Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:16
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 31, 2022

Hi everybody,
A client of mine sends me very big trados packages (usually containing .idml files) in which most of the segments are locked. For such reason I prefer to perform a bilingual review in Microsoft word, which is much faster than trados, which freezes every time I change the active segment.
However, when I try to export selected segments from trados (using StudioViews or Trados toolkig, the export is successful but when I try to open the exported file I receive the followi
... See more
Hi everybody,
A client of mine sends me very big trados packages (usually containing .idml files) in which most of the segments are locked. For such reason I prefer to perform a bilingual review in Microsoft word, which is much faster than trados, which freezes every time I change the active segment.
However, when I try to export selected segments from trados (using StudioViews or Trados toolkig, the export is successful but when I try to open the exported file I receive the following error message: "Corrupt file: missing sub-segment content trans-unit with ID "xxxx"

Is there a way to solve this issue? Or do you know some other plug-in that I could try?
Thank you
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can filter out the locked segments May 31, 2022

You can filter out the locked segments, which should avoid the freezing problem.

In the bottom of Studio's screen, click on "All segments" and then choose "Not locked".

HTH

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unreliable May 31, 2022

Hi Yossi,
thank you for your reply.
Actually, as I said, we are talking about projects containing about 60-70k words, so trados is always slow and unresponsive, even if I filter the segments.
Apart from this, the software tends to close unexpectedly several times during the day and even saving a file would take about a minute (I use it since 2009, upgrading it each time a new release comes out), so I think Microsoft word is more reliable for performing a review..

vird

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Did you try the "Export for Bilingual Review" feature? May 31, 2022

The "Export for Bilingual Review" feature will not filter out the locked segments, but you get a Word file which you can import back to Studio.

vird

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
add-in May 31, 2022

Yes I know that
Thank you

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:16
English to Russian
Worth trying May 31, 2022

Once you have got the studioview file (as filtered), add it to the same project (drag and drop the studioview file into the source files list and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task) as if it was an individual file for translation. Then you will be able to export it for bilingual review. After you apply all your edits, update your studioview file from bilingual file (as edited). Finally, import the updated studioview file back into your original sdtlxliff file using the same studiovi... See more
Once you have got the studioview file (as filtered), add it to the same project (drag and drop the studioview file into the source files list and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task) as if it was an individual file for translation. Then you will be able to export it for bilingual review. After you apply all your edits, update your studioview file from bilingual file (as edited). Finally, import the updated studioview file back into your original sdtlxliff file using the same studioview plugin.

[Edited at 2022-05-31 17:36 GMT]
Collapse

vird

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same error message May 31, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Once you have got the studioview file (as filtered), add it to the same project (drag and drop the studioview file into the source files list and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task) as if it was an individual file for translation. Then you will be able to export it for bilingual review. After you apply all your edits, update your studioview file from bilingual file (as edited). Finally, import the updated studioview file back into your original sdtlxliff file using the same studioview plugin.

[Edited at 2022-05-31 17:36 GMT]

Hi Stepan, thank you for your help
I have followed your procedure. However, it gets stuck at the "convert to translatable format" step, where I get the same error message "Corrupt file: missing sub-segment content trans-unit with ID"

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
In which step do you get the error message? May 31, 2022

Do you get the error message when you try to import back from Word to Studio, or when you try to open the exported doc file in Word?

Which version of Word do you use? Studio accept back only files saved in Word 2007 or later.

[Edited at 2022-05-31 18:42 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
SDLXLIFF file May 31, 2022

The problem is with SDLXLIFF file, not Word. The message says "missing sub-segment content trans-unit with ID number ...". Something is wrong with that translation unit. If you know how to find it, you can try to translate/edit or lock it, then generate a studioview file again and repeat the procedure. Export the entire file for external review, open it and search for the id.2022-05-31_230758
Not only the id string is hidden but its font size is 1. You have to unhide them first, by replacing all hidden characters with the same unhidden characters for example.
Find what: (*) / wildcards on /hidden
Replace with: blank string / unhidden 2022-05-31_232157

[Edited at 2022-05-31 20:28 GMT]

vird

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
error code Jun 1, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

The problem is with SDLXLIFF file, not Word. The message says "missing sub-segment content trans-unit with ID number ...". Something is wrong with that translation unit. If you know how to find it, you can try to translate/edit or lock it, then generate a studioview file again and repeat the procedure. Export the entire file for external review, open it and search for the id.2022-05-31_230758
Not only the id string is hidden but its font size is 1. You have to unhide them first, by replacing all hidden characters with the same unhidden characters for example.
Find what: (*) / wildcards on /hidden
Replace with: blank string / unhidden 2022-05-31_232157

[Edited at 2022-05-31 20:28 GMT]

Thank you Stepan,
actually the code is something like "3bfc4a66-92f0-40ff-86c1-f61dd17e8981"

vird

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Exactly Jun 1, 2022

Bruno Depascale wrote:
Thank you Stepan,
Yes, that’s right. If you manage to find it, you will know the problem segment.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same code Jun 2, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:
Thank you Stepan,
Yes, that’s right. If you manage to find it, you will know the problem segment.

Hi Stepan,
actually I have noticed that this error code is always the same, regardless of the project that I open, so I don't think it is related to a specific segment in the project..

vird

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting selected segments from trados for bilingual review

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »