Translating stamps that prove payment of a monetary value
Thread poster: RLL2866
RLL2866
RLL2866  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:37
Jan 22, 2016

I am translating degrees, certificates, and transcripts.

Here in Chile, universities use stamps to show payment of the document. Generally there are multiple stamps in multiple places in the document. My colleagues translate these stamps as [university stamp] or [two university stamps], but I find that rather vague. However, I have also been told that it's not my job to explain the information, just state the information. Others have told me to write [stamp: payment fee]

... See more
I am translating degrees, certificates, and transcripts.

Here in Chile, universities use stamps to show payment of the document. Generally there are multiple stamps in multiple places in the document. My colleagues translate these stamps as [university stamp] or [two university stamps], but I find that rather vague. However, I have also been told that it's not my job to explain the information, just state the information. Others have told me to write [stamp: payment fee]

The stamp includes additional information, for example: 1000 pesos, Universidad de ______, Republica de Chile, and a picture of a famous sculpture with its name and location.

What is the best format and what information should be included to translate the stamp?
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
Spain Jan 22, 2016

Hello, RLL2866.

I'm a sworn translator in Spain (FR>ES).

I use to "translate" these stamps writing all the information they contain:

[stamp: payment fee]
1000 pesos
Universidad de ______
República de Chile

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2016-01-22 16:35 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes... Jan 23, 2016

... You need to translate ALL the words in the stamp. Only when illegible would I write something like [Fee Stamp].

However, when the same stamp is included multiple times on the same page, I will generally write:

[Three Stamps: Fee Paid $5.00 / University of Madrid / ..... ]

(I use the / instead of line breaks if I'm running out of space on the page)

[Edited at 2016-01-23 03:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating stamps that prove payment of a monetary value

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »