Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 25, 2008

G'day everyone

I see an Arabic PO file displayed in two different ways in two PO editors. Can you tell me which one is correct? If not PoEdit, can you tell me how to coax PoEdit into displaying it correctly?

PoEdit:

VirTaal:

See more
G'day everyone

I see an Arabic PO file displayed in two different ways in two PO editors. Can you tell me which one is correct? If not PoEdit, can you tell me how to coax PoEdit into displaying it correctly?

PoEdit:

VirTaal:

Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
English to Spanish
PoEdit Arabic display is wrong Oct 25, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

PoEdit's picture shows wrong handling of Arabic. Text must be aligned to the right and the scroll bars should be on the left side.

VirTaal's picture shows the text with correct orientation.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Subhan Fakhrizada
Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:20
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
VirTaal Oct 25, 2008

Hi Samuel,

The second screen shoot, the VirTaal, display the Arabic script correctly. I am not sure how to fix the PoEidt, as i have not worked with it, but sometimes it could be fixed by changing the witting option from Left-to-Right to Right-to-Left.

regards,
Subhan

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:20
German to English
+ ...
PoEdit 1.3.9 on Linux Oct 26, 2008

The language here is Farsi (hope that doesn't make any difference, couldn't find a short Arabic .po file on the net). It seems to be displayed correctly in the editing pane with the cursor moving in the correct direction. I don't think the alignment in main display window is too important is it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The correct way to display Arabic script in a PO editor

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »