Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2013

For some reason, my main user account on my laptop running Windows 8 now refuses to work. Fortunately, I have another user account that seems to be fine, so I can still use the computer and access most of my files from the main user (and anything properly important gets saved to Dropbox anyway).

All of my MemoQ projects/other info was saved to the 'my documents' folder on the user area that no longer works. I can open the projects from here so haven't lost anything in that way. Unfo
... See more
For some reason, my main user account on my laptop running Windows 8 now refuses to work. Fortunately, I have another user account that seems to be fine, so I can still use the computer and access most of my files from the main user (and anything properly important gets saved to Dropbox anyway).

All of my MemoQ projects/other info was saved to the 'my documents' folder on the user area that no longer works. I can open the projects from here so haven't lost anything in that way. Unfortunately, however, my main French>English TM no longer works and since it has close to 20,000 entries in it, this is quite a problem for me. I stupidly hadn't made a back up since completely a few relatively large projects. All the other TMs are completely fine so I don't know why it's just this one that has been affected.

If I try to 'repair resource', the error message 'The translation memory cannot be reindexed. Standard exception: End of file' appears. Any help would be supremely appreciated.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hm... Talk to support Jul 5, 2013

Does not ring a bell. I totally recommend to contact Kilgray's support about this. They might have some idea.

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 04:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
End of file does not sound promising Jul 7, 2013

Hi Charlotte,

To me, the end of file exception unfortunately looks like one that indicates the files of the TM were damaged. If you did not have a backup most probably it's not possible to get it back This damage is usually done by either viruses or anti-virus software, interestingly.

István

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks István Jul 7, 2013

I have managed to recover most of the TM from other places but still a bit of a pain. Thanks for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't use TM after PC issues

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »