A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Local time: 03:38
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm temping as an in-house project manager for a company with a growing translations department and I'm looking for a translation management system that can handle the company's expansion and business for years to come. I'm looking for a long-term, reliable provider with good customer service.

So far it looks like the main choices are:

-SDL GroupShare - horrendous customer service so far and I'd really rather avoid them but any feedback greatly
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm temping as an in-house project manager for a company with a growing translations department and I'm looking for a translation management system that can handle the company's expansion and business for years to come. I'm looking for a long-term, reliable provider with good customer service.

So far it looks like the main choices are:

-SDL GroupShare - horrendous customer service so far and I'd really rather avoid them but any feedback greatly appreciated

-Translations.com's GlobalLink - given the company's reputation I'm not too thrilled to work with them, though their system looks fine

-memoQ Server - loving their customer service, would appreciate some feedback from current users

Thanks much!
Collapse

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can any translators or PMs weigh in? Dec 8, 2014

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can give me some pointers as there's not very much out there.

Thanks much!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Please... Dec 8, 2014

Whatever system you choose, make sure it's translator friendly. In my experience, they often make life a whole lot more complicated for us poor toilers at the coalface, and I find it hard to imagine that they improve the customer's productivity either.

My particular hate is SDL WorldServer, which is a nightmare, but I've yet to come across one that I like working with.

[Edited at 2014-12-08 18:55 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:38
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Translators point of view Dec 8, 2014

From a translators point of view, I have done projects with memoQ's server, without any problem.

Trados Studio's server works okay, but I find Studio itself difficult to use when connected to a server, it tends to freeze and have issues just when you don't need it.

As far as Translation Management portals go, I like TP-Box best. Clients who use this portal seem to have the least problems.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:38
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If you mean translating online, I avoid them all like the plague Dec 9, 2014

I have never worked with any of those you mention, so perhaps I have just been unlucky.

Not being able to build up my own TM and glossary, 'freezing' every time the system saves, keyboard changes... (I use a Danish-adapted QWERTY keyboard, which on one system would change without warning to a German AZERTY several times a day.)

The only way to change back was to shut down the entire system, count to 100 slowly and start up again - a restart was not enough.

... See more
I have never worked with any of those you mention, so perhaps I have just been unlucky.

Not being able to build up my own TM and glossary, 'freezing' every time the system saves, keyboard changes... (I use a Danish-adapted QWERTY keyboard, which on one system would change without warning to a German AZERTY several times a day.)

The only way to change back was to shut down the entire system, count to 100 slowly and start up again - a restart was not enough.

I spend all my time thinking about the mechanics of the system and cannot concentrate on translating when my own short cuts don't work...

I use SDL Studio - the freelance version, and most of my clients use SDL, so they obviously cope with the customer service, although I know nothing about it.
From a freelance point of view SDL has come a long way since they launched Studio, and I am really impressed with their service to freelancers. Of course Groupshare is larger and more complex. But I would try talking to them anyway.

The package system is fine if clients want to use that. For others I am happy to set up projects myself. Then I send SDLXLIFF files, TM extracts, glossary spreadsheets and so onfor them to handle afterwards or along the way, but offline.

I did try MemoQ and might consider it if I were starting from scratch today. I know others are very happy with it.

However, I decided I had plenty of work for SDL-based clients, and I am not flexible enough to keep changing systems. It is one or the other for me, and after giving MemoQ a try, I stayed with Studio.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 13:14 GMT]
Collapse

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! That's why I'd love to hear from translators :) Dec 9, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

Whatever system you choose, make sure it's translator friendly. In my experience, they often make life a whole lot more complicated for us poor toilers at the coalface, and I find it hard to imagine that they improve the customer's productivity either.

My particular hate is SDL WorldServer, which is a nightmare, but I've yet to come across one that I like working with.

[Edited at 2014-12-08 18:55 GMT]

I particularly hate everything SDL right now myself...

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! This is VERY helpful. Dec 9, 2014

John Fossey wrote:

From a translators point of view, I have done projects with memoQ's server, without any problem.

Trados Studio's server works okay, but I find Studio itself difficult to use when connected to a server, it tends to freeze and have issues just when you don't need it.

As far as Translation Management portals go, I like TP-Box best. Clients who use this portal seem to have the least problems.

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 9, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:

I spend all my time thinking about the mechanics of the system and cannot concentrate on translating when my own short cuts don't work...

I use SDL Studio - the freelance version, and most of my clients use SDL, so they obviously cope with teh customer service, althoug I know nothing about it.
From a freelance point of view SDL has come a long way since they launched Studio, and I am really impressed with their service to freelancers. Of course Groupshare is larger and more complex. But I would try talking to them anyway.

The package system is fine if clients want to use that. For others I am happy to set up projects myself. Then I send SDLXLIFF files, TM extracts, glossary spreadsheets and so onfor them to handle afterwards or along the way, but offline.

I did try MemoQ and might consider it if I were starting from scratch today. I know others are very happy with it.

However, I decided I had plenty of work for SDL-based clients, and I am not flexible enough to keep changing systems. It is one or the other for me, and after giving MemoQ a try, I stayed with Studio.

Thank you, Christine! These are definitely things I'll keep in mind while trying out different servers. Never thought keyboards would change like that, for example.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for feedback on translation management systems

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »