Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jun 2, 2004

Hi,
I was wandering if somebody could tell me how to charge for voice recording. I have done it previously but I charged a fix amount and it took me more time that i thought. Should I charge per hour or is there any better way.

Thanks

Arben Seva
Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Voice recording Jun 3, 2004

I have been asked to record some already translated material. Of course during the recording I\'ll have to do the proofreading as well. There are not any requirments for artistic quality. I agreed already in a price per word, but I was just wondering if someone could advice a better way. When I first started working as freelance translater I did another small job like this. I was asked to translate a text and also record it. As i didn\'t knoW how to charge, charge the same amount for the transla... See more
I have been asked to record some already translated material. Of course during the recording I\'ll have to do the proofreading as well. There are not any requirments for artistic quality. I agreed already in a price per word, but I was just wondering if someone could advice a better way. When I first started working as freelance translater I did another small job like this. I was asked to translate a text and also record it. As i didn\'t knoW how to charge, charge the same amount for the translation and also for the recording. But i realised that i spent more time doing the recording (about 30 min of talking but it took me 3 hours to do it right). So I was just wondering about collegues with similar experiences.

All the best
Collapse

Omar Osman
Omar Osman
Local time: 07:20
Somali to English
+ ...
Charge per Hr Jun 4, 2004

I do one recording every two /three months, I charge per Hr and I know based on the word count how many Hr it will take. In one occasion a company needed me to go and do the recording in their offices, they paid me for 7 Hr at the "interpreting rate".
If you are able to make your own recording and produce the CD than you can charge more. For example if you need to record a text of 1000 words you should charge £100.00 (If it includes the CD) plus expenses(cost of CD+ post), in addition t
... See more
I do one recording every two /three months, I charge per Hr and I know based on the word count how many Hr it will take. In one occasion a company needed me to go and do the recording in their offices, they paid me for 7 Hr at the "interpreting rate".
If you are able to make your own recording and produce the CD than you can charge more. For example if you need to record a text of 1000 words you should charge £100.00 (If it includes the CD) plus expenses(cost of CD+ post), in addition to that they should pay you between £20.00 and £35.00 to proofread the document (If you didn't translate it). Remember that this prices are very low, so don't let any agency push you around. To do a recording in a studio it cost £160.00 (for the first 3 Hr) to use the facility plus £70.00 for each Wav file produced. This prices are based on a market research I made last year.
Many companies are now converting one of their rooms into a studio in order to save production cost and keep most of the profit. Hope it helps
Omar
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for voice recording

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »