expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:56
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 9, 2022

Hello!
In the last few days I have been getting the following message about Spelling Checker.
I found some solutions online, but nothing worked...
Has anyone had the same problem before and solved it?
The error is "HRESULT Exception 0x800706BA".
Many thanks!
Sandra

Capturar

vera secorzinska (X)

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 18:56
French to Italian
+ ...
temporary solution Mar 9, 2022

Ciao Sandra,
I'm having the same issue. I enable the spellchecker as shown below when this happens. But the error still occurs every now and then.

Screenshot_6

[Edited at 2022-03-09 16:15 GMT]

expressisverbis
vera secorzinska (X)
Yaotl Altan

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
I don't use Trados, but... Mar 9, 2022

...is the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service running?

expressisverbis
vera secorzinska (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RPC Mar 9, 2022

Elena Feriani wrote:

Ciao Sandra,
I'm having the same issue. I enable the spellchecker as shown below when this happens. But the error still occurs every now and then.

Ciao Elena,
I do exactly the same thing, but I would like to fix it for good.

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

...is the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service running?

Hello Novian,
Many thanks!

So, I have followed these steps:

How to fix the RPC server error
Fortunately, the error can be resolved easily and quickly. You just need to restart the service.
• From the Start menu (Windows symbol) open the Control Panel.
• Select “Administrative Tools” and then “Services”. Alternatively, you can enter “Services” in the search bar.
• Find “DCOM Server Process Launcher” in the list and double-click to open it.
• You are now in the configuration menu for the RPC server. Ideally, the “Startup type” should be set to “Automatic” and the “Service status” should show “Running”. If this is not the case, set the “Startup type” to “Automatic” and click the “Start” button under “Service status”. Click “OK” to confirm.
• Now close any programs you have running and restart your computer.

https://www.ionos.co.uk/digitalguide/server/configuration/the-rpc-server-is-unavailable/

The RPC was set to “Manual” and I have now changed it to “Automatic”.

Capturar1

Let’s see what happens from now on.
Wish me luck

[Edited at 2022-03-09 17:26 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Elena Feriani
vera secorzinska (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The error message keeps showing up... Mar 11, 2022

and I suspect this has something to do with Office 365.
I have Office 2013 installed in a second computer and both Trados Studio versions (2019 and 2021) work fine with Word Spell Checker.
The most annoying is that every time my settings are changed to the Hunspell Checker, I get the old Portuguese spelling agreement, while I need to use the new official spelling agreement in European Portuguese.
I will try to contact RWS staff... and I hope I can get rid of this.
I will
... See more
and I suspect this has something to do with Office 365.
I have Office 2013 installed in a second computer and both Trados Studio versions (2019 and 2021) work fine with Word Spell Checker.
The most annoying is that every time my settings are changed to the Hunspell Checker, I get the old Portuguese spelling agreement, while I need to use the new official spelling agreement in European Portuguese.
I will try to contact RWS staff... and I hope I can get rid of this.
I will share a solution here with you, if I get it.
What a nuisance!
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
vera secorzinska (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Apr 24, 2022

My suspicion was confirmed.
To fix this error, I performed an Office 365 repair and Trados Spelling Settings no longer show "Hunspell" as the default spelling checker - which I couldn't use because the Portuguese language had its spelling changed by an idiotic 1990 spelling agreement that was only implemented in Portugal and in Brazil a few years ago. Hunspell uses the old PT spelling agreement, while Word Spell Checker uses the new one.
I wanted to share this possible solution with
... See more
To fix this error, I performed an Office 365 repair and Trados Spelling Settings no longer show "Hunspell" as the default spelling checker - which I couldn't use because the Portuguese language had its spelling changed by an idiotic 1990 spelling agreement that was only implemented in Portugal and in Brazil a few years ago. Hunspell uses the old PT spelling agreement, while Word Spell Checker uses the new one.
I wanted to share this possible solution with everyone and express my thanks to a very cool Prozian colleague who suggested this repair!
Collapse

vera secorzinska (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
Yaotl Altan

Diana Pacheco Amaral
Diana Pacheco Amaral
Spain
Local time: 18:56
Member (2022)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
How to perform an Office 365 repair? May 19, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

I wanted to share this possible solution with everyone and express my thanks to a very cool Prozian colleague who suggested this repair!

Olá expressisverbis,
I'm having the same issue that you described, could you please explain how exactly you fixed Office 365?
Thank you so much!
Diana

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to... May 19, 2023

Diana Pacheco Amaral wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Olá expressisverbis,
I'm having the same issue that you described, could you please explain how exactly you fixed Office 365?
Thank you so much!
Diana

Hi Diana,
I no longer use Office 365. I have switched to Office 2021.
However, to fix this, just go to Control Panel, click on "Office 365" and select "Repair" or "Modify".
You can follow these simple steps here to guide you:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Also, you can try the solutions provided above by our colleagues.

Good luck

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:56
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who? May 21, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

... which I couldn't use because the Portuguese language had its spelling changed by an idiotic 1990 spelling agreement that was only implemented in Portugal and in Brazil a few years ago...

Who decided that? A language academy?

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More than one language Academy May 21, 2023

Yaotl Altan wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

... which I couldn't use because the Portuguese language had its spelling changed by an idiotic 1990 spelling agreement that was only implemented in Portugal and in Brazil a few years ago...

Who decided that? A language academy?

It was signed in Lisbon, on 16 December 1990, at the end of a negotiation, begun in 1980, between the Sciences Academy of Lisbon and the Brazilian Academy of Letters.
There is an article that states the Orthographic Agreement aims to end some of the spelling divergences that exist between the two spellings, European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, as well as to allow some of these divergences to coexist, giving them the name of double spellings. This agreement is, above all, an attempt to create a single spelling standard, favoring phonetics and, thus, bringing the spoken language closer to the written language. In Portugal it was only fully implemented in 2015, if I am not mistaken and my memory serves me well.
This is not true, unifying the spelling would mean unifying the phonetic part as well, since both variants have totally different sounds, which would be impossible, not to mention the different regional sounds in both countries...
Just to give an example, in the word "fact", the "c" is pronounced in PT-PT ("facto"), while in PT-BR it isn't (fato). A "fato" for a PT-PT native is always a suit, but for PT-BR is a fact only, and the "terno" (suit) is their "fato"
Confusing? No, Portuguese and Brazlian can understand each other and now much more due the high level of Brazilian migration during the last years.
I diverted the subject but a question was asked and here is the answer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying Spell Checker Message

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »