Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:07
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 4, 2003

Hi everybody,

I think we all know and appreciate software such as Practicount, but there is one thing Practicount cannot do: counting words which are highlighted in a special colour. I mean, sometimes you get large documents which contain translated text and text to be translated (for example, the newest issue of a manual where you have to translate the new parts). Let's say it is a 50000-words-project but you only have to translate words in red (or in blue or whatever else). I had
... See more
Hi everybody,

I think we all know and appreciate software such as Practicount, but there is one thing Practicount cannot do: counting words which are highlighted in a special colour. I mean, sometimes you get large documents which contain translated text and text to be translated (for example, the newest issue of a manual where you have to translate the new parts). Let's say it is a 50000-words-project but you only have to translate words in red (or in blue or whatever else). I had such a job a few weeks ago and I had to spend several hours just to copy and past only the parts which were relevant for the invoice. So my question is: does anybody know about any software which can do the "dirty job" of counting just the words which are highlighted in a special colour?
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
I was asking myself exactly the same Dec 4, 2003

some months ago.
I think, a macro could do the job, but I have no further idea - how to record one or where to get it from.

Maybe someone else?

Regards
Andrzej

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Why should one waste time cutting and pasting? Dec 4, 2003

Take a save as copy of the finished file. Delete all the non-translated items. The remaining translated text wordcount is a cinch. Send the client both the files zipped together, the depleted file for wordcount proof.
This idea came to me from the way a new born baby's weight is taken. First the mother weighs herself and somebody hands over the baby to her and the weighing is repeated. Difference is the baby's weight and no need to worry about zero adjustment.

But then don't
... See more
Take a save as copy of the finished file. Delete all the non-translated items. The remaining translated text wordcount is a cinch. Send the client both the files zipped together, the depleted file for wordcount proof.
This idea came to me from the way a new born baby's weight is taken. First the mother weighs herself and somebody hands over the baby to her and the weighing is repeated. Difference is the baby's weight and no need to worry about zero adjustment.

But then don't be like the sweet young thing with the baby wailing in a helpless tone: "But I am not the baby's mother!"
Salut,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Use built-in MS Word 2002 'higlight same formatting' feature Dec 4, 2003

Arturo Mannino wrote:

does anybody know about any software which can do the "dirty job" of counting just the words which are highlighted in a special colour?

Every time I have coloured txt (or grayed DO_NOT_TRANSLATE fo that matter) I use MS Word built-in feature, that is, AFAIK, present from MS Word 2002 up.
1. Pplace cursor within the style of interest, say blue highlighted txt
2. Format>>Styles and Formatting>>Select* All Occurrences of this style.

This makes Word count and select all style occurences in the document. Then copy'n'paste the selected parts to the blank doc and use standard wordcount.

*could be highlight as well - not sure, as Im using a Polish version.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Word XP Dec 4, 2003

Right click on a (say) red text, select similar formatting ('Zaznacz tekst z podobnym formatowaniem' in a Polish version) copy and paste it to a new document. Now you can count it anyway you like. It solves a problem to some extent (red headers will not be included). If I have some time I shall write and post a macro solving a problem almost completely (not sure how a solution I am thinking of will work on text boxes).

Arturo Mannino
Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx to everybody Dec 4, 2003

Using Word's built-in solution of highlightimg all the text with the same format is a good step in the right direction. I'm very thankful for the suggestion. If I had thought about it a few weeks ago, I could have saved a lot of time. Yet I'm afraid it does not solve the entire problem: what about text in text boxes, notes a.s.o.?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
What can I say? Dec 4, 2003

Man wird alt wie ein Haus und lernt nie aus.

Those of you, who don't speak German, can post it as a question. As for myself, I don't know the English version, unfortunately.

Thanks for suggestions.
Andrzej

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:07
German to English
+ ...
You learn something new every day Dec 5, 2003

I don't think there is any really quick and easy way to handle text in text boxes, unfortunately!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improved word-count software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »