Getting started - seek advice on CAT tools, job sources.
Thread poster: Marc Kuypers (X)
Marc Kuypers (X)
Marc Kuypers (X)
Local time: 12:40
Russian to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 22, 2002

Hello,

Although I qualified as a translator Russian and English to Dutch what now seems ages ago, I have always worked in aviation and done only a limited number of freelance translations. I now want to get really into translating and have some questions:

1/What CAT is generally recommended for freelancers. (I now use a downloaded trial version of Wordfast)

2/Is it possible to get an acceptable number of translating jobs via the in
... See more
Hello,

Although I qualified as a translator Russian and English to Dutch what now seems ages ago, I have always worked in aviation and done only a limited number of freelance translations. I now want to get really into translating and have some questions:

1/What CAT is generally recommended for freelancers. (I now use a downloaded trial version of Wordfast)

2/Is it possible to get an acceptable number of translating jobs via the internet forums like this one?

Any other tips for getting started in Belgium are always welcome

Thanks

M.Kuypers
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:40
SITE FOUNDER
(1) Most CATs have trials (2) Develop various job sources Dec 22, 2002

(1) You are taking the right approach trying the CAT tools out. Most have trials; if Wordfast is not enough for you, see which one suits you best by downloading, or by discussing in forums like the ProZ.com CAT center: http://www.proz.com/cat/

(2) Many people get a fair bit of work from sites like this, and some people are kept busy for months at a time. But my recommendation is that you plan to get only 1
... See more
(1) You are taking the right approach trying the CAT tools out. Most have trials; if Wordfast is not enough for you, see which one suits you best by downloading, or by discussing in forums like the ProZ.com CAT center: http://www.proz.com/cat/

(2) Many people get a fair bit of work from sites like this, and some people are kept busy for months at a time. But my recommendation is that you plan to get only 10-20% of your work here, and that only after some work.

Advice for getting jobs here:

- Create a complete online profile. Make clear a distinct area of specialization.

- Be active in KudoZ

- Invest in platinum membership

Advice for getting jobs elsewhere:

- Join your local association

- Go to powwows

- Create your own website

- Register elsewhere

- Join an association in your field of specialization

- Contact agencies and end-clients in your area of specialization

- Create a glossary in your area of specialization and make it available to others

- Use ProZ.com mailing features to contact others in your geographic area or area of specialization to make yourself available for overflow work, or as a potential teammate on future projects

I also recommend you read through past \"getting established\" topics, where many excellent approaches have been suggested.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:40
German to English
+ ...
Getting started Dec 24, 2002

Dààg Marc,

You asked:

>>What CAT is generally recommended for freelancers.
BR>>Is it possible to get an acceptable number of translating jobs via the

internet forums like this one?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started - seek advice on CAT tools, job sources.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »