Studio 2021: two questions-- file type creation and Quickinsert-related
Thread poster: PapagenoX
PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 17:38
Feb 10, 2023

I recently have had to start using Trados Studio 2021, get it configured and such.

1st question: Working in the editor I ran into a target TU that lacked an inline tag that was in the source. In the pane above it also showed that it was missing from the target in the memory. I knew it was set up as a Quickinsert in the file type settings for the document type I was working on, so I used the assigned shortcut for the tag in question, and nothing appeared in the editor. I tried manu
... See more
I recently have had to start using Trados Studio 2021, get it configured and such.

1st question: Working in the editor I ran into a target TU that lacked an inline tag that was in the source. In the pane above it also showed that it was missing from the target in the memory. I knew it was set up as a Quickinsert in the file type settings for the document type I was working on, so I used the assigned shortcut for the tag in question, and nothing appeared in the editor. I tried manually opening the Quickinsert window and hitting the button after highlighting the desired quickinsert. Still no tag in the target unit. Is this a visibility thing only? Known issue? What's happening here?

2nd question: What is the appropriate way to set up a new file type for SGML source files of a given document type, working from the document's DTD file, in Studio 2021? I seem to be having some problems (like the above) simply importing my old file type settings from Studio 2015 and would like to start fresh. Is there a quick and dirty guide to it that explains the pitfalls?

For instance, before I would use an HTML document template (per what my older file types indicate). Now when I begin to set up a new file type I first get asked to set the type, with choices of Simple delimited text, HTML, XML 2 etc. Is HTML still the choice for SGML documents? The RWS documentation on this says I also have to set up a "unique" file type identifier. Can that be anything? The default that appears there is "Copy of Html File v 2.0.0.0".

I suspect I'm doing something wrong because when I browse for the dtd file and try to import it I get the error "Error opening import file! Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length"

[Edited at 2023-02-10 20:10 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:38
English to Russian
Tags Feb 10, 2023

Is it a formatting tag? You can try to change the formatting display style (Options - Editor - Formatting display style - select one of the options that shows tags).
Also you can insert tags either by pressing Ctrl+. and then select a tag or a pair of tags from the dropdown list, or Ctrl+clicking the source tag as shown in this video.

PapagenoX

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 17:38
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2021: two questions-- file type creation and Quickinsert-related Feb 11, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Is it a formatting tag? You can try to change the formatting display style (Options - Editor - Formatting display style - select one of the options that shows tags).
Also you can insert tags either by pressing Ctrl+. and then select a tag or a pair of tags from the dropdown list, or Ctrl+clicking the source tag as shown in this video.

Thanks, that did the trick. It was a formatting tag: an EMPH with an attribute value of BOLD or ITALIC. It must have been visible by default in previous versions of Studio. Does the CTRL-Alt-Right Arrow still work for popping tags from the source into the target?

Now if I can only figure out the other problem. Studio rejects all of our DTDs with the same error I mentioned in the OP. I may have to ask the boss to pay for the extortionate official tech support.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:38
English to Russian
RWS Community Feb 11, 2023

PapagenoX wrote:
Does the CTRL-Alt-Right Arrow still work for popping tags from the source into the target?
Yeap, CTRL-Alt-Right Arrow cycles tags from left to right.

Now if I can only figure out the other problem. Studio rejects all of our DTDs with the same error I mentioned in the OP. I may have to ask the boss to pay for the extortionate official tech support.
If I'm honest, I don't even understand the question. I think you'd better ask the RWS Community here: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/p/addpost
You can first post your question there. It is sort of opening a support ticket. There is a chance they can resolve the issue for you without an additional support agreement. If they consider it too technical, they will tell you so.

[Edited at 2023-02-11 12:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2021: two questions-- file type creation and Quickinsert-related

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »