Thread poster: Richard Hill
Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:22
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Aug 16, 2011

After my post asking for tips on alignment a few weeks back I came across this tool and have been using to tool called SuperAlign to align documents quickly and effectively. Its user-friendly and keeps track of your alignment project if your aligning multiple files. It's worth reading the instructions for optimum results. Anyway, as nobody mentioned the tool in my previous post, I thought I'd post... See more
After my post asking for tips on alignment a few weeks back I came across this tool and have been using to tool called SuperAlign to align documents quickly and effectively. Its user-friendly and keeps track of your alignment project if your aligning multiple files. It's worth reading the instructions for optimum results. Anyway, as nobody mentioned the tool in my previous post, I thought I'd post the link: http://www.soft112.com/superalign-p269213.html. As was recommended to me in my previous post I have also used PlusTools and LF Aligner which are great tools too.

Rich
Collapse

Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Rich! Aug 17, 2011

thank you for sharing the link.

But before I download it I would like to confirm... Would it work with wordfast, or it is intended to be used independently?

TIA,
Katia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Odd "open source" project Aug 17, 2011

rich. wrote:
I came across this tool and have been using to tool called SuperAlign to align documents quickly and effectively.

It claims to be open source, but the source files haven't been uploaded yet even though the compiled version has been sitting there since January 2010:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/superalign/

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordfast Aug 17, 2011

perry wrote:
Would it work with wordfast

It's a template that is opened directly in MS Word and after alignment you have the option to save as TMX TM, Wordfast TM or Tab Delimited

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Open source Aug 17, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
It claims to be open source, but the source files haven't been uploaded yet even though the compiled version has been sitting there since January 2010:

Hi Samuel
I hadn't noticed that.
There is an email in the help file so I've asked re your doubt. I'll post his reply if he gets back to me.

Rich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@rich Aug 17, 2011

rich. wrote:
After my post asking for tips on alignment a few weeks back I came across this tool and have been using to tool called SuperAlign to align documents quickly and effectively.

SuperAlign is based on HunAlign (same as LF Align) but is started from within MS Word, and the post-alignment checking is also done in MS Word, using shortcuts or buttons, in a style very similar to that of PlusTools. A boon is the ability to handle multiple files simultaneously, and I also like the fact that customising the segmentation configuation file (a plaintext linebreak-demilited file) is very easy.

However, in a test on a small 5000 word file, it was quite a bit slower than PlusTools... in fact, I had to kill the task after waiting 15 minutes while the progress bar was at roughly the middle.

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
had to kill the task Aug 17, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
However, in a test on a small 5000 word file, it was quite a bit slower than PlusTools... in fact, I had to kill the task after waiting 15 minutes while the progress bar was at roughly the middle.

Hey Samuel

I haven't had that problem. Or which task did you have to kill? "Convert Selected"? I have an ongoing alignment project going on with around fifty source and fifty target files ranging between 3000 and 30000 words. After reading your response, I just converted a 30,000 word file to TMX and it took just 6 seconds. Or am I misunderstanding you regarding the task you had to kill?

update coming - Open Source Aug 24, 2011

Hi, I did this tool for a project I was working on about two years ago, and posted it as I kind of liked it, and thought it would be useful. Then forgot about it...

Meanwhile various bugs were handled etc., so if there is need, I can get this updated.
As to it being OpenSource, I can post the source (never got around to it last time) though my way of programming has built in (otherwise unintended) obfuscation.... See more
Hi, I did this tool for a project I was working on about two years ago, and posted it as I kind of liked it, and thought it would be useful. Then forgot about it...

Meanwhile various bugs were handled etc., so if there is need, I can get this updated.
As to it being OpenSource, I can post the source (never got around to it last time) though my way of programming has built in (otherwise unintended) obfuscation.
I don't know the "market" on such tools in 2011. Is it worth putting any time in it? Or is there a better alternative anyway?

Peter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

great alignment tool

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »