University Transcript Translation - Course Titles
Thread poster: cible
cible
cible  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:17
Jun 29, 2021

I am translating a university (Canadian) from French to English and am wondering whether typically the course titles are translated. I imagine that they are, but it seems a bit odd to translated the course titles for individual universities.
I am hoping to hear from translators who are more accustomed to transcript translation, in the Canadian context.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
French to English
My experience Jun 29, 2021

Somewhere in the document it is important to have a reference to the full original language course title. The office that will be receiving the translation needs to be able to check certain information. To do so, they need an accurate reference of the source course titles.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Refer to the original Jun 29, 2021

When translating transcripts, one of the big headaches is formatting it to look like the source, especially when the source has complex tables with tiny fonts. So it's next to impossible to fit course titles in two languages into those teeny spaces.

I imagine that your client, when submitting the translated transcript, will also send along a copy of the original. If this is the case, you could use an asterisk referring to a note saying "for official course titles in French, please s
... See more
When translating transcripts, one of the big headaches is formatting it to look like the source, especially when the source has complex tables with tiny fonts. So it's next to impossible to fit course titles in two languages into those teeny spaces.

I imagine that your client, when submitting the translated transcript, will also send along a copy of the original. If this is the case, you could use an asterisk referring to a note saying "for official course titles in French, please see the original (attached)".
Collapse

ALEX TEGARTY
Tina Vonhof (X)
cible

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
If it's from Canada, FOR Canada... Jun 29, 2021

I imagine there would be official rules in a bilingual state. Probably with official translations for course names.

For rando foreign transcripts... there's a whole market for "favorable overreach" in interpreting the dang things to better suit their intended future application.

[Edited at 2021-06-29 23:42 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
You've already asked this question... Jun 30, 2021

... in KudoZ. Again, I can't see any possible reason to leave it untranslated.

cible
cible  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:17
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Jun 30, 2021

Thank you Jessica Noyes and Nikki Scott-Despaigne for you helpful input... I am now remembering why I had decided I didn't want to work on these docs, lol.
The idea of adding the asterisk Jessica is an excellent one.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
I stand corrected Jun 30, 2021

Upon seeing the query, I had to google the definition of "University transcript". Although I have a university degree myself, and a reasonably wide vocabulary, I originally thought it meant transcription of recorded material prior to translation, which I have done occasionally.

FWIW, this is the information I found from Edinburgh University (Scotland, UK).
"- Do you accept transcripts in any language?
If your original degree certificate, academic transcript or other rel
... See more
Upon seeing the query, I had to google the definition of "University transcript". Although I have a university degree myself, and a reasonably wide vocabulary, I originally thought it meant transcription of recorded material prior to translation, which I have done occasionally.

FWIW, this is the information I found from Edinburgh University (Scotland, UK).
"- Do you accept transcripts in any language?
If your original degree certificate, academic transcript or other relevant documents are not in English you must provide an officially certified translation.

Your certified translations must be provided either by:

the awarding institution
a sworn translator (this would be a translator sworn before a court in a non-UK jurisdiction)
a Fellow (FITI) or Member (MITI) of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), who may self-certify the translation
Find a list of Fellows and Members of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting:

Institute of Translation and Interpreting

If the translation is not provided by the awarding institution we will also ask you to provide:
confirmation from the translator or translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document
the date of the translation
the full name and signature of the translator or of an authorised official of the translation company
the translator or translation company's contact details

[Edited at 2021-06-30 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

University Transcript Translation - Course Titles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »