Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:26
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Sep 6, 2022

I'm thinking about upgrading to 2022 from 2019 before I get really busy in November, but don't want to do it until the service pack is out. Had a quick look on the forum but couldn't see anything, so I assume it hasn't happened yet. Can anyone confirm, and does anybody know when it's slated to emerge?

As always, any additional views on whether or not the upgrade is worth it are welcome.

TIA
Dan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:26
English to Russian
List of CUs and SRs Sep 6, 2022

I think you can check this page from time to time to see if there are any updates: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000012378&fbclid=IwAR0AX9U1tMBhI7ptTJ3KLvyCX6A_dz7nrvJQjiWOgKzLNeGl9mfV241PpqA

Sebastian Witte

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
No sign as yet Sep 6, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
I think you can check this page from time to time to see if there are any updates:

Thank you Stepan. Nothing on there for 2022 yet but I will monitor.

Dan

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:26
Italian to English
+ ...
2022 OK, 30% discount Sep 7, 2022

Hi Dan
2022 is actually pretty stable, works fine, not much different to 2017.

RWS is offering a 30% discount on upgrades at the moment.
https://www.trados.com/store/upgrades.html

Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Dan Lucas

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:26
English to Russian
Answer May 17, 2023

RWS: It's not going to be this year
*Update: probably they mean a new version (upgrade) rather than a service release, but actually SR2 is sort of a new program and it is installed by upgrading too.

[Edited at 2023-05-17 15:30 GMT]

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
So far so good May 18, 2023

I downloaded the trial version of 2022, updated it, and used it yesterday or the day before (I have kept 2019 in place). It actually managed to convert and open a thumping great Word file that 2019 had balked at, so that's a win. Otherwise, very little seems to have changed, at least of the bits I use.

When you look at what Igor has accomplished with CafeTran on his own, you do wonder what the hell the Trados developers have been doing for the past five years.

Dan

Wolfgang Schoene
Hans Lenting
Stepan Konev
Matthias Brombach

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fool if you think it's over May 21, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
so that's a win

And today it has thrown a "This method/property must be called on the UI thread". Non-fatal, fortunately. I knew upgrading wouldn't be that simple, but I let hope triumph over experience...

Dan

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still on the fence Jul 8, 2023

Two months after my previous post and I find that I still haven't upgraded to 2022. Just not really seeing the improvement over 2019. It's not expensive, but £150 (if that is what it is?) is still £150 I could spend on other stuff, even on upgrading other software.

EDIT: I've just checked and the RWS website tells me that it's actually £409 to upgrade from 2019 Freelance Plus to 2022 Freelance if I'm prepared to drop the "plus" part of the license, and a whopping £633 to upgrade
... See more
Two months after my previous post and I find that I still haven't upgraded to 2022. Just not really seeing the improvement over 2019. It's not expensive, but £150 (if that is what it is?) is still £150 I could spend on other stuff, even on upgrading other software.

EDIT: I've just checked and the RWS website tells me that it's actually £409 to upgrade from 2019 Freelance Plus to 2022 Freelance if I'm prepared to drop the "plus" part of the license, and a whopping £633 to upgrade to 2022 Freelance Plus. That's actually more expensive than recent ProZ.com group buys, if I'm not mistaken.

That settles it. I'll just use 2019 until it is no longer possible to do so. I have the desktop installers carefully stored on my system, so I can probably reinstall on a new PC and get another three years out of 2019.

Funnily enough, 2019 is what my clients seem to be using and with every year that passes they use Phrase (Memsource) more and Trados less. If this trend continues then by 2026 I'll probably have so few Trados jobs that I can make do with Cafe Tran or something.

Well-played, SDL/RWS.

Dan

[Edited at 2023-07-08 16:32 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RWS Trados Studio 2022 service pack?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »