Portugal
Local time: 03:46
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 15, 2022

Hello everyone!
I hope you are doing well.
Is there some magic trick that allows me to insert tags directly into the existing target text?
A client made a big mistake and sent me the wrong file at the beginning of the project!
Yesterday, when I sent him the translation, he told me that he couldn't use this file, because he couldn't import it into his platform without the "irritating" html tags and alon
... See more
Hello everyone!
I hope you are doing well.
Is there some magic trick that allows me to insert tags directly into the existing target text?
A client made a big mistake and sent me the wrong file at the beginning of the project!
Yesterday, when I sent him the translation, he told me that he couldn't use this file, because he couldn't import it into his platform without the "irritating" html tags and along with that he forgot some more text.
Wonderful, isn't it?
Many thanks for your help!
Sandra

[Edited at 2022-12-15 17:56 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 04:46
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I don’t know of any bulk insert way Dec 15, 2022

Is it a large file? As you have your TM, he can send you the new file with tags, run it through your TM, then go to Review/Verify and add missing tags where reported using the tag insert function clicking on tags from the source text. This is a manual way and you need to charge for these extra hours. I can’t think of anything faster.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Otherwise I wouldn't ask the question Dec 15, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Is it a large file? As you have your TM, he can send you the new file with tags, run it through your TM, then go to Review/Verify and add missing tags where reported using the tag insert function clicking on tags from the source text. This is a manual way and you need to charge for these extra hours. I can’t think of anything faster.

It is a large file and, yes, I know those procedures.
Maybe there is no faster solution...
Thanks for your help, Lingua 5B.

[Edited at 2022-12-15 18:15 GMT]

P.S.: I forgot something important... he is a very good client and obviously he pays for these type of tasks.

[Edited at 2022-12-15 18:42 GMT]

Lingua 5B

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
app Dec 15, 2022

I think the app "Trados Copy Tags" can help you here. You may want to combine it with a simple Autohotkey script.

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:46
English to Russian
Trados Copy Tags Dec 15, 2022

This app only inserts tags into blank target segments individually, which actually means manual work with each segment. It will take even longer than control-clicking the tags because you will also have to add translation after you insert the tags.
I am not aware of any straightforward solution or workaround for that.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it would take longer Dec 15, 2022

Thanks, James and Stepan.
Yes, it would be harder with that app.
I was hoping to find something that could do the trick.
Happy Christmas!

James Plastow
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
its quick guys! Dec 15, 2022

Assign a keyboard shortcut to copy tags (I use Ctrl K and got rid of the existing shortcut for that)

then hit
Ctrl A
Ctrl X
Ctrl K
Ctrl V

Very quick and very easy to automate in AHK

Happy Christmas to you both too!

[Edited at 2022-12-15 21:56 GMT]

expressisverbis

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Auto-insert tags function Dec 15, 2022

If you use Studio 2021 SR1 or later, you can try the auto-insert tags function (the default shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+Insert). It puts missing tags into the right places in the target, or at least tries to. It is not always accurate, does not work each time, and sometimes would crash my Studio app instantly. It needs the planets to be in perfect alignment, I suppose. When it works though, it is actually useful.

Some info and caveats below
... See more
If you use Studio 2021 SR1 or later, you can try the auto-insert tags function (the default shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+Insert). It puts missing tags into the right places in the target, or at least tries to. It is not always accurate, does not work each time, and sometimes would crash my Studio app instantly. It needs the planets to be in perfect alignment, I suppose. When it works though, it is actually useful.

Some info and caveats below:

https://docs.rws.com/813470/853391/trados-studio-2021-sr2/placing-tags-using--auto-insert-tags-

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/32696/placing-tags-using-auto-insert-tags---sr1-trados-studio-2021
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Darius! Dec 15, 2022

In the meantime, I have finished this tag task.
But I will take a look at those links!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ctrl A Ctrl X Ctrl K Ctrl V Dec 17, 2022

James Plastow wrote:
then hit
Ctrl A
Ctrl X
Ctrl K
Ctrl V
But it does nothing useful. First it inserts tags (Ctrl K in your case), then it inserts translation (Ctrl A/X/V). So what? Now you have tags and translation. You still have to put translation between tags in correct places...

James Plastow
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
Sure Dec 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

James Plastow wrote:
then hit
Ctrl A
Ctrl X
Ctrl K
Ctrl V
But it does nothing useful. First it inserts tags (Ctrl K in your case), then it inserts translation (Ctrl A/X/V). So what? Now you have tags and translation. You still have to put translation between tags in correct places...

Sure, but in some cases it is sufficient for the tags to just be present, not necessarily in the right place. This seemed to be the case based on the original query "because he couldn't import it into his platform without the "irritating" html tags"

Stepan Konev
expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
In some cases Dec 17, 2022

James Plastow wrote:
in some cases it is sufficient for the tags to just be present, not necessarily in the right place
Right, in some cases. But what if that is not their case? How do you know that after you spend time to insert tags, it will do the trick? Also, what if there are formatting (or any other) tags along with html tags? Trados Copy Tags will insert all tags without distinguishing them between html and formatting ones. And you still have to handle that. Probably it works in some cases but not always.

[Edited at 2022-12-17 13:44 GMT]

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »