Thread poster: Aurélie Geldof-Eke
Aurélie Geldof-Eke
Aurélie Geldof-Eke  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
English to French
Sep 23, 2014

Hi,

Although I would love to do an MA in translation studies, money and time aren't on my side. I 'm preparing for the DipTrans and I am looking for coursebooks either in French or in English about translation from English into French.

I already have the "In other words" by Mona Baker. I guess something in French would be good. I had a look on amazon but I'm not sure what to go for.

Thank you

Aurélie

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 05:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Meaning-based Translation" by Mildred Larsson Sep 24, 2014

Hi,

The book I'm recommending is not English-French specific, but it is a very insightful book on the translation process. It's good for any language. I found it extremely useful and I recommend it to everyone who wants to be a professional translator.

Best of luck to you!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
My recommendation Sep 24, 2014

Before reading anything more recent, which might be given over largely to the technical/theoretical side so prevalent nowadays, I recommend "The Translator's Handbook" (with special reference to conference translation from French and Spanish) by Frederick Fuller. The version I have is published by Colin Smythe and it may be out of print, as it was ... See more
Before reading anything more recent, which might be given over largely to the technical/theoretical side so prevalent nowadays, I recommend "The Translator's Handbook" (with special reference to conference translation from French and Spanish) by Frederick Fuller. The version I have is published by Colin Smythe and it may be out of print, as it was published in 1973 and 1984.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Translators-Handbook-conference-translation/dp/0271034270

[Edited at 2014-09-24 07:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-24 07:06 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:07
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
Thinking French Translation Sep 24, 2014

I would recommend "Thinking French Translation" by Sandor Hervey and Ian Higgins as I am impressed by their other book "Thinking German Translation".

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 10:07
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Hated Meaning-Based Translation Sep 24, 2014

I did not find the mentioned book at all good and just sent it back, besides it being quite expensive €44.88 at a discount as I was offered a voucher, resulting in a 10% discount. It is based only on religious examples, without explanation, even if there is an accompanying book. I would find something simpler like the very famous and recommended during MA courses "In other words" by Mona Baker, but, seeing you already went through that, you should go for the one suggested and tried by Maria Po... See more
I did not find the mentioned book at all good and just sent it back, besides it being quite expensive €44.88 at a discount as I was offered a voucher, resulting in a 10% discount. It is based only on religious examples, without explanation, even if there is an accompanying book. I would find something simpler like the very famous and recommended during MA courses "In other words" by Mona Baker, but, seeing you already went through that, you should go for the one suggested and tried by Maria Popova, as you might now want to delve into French translation proper. As she said, do not go into anything too technical/theoretical only. Wish you luck.

[Edited at 2014-09-24 08:28 GMT]
Collapse

Aurélie Geldof-Eke
Aurélie Geldof-Eke  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 26, 2014

Thank you everyone for all your advice. I borrowed the "Introduction to Translation studies" by Munday in the meantime and it is very good.

I will work my way through the list of books you kindly recommended.

Thank you

Aurélie

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Another one for your collection Sep 26, 2014

'Stylistique comparée du français et de l'anglais' by Vinay and Darbelnet.

I have the English version. It's a translation-orientated analysis of the two languages, which has become a standard text for translators working in French and English.

[Edited at 2014-09-26 21:07 GMT]

Janet Ross Snyder
Janet Ross Snyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:07
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
La traduction raisonnée Sep 27, 2014

A friend of mine who studied translation in Montreal recommends:
La traduction raisonnée by Jean Delisle
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3198742-la-traduction-raisonnee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Coursebook Recommendation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »