for an idea, but unless you're already well-known or have privileged connections, that isn't going to happen either.

Of course, in theory there's nothing stopping you from t
... See more
I'm just saying this to save you both from wasting time and money:

I know of no cases where works unpublished in their original language have been published in translation, and I have years of experience in and around publishing. It's just not done. This might work if you try and sell film/TV rights for an idea, but unless you're already well-known or have privileged connections, that isn't going to happen either.

Of course, in theory there's nothing stopping you from translating the book and passing it off as an original work in English, but why do you think you'd find a taker if there aren't any for the German version?

[Edited at 2021-08-26 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Adieu
P.L.F. Persio
Katharine Oden
Aleksandra Nikolic
philgoddard

Bruce Tuggy
Bruce Tuggy
United States
Local time: 00:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wait till it sells in original language first Aug 27, 2021

I can see Tony Kelly's point. It might be best to let the book sell first in Germany, then translate an excerpt and show it to a literary agent. Sorry if that delays your hopes, but maybe not for a long time. Does the author have plans to sell the manuscript in Germany?

P.L.F. Persio
Katharine Oden

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Agree Aug 27, 2021

For every J. K. Rowling, there are hundreds of thousands of unemployed wannabes who will never ever be published and will remain on the dole.

And even she first got massive success in her original language before going global.

Unless you have some insight into why this person's chances are several orders of magnitude higher than usual, don't make the mistake of working for promises from a hopeful. For them, at least it's either a hobby or a self-worth-driving delusion.
... See more
For every J. K. Rowling, there are hundreds of thousands of unemployed wannabes who will never ever be published and will remain on the dole.

And even she first got massive success in her original language before going global.

Unless you have some insight into why this person's chances are several orders of magnitude higher than usual, don't make the mistake of working for promises from a hopeful. For them, at least it's either a hobby or a self-worth-driving delusion... for a translator, it is most likely a regular long boring job that you won't be able to collect payment for.

[Edited at 2021-08-27 05:36 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Katharine Oden

Katharine Oden
United States
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree it's a long-shot Aug 27, 2021

I had similar reservations. However, the author has good reason to believe the subject matter is better suited to the US market than the German one, and it is well written ("several magnitudes of order" above published works here in the US... that is a hard mark to attain).

I will probably offer him a quid-pro-quo of some kind (he has a platform on which he's offered to publish my own writing) and see what he thinks.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share honest o
... See more
I had similar reservations. However, the author has good reason to believe the subject matter is better suited to the US market than the German one, and it is well written ("several magnitudes of order" above published works here in the US... that is a hard mark to attain).

I will probably offer him a quid-pro-quo of some kind (he has a platform on which he's offered to publish my own writing) and see what he thinks.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share honest opinions.

Katharine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do unpublished manuscripts get translated and published?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »