Soledad Caño  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2005

Hello to everyone!!
Although I often read messages in the forum, this is the first time I post one. I am Uruguayan and I have worked as a private English teacher and a University teacher for many years and also as a translator in my “free” time. I had reached a point in my career where things were supposed to go smoothly. Yet, I became a "trailing spouse". My husband was re-located to Buenos Aires, and here I am, starting over once again. Among the many changes this relocation implied,
... See more
Hello to everyone!!
Although I often read messages in the forum, this is the first time I post one. I am Uruguayan and I have worked as a private English teacher and a University teacher for many years and also as a translator in my “free” time. I had reached a point in my career where things were supposed to go smoothly. Yet, I became a "trailing spouse". My husband was re-located to Buenos Aires, and here I am, starting over once again. Among the many changes this relocation implied, I decided that I could grab the opportunity to change my working profile and become a full-time translator. There is only one catch… the new market. Most of my work as a translator in Uruguay was due to word of mouth, so as you probably imagine this new market is rather puzzling to me. I am working with some Uruguayan clients but I still have plenty of free time (thanks to Proz I don’t get too bored). I would appreciate any useful tips. Thanks a lot
PS: Should I change “Uruguay” in my profile?
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:43
French to Spanish
+ ...
Bienvenida, pues... Dec 19, 2005

...Soledad.
Un buen "tip" fue meterte a ProZ, y como miembro "plátano", como algunos decimos con humor.
¿Más tips? "Alimenta" tu perfil, envíalo a las agencias, y no dejes de participar acá.
Saludos desde México.

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:43
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hello Juan, Dec 19, 2005

This is an English language forum, so please can you post in English?
On the other hand, I do recommend that Soledad also post on the Spanish forum as I know that the Argentinian community is the strongest on proz and that its members will fall over backwards (must be all that tango they dance!) to help.
Good luck!
Angela

Juan Jacob wrote:

...Soledad.
Un buen "tip" fue meterte a ProZ, y como miembro "plátano", como algunos decimos con humor.
¿Más tips? "Alimenta" tu perfil, envíalo a las agencias, y no dejes de participar acá.
Saludos desde México.

Marisa Condurso de Nohara
Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Soledad (a member of our family, though "cruzando el charco") Dec 19, 2005

Hi Sole!
How is it that you are getting bored in B.A.? Come on, cheer up! You are not far from home, rather in another part of OUR ("Argen+Uru") country.
Change "Uruguay"??!! You should be proud of it. I would not change "Argentina" for any reason. Well, see... I'm starting a little bit late today, so I have to speed up some pieces of translation. But, later either you write me (will be pleased to receive an email from you in ArgenUruguayan) or I'll give you some tips I was given t
... See more
Hi Sole!
How is it that you are getting bored in B.A.? Come on, cheer up! You are not far from home, rather in another part of OUR ("Argen+Uru") country.
Change "Uruguay"??!! You should be proud of it. I would not change "Argentina" for any reason. Well, see... I'm starting a little bit late today, so I have to speed up some pieces of translation. But, later either you write me (will be pleased to receive an email from you in ArgenUruguayan) or I'll give you some tips I was given to improve my profile some time ago.
But for the time being, read as much as you can in our site. There's plenty of information I haven't read yet!
Bienvenida hermana!
Collapse

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome to Argentina Dec 19, 2005

Hi, Soledad.

Why don't you have a look at the Spanish forum?
You'll get lots of information there. Let me know if I can be of help.

Graciela

Soledad Caño
Soledad Caño  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 20, 2005

I really appreciate your support, tips and suggestions… it does make me feel welcome to this community and to the country. I totally agree with McNohara that being in Argentina is very much the same as being in my own country. I am very lucky indeed. I will have a look at the Spanish forum. “See” you again soon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New in the forum – New in Argentina

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »