software translation - i was wondering whether any of you had any general tips
Thread poster: stephanieL
stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
Jan 29, 2007

hi. im about to start translating a software. i have never done any such thing before and i was wondering whether any of you had any general tips .. where do i find the translation for a technical term or phrase? ...

thank you.

stephanie

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Local time: 15:47
English to Latvian
+ ...
MS Glossary Jan 30, 2007

stephanieL wrote:

where do i find the translation for a technical term or phrase? ...

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx

Şadan Öz
Şadan Öz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:47
English to Turkish
Context Jan 30, 2007

While translating the sentences or similar items, be careful for context. Sometimes you may see one word such as "To:" or "From:"
If you unsure what does it mean, ask client, if possible.
Try to find helpful descriptions and any other material about the software.
Good luck

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use Microsoft glossaries Jan 30, 2007

If you are translating a software that runs on Windows platform, you may find MS glossaries useful:

(sorry, I clicked the button twice

[Edited at 2007-01-30 11:27]

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use Microsoft glossaries Jan 30, 2007

If you are translating a software that runs on Windows platform, you may find MS glossaries useful:

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask the client for glossaries and... Jan 30, 2007

My advice would be the same as László's, nevertheless I would also ask the client for any specific glossaries/style guides they might already have that could help you out with the translation.

Plus, if you are not already (depending on the format your translation is), I would use a CAT tool specific for sotware localisation.

Just a couple of ideas... Spero ti aiutino!

Ciao,

Cris
... See more
My advice would be the same as László's, nevertheless I would also ask the client for any specific glossaries/style guides they might already have that could help you out with the translation.

Plus, if you are not already (depending on the format your translation is), I would use a CAT tool specific for sotware localisation.

Just a couple of ideas... Spero ti aiutino!

Ciao,

Cristina

[Edited at 2007-01-30 13:12]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:47
English to French
+ ...
Questions Jan 30, 2007

Are you translating a software interface? Are you translating a software manual? What kind of files are they?

If you are translating a manual, make sure you have some screen captures also. In this case, that would be your context. Also, if such is the case, make sure that the interface is also translated. If the interface is not going to be translated, then all elements of the interface should stay in the source language, with their translations next to them between parentheses.
... See more
Are you translating a software interface? Are you translating a software manual? What kind of files are they?

If you are translating a manual, make sure you have some screen captures also. In this case, that would be your context. Also, if such is the case, make sure that the interface is also translated. If the interface is not going to be translated, then all elements of the interface should stay in the source language, with their translations next to them between parentheses.

As a guideline, since softwares tend to be repetitive work, make sure you stick by each term you come up with. Use your TM to your advantage. In case you have any doubts in the process, make sure you collect the questions in a document, but also make sure you insert something directly into the target segment to mark places where you had doubts (in general, inserting QQ is good because it is almost impossible to come across a word in any language that has the letter Q twice in a row). Whenever you have answers to all your questions, you will be able to just search the document for all mentions of QQ and that will make things a lot easier.

I am working on a 400+ page software manual (split between me and another translator). What a mess! Too many things to watch out for, too many questions to ask. That is why the golden rules are to keep extremely well organized and to insert question marks wherever you have the slightest doubt so you can find all errors without having to read everything again and again to find errors. This will save you a lot of time!

All the best!
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 14:47
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Special jargon and conventions Jan 30, 2007

Be aware that software strings and manuals usually have their own jargon and conventions, which you should follow as much as possible.

For instance, the standard menu items - such as "edit", "view", "insert" etc. - are translated the same across all programs. Or instructions such as "Click Open to open a new file" tend to be translated in a specific syntax in your target language, and there are also conventions how to render the text of buttons and menu items (bold, quotation marks
... See more
Be aware that software strings and manuals usually have their own jargon and conventions, which you should follow as much as possible.

For instance, the standard menu items - such as "edit", "view", "insert" etc. - are translated the same across all programs. Or instructions such as "Click Open to open a new file" tend to be translated in a specific syntax in your target language, and there are also conventions how to render the text of buttons and menu items (bold, quotation marks, etc.)

Unless you are familiar with those conventions and style, make sure you check pretty much every word against the Microsoft glossaries (although be aware they contain many inconsistencies and also errors) and other software UIs or manuals. A simple little word such as "view" will stick out like a sore thumb if translated incorrectly and mark your translation the work of a beginner.

You probably also need to have a good understanding of some of the more technical aspects such as installation, deinstallation, error messages, hardware peripherals, etc. In many cases, it's not enough just to know the word in the target language, but in order to make sense of often rather cryptic program strings, the more you know about the computers, software, hardware, peripherals, etc., their functions, and the way they work, the better.

Translating software is a highly specialized area and ideally you should have a certain background in that area before taking on such an endeavor (as with any kind of area of specialization). If you don't have that background and you're really interested in getting into this area (and not just because you have this one project you'd like to do), find yourself an experienced colleague willing to proofread your translation (you'd probably have to pay for that service) and provide advice along the road.

In order to do a good job, you will have to spend a lot of time doing terminology research - as with any new area you'd try to start out in. The tricky thing is that this also includes words you use evey day, just because they might be used in a different way or with a specific translation you're not aware of. In relation with the time spent, you'll probably make very little money.

If you're interested in this area of specialization and would like to work more in this area, it will be time well spent. If you're not interested in this area and don't have the necessary background, don't do the translation.
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Letture (rapide) consigliate Jan 30, 2007

http://www.linux.it/tp/buona_traduzione.html

Altri ottimi link si trovano in:
http://acattelan.altervista.org/doku.php?id=manuale_di_stile

Ciao

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Jan 31, 2007

Thank you guys for your precious advice .. I will most probably be back with more questions!

Later!

stephanie

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Software messages and feasability of project / French to Italian. Feb 6, 2007

Hi all,

I am not sure i am doing the right thing here, writing a reply rather than posting a new topic. Anyway, hoping someone will actually see this, I have started the translation and I have many questions most of which are for the client but could you comment on the following translations:

MSG: Nom du fichier export = Nome (del?) file(di?) esportazione

MSG: Il n'y a aucun résultat pour cette sélection = La selezione non ha prodotto alcun risultato / Ne
... See more
Hi all,

I am not sure i am doing the right thing here, writing a reply rather than posting a new topic. Anyway, hoping someone will actually see this, I have started the translation and I have many questions most of which are for the client but could you comment on the following translations:

MSG: Nom du fichier export = Nome (del?) file(di?) esportazione

MSG: Il n'y a aucun résultat pour cette sélection = La selezione non ha prodotto alcun risultato / Nessun risultato trovato

MSG: Texte de l'entête du formulaire de réservation = Testo dell’ intestazione del modulo di prenotazione

MSG: Période non paramétrée = ...

I am translating a software used to run campsites. I believe there are 24000 messages or something to be translated and, as I have said before, this is my first attempt at software translation.. Do you think I can make it alone?

Thank you in advance.

stephanie
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Software messages Feb 7, 2007

Hi Stephanie,

You should use Kudoz for this.

Maurizio Valente
Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
Suggestion Feb 7, 2007

You might refer to Microsoft glossaries (downloadable). Unfortunately they always have English as source language, so you should search the French sentence/word(s) on the En>Fr glossaries, and then search the corresponding English member on the En>It glossaries.

stephanieL wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

stephanie

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 9, 2007

Thank you Hynek and Maurizio,

I'll try Kudoz then.

stephanie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

software translation - i was wondering whether any of you had any general tips

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »