Thread poster: Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Local time: 07:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 27, 2013

Hi guys

I have to proofread a Word text with the source and target in two columns. I would like to do it in MQ. Is there a possibility to import it as a bilingual file? Any suggestion?

Thanks a million!

JC

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Excel + Multilingual delimited text filter? Jun 27, 2013

Hi,

If it's pretty much just plain text in the Word document (no bold/italics/different font colours etc.), you could copy the columns into an Excel spreadsheet and import it using the new Multilingual delimited text filter ("Simple bilingual configuration" with the tick box "Import target text" selected). Then you just need to paste the proofread target column back into the Word document after exporting the clean Excel file.
Another option could perhaps be to use a Word macr
... See more
Hi,

If it's pretty much just plain text in the Word document (no bold/italics/different font colours etc.), you could copy the columns into an Excel spreadsheet and import it using the new Multilingual delimited text filter ("Simple bilingual configuration" with the tick box "Import target text" selected). Then you just need to paste the proofread target column back into the Word document after exporting the clean Excel file.
Another option could perhaps be to use a Word macro to turn the table into a bilingual doc format that MemoQ can handle. I think this is possible with e.g. Plustoyz, but I haven't tried it myself.
A third option could be to align the two columns in LiveDocs, copy the source column into the target column, hide the original source column and pre-translate the document in MemoQ. At least in in theory you should be able to rely on context matches to reproduce the original translation units in the translation grid.

/Johan
Collapse

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
With Plustoyz Jun 27, 2013

Thank you Johan,

I didn't find that 'Multilingual delimited text filter' (I'm using MQ 6.0), but it seems Plustoyz can do it.

Best Regards
JC

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Introduced in 6.2 Jun 27, 2013

Hi,

it was introduced in one of the last versions of 6.2, that's why. Good luck!

Kind regards,
Johan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text with two columns

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »