Translating the symbols ® and ©
Thread poster: Gaeleath Taylor
Gaeleath Taylor
Gaeleath Taylor
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2021

Hi everyone, just throwing this out there. I have a couple of these symbols (® and ©) on a certificate that I need to translate from Spanish to English, but I don't know whether to include them as is, translate them in brackets (maybe?), write a footnote to explain them, or just leave them out and not include them. What's your advice on this issue? I'm leaning towards not including them or including them as is without translation or footnotes. I mean, they're not words to be translated, and ev... See more
Hi everyone, just throwing this out there. I have a couple of these symbols (® and ©) on a certificate that I need to translate from Spanish to English, but I don't know whether to include them as is, translate them in brackets (maybe?), write a footnote to explain them, or just leave them out and not include them. What's your advice on this issue? I'm leaning towards not including them or including them as is without translation or footnotes. I mean, they're not words to be translated, and even if I were to include them, as far as I know they have pretty much the exact same meaning and recognition on both languages. I'm no very sure though, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Gaeleath Aug 2, 2021

Typographic symbols are not translated.

Kang Seok Lee
expressisverbis

Taña Dalglish
Taña Dalglish
Jamaica
Local time: 00:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Typographic symbols Aug 2, 2021

I disagree with Teresa. You mentioned more than one usage of the symbols, so perhaps an explanation would be the way to go, thus avoiding repetition. However, the meanings are as follows:

The registered trademark symbol, ®, is a typographic symbol that provides notice that the preceding word or symbol is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office.

The registered trademark symbol, ®, is a typographic symbol that provides n
... See more
I disagree with Teresa. You mentioned more than one usage of the symbols, so perhaps an explanation would be the way to go, thus avoiding repetition. However, the meanings are as follows:

The registered trademark symbol, ®, is a typographic symbol that provides notice that the preceding word or symbol is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office.

The registered trademark symbol, ®, is a typographic symbol that provides notice that the preceding word or symbol is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office. A trademark is a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product.

Unregistered trademarks can instead be marked with the trademark symbol, ™, while unregistered service marks are marked with the service mark symbol, ℠. Ⓒ CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C (HTML Ⓒ ) The copyright symbol, or copyright sign, © (a circled capital letter C for copyright), is the symbol used in copyright notices for works other than sound recordings. The use of the symbol is described by the Universal Copyright Convention.

Translating everything is particularly relevant in the event that it is a sworn translator's statement, which you did not say.

Regards.

[Edited at 2021-08-02 20:19 GMT]
Collapse

Kang Seok Lee

Gaeleath Taylor
Gaeleath Taylor
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 2, 2021

Teresa and Taña, thank you so much for your very prompt response! That was a most excellent explanation. You included TM which I didn't mention, but is (in fact) included in the certificate, which won't be used as a sworn translator's statement, but rather to validate certain studies in a postgraduate program.

I've checked meanings for the symbols in both, the country of origin (Mexico) and the country where the translation will be used (USA), and they are the same, thankfully. So
... See more
Teresa and Taña, thank you so much for your very prompt response! That was a most excellent explanation. You included TM which I didn't mention, but is (in fact) included in the certificate, which won't be used as a sworn translator's statement, but rather to validate certain studies in a postgraduate program.

I've checked meanings for the symbols in both, the country of origin (Mexico) and the country where the translation will be used (USA), and they are the same, thankfully. So I'm inclined to think that I should definitely include them in the translation, in the exact places as were placed in the original source, would that be correct?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Gaeleath Aug 2, 2021

That's what I would do...

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Ctrl C - Ctrl V Aug 3, 2021

'Nuff said.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:29
French to English
Idem Aug 3, 2021

It would be an error to omit them, potentially a serious one. The symbols point to intellectual property rights. It attracts the reader's attention to their existence, or at least that such rights are claimed to exist. The academic world is rife with fiercely acquired and defended rights of this sort. To leave the out could be considered as a serious oversight on the part of a translator.

Veronica Montserrat
Arabic & More
Tina Vonhof (X)
Sara Massons

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating the symbols ® and ©

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »