Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2010

Further to a previous post (about the German language), it would be interesting to see how Internet addresses are pronounced in different languages - after all, you never know when you may need them...

So how would you pronounce:

a) an e-mail address in your country

b) an Internet web page address?

I'll start off:

PORTUGUESE:

[email protected] is pronounced "a-b-c arroba
... See more
Further to a previous post (about the German language), it would be interesting to see how Internet addresses are pronounced in different languages - after all, you never know when you may need them...

I'll start off:

PORTUGUESE:

[email protected] is pronounced "a-b-c arroba d-e-f ponto com ponto b-r" (letters pronounced separately and in Portuguese way, although if a word is spelt the word would probably be pronounced as a unit)

For English speakers, "arroba" is pronounced "a-RRAW-buh" and "ponto" is "PON-too".

www.proz.com/forum is pronounced "www ponto proz ponto com barra forum"

"ponto" as above

"barra" is "BAH-ha"

and "proz" in Portuguese would probably be "prózz" (rhyming with "because")
Collapse

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 11:12
Spanish to English
Peru Feb 10, 2010

Here it's "arroba" and "punto", with the occasional "guión" or "slash".
What is most interesting is the failure here to use the arroba (a measurement from Arabic, which was picked up as "at" in English as a unitary measure) in POS merchandising, usually having an "x". In fact, items in stores on sale at "2 for 49" are normally indicated as "2 X 49."

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dutch calls @ Feb 10, 2010

monkey tail (apestaartje). It actually looks like that and considering some of the stuff sent through email, a very apt expression.

Henry Werner
Henry Werner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:12
Danish to German
+ ...
@ in Danish Feb 10, 2010

In Danish, it is "snabel-a" (trunk-a).

Henry Werner
Henry Werner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Danish to German
+ ...
@ in German Feb 10, 2010

And in German, it was called Klammeraffe (spider monkey) in the pioneer days of internet. Today, most Germans simply call it "at" - like in English.

[Edited at 2010-02-10 04:52 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:12
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Japanese Feb 10, 2010

[email protected] in Japanese:

e as in "bent", b "as in bee", c "as in sea", @ (atto maaku, Japanese way of pronouncing "at mark") d, as in "defense" or de as in "day", and f as in "effort"
. (dotto, Japanese way of pronouncing dot) com as in "commune" and r as in "are".

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:12
Danish to English
Danish Feb 10, 2010

They say "snabel a" with "a" as in hat (approx). "snabel" means an elephant's trunk. The first time I heard this I could hardly believe it. I don't live there, so maybe they use other expressions as well. Any suggestions from Danish speakers??

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
@ in Swedish Feb 10, 2010

Brilliant thread Paul Dixon! Thanks!

In Swedish it used to be 'snabel-a' ('Trunk a' )

but the more versed users (an increasing number of people) say 'at'.

Mats

Alexandra Krah
Alexandra Krah  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Romanian
+ ...
@ Romanian Feb 10, 2010

@ is called "a-rond" (round a). In the early days of internet it was also called "coadă de maimuţă" (monkey tail).

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
@ in Italian Feb 10, 2010

they say chiocciola (kee-OTCH-ola, more or less), which means "snail" - also very appropriate.

So [email protected] would be a (like hat) b chee chiociolla d e (like egg) eff-eh (long f, two syllables) punto eat (prono
... See more
they say chiocciola (kee-OTCH-ola, more or less), which means "snail" - also very appropriate.

So [email protected] would be a (like hat) b chee chiociolla d e (like egg) eff-eh (long f, two syllables) punto eat (pronounced as short as possible) or punto ee t - some people pronounce the it as one word, some as separate letters.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Snabel-a is still going strong in Danish Feb 10, 2010

Brian Young wrote:

They say ´snabel a´ with ´a´ as in hat (approx). ´snabel´ means an elephant´s trunk. The first time I heard this I could hardly believe it. I don´t live there, so maybe they use other expressions as well. Any suggestions from Danish speakers??

The stress is on the first and last syllables. ´At´ is a Danish word by itself, and usually pronounced fairly indistinctly. It would probably get lost among the other elements in an e-mail address.

I know when I tell people my address over the phone that there is a kind of relief when we get to the snabel-a. Something recognisable at last!

The full stop at the end is called punktum, followed by dk
It is impossible to spell the pronunciation. The u is as in English short oo, and the dk roughly ´dé keau,´ as the vowels sound a bit French to UK English speakers, but the consonants are pronounced with the tongue far closer to the front teeth than in French...

The Danish Language Council recommends spelling it with the hyphen.

[Edited at 2010-02-10 08:42 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
ZA Feb 10, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

The @ is informally called "aapstert" in Afrikaans (similar to Dutch, but unlike in Dutch, using the Afrikaans word is always regarded as an attempt at humour).

Afrikaans (in e-mail addresses): by (literally at)
Afrikaans (in price lists): teen (literally at, in the other sense)
ZA English: at

Language purists in Afrikaans say "punt" (literally point or full-stop) for the dots in e-mail and web addresses. I have also encountered "kolletjie" (little dot), but it is not very common. The most common word for the dot is "dot" (dot, pronounced in the Afrikaans way).

There is no short word in Afrikaans for slash or forward slash, so Afrikaners typically don't mention the "http : / /" part of web addresses, or if they do, they use the English word "slash". Attempts by Afrikaans radio stations to introduce the word "per" (per) for slash hasn't been overly successful. Where the English word for slash isn't used, "skuinsstrepie" (literally oblique little line) might be used, although skuinsstrepie-skuinsstrepie (for slash-slash or double slash) is a tongue twister.

When omitting the "http : / /" from a web address that doesn't start with www, the speaker would typically just say "sonder die www" (without the www"), and then there is no need to say "http : / / ".

In Afrikaans hacker talk, the bang is called "klap" (literally strike, slap or hit), but the general public don't have a clue what this is and use "uitroepteken" (exclamation mark) instead.

Olga Derenko
Olga Derenko  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:12
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
in Russian and Ukrainian Feb 11, 2010

it is "собачка" - "sobachka" (pronounced: 'sabAchka' in Russian and 'sobAchka' in Ukrainian), which means "a little dog".

It is interesting that many languages interprete this sign as an animal /part of an animal.

dkalinic
dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
in Croatian Oct 1, 2010

@ is called at in Croatian (pronounced et).

Regards,
Davor

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:12
Korean to German
+ ...
in Korean Oct 1, 2010

In Korean it's sometimes called "at" but most of the time golbaengi (whelk - kind of snail)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation of @ et al. throughout the world

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »