Any information about The Translators & Interpreters Guild?
Thread poster: Carline Dumoulin
Carline Dumoulin
Carline Dumoulin
United States
Local time: 02:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2008

Does anyone have updated information on TTIG? I have been trying for the past few months to contact them and even to go to their website, to no avail. The phone number listed as 301-563-6450 has been disconnected with no further number provided and the website does not work. Is this Association still in operation? If so, any updated information will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carline

Jeff Skinner
Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
TTIG is still here. Nov 17, 2008

We're just struggling a lot more than we'd like to be. There isn't much to report other than that we're trying to get back on our feet with the basics - phone, address, website - and we hope to be active in the translation community again, preferably sooner than later.

spanishinterp
spanishinterp
Local time: 23:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still trying to get TTIG up and running? Mar 10, 2009

Hi, Jeff. I, too, was looking for TTIG and came across this thread instead. If you're interested in some free web presence and other links that can help TTIG get back on its feet, please let me know; that's how I've been able to get my business up and running on a zero budget with just me (no employees). Best of luck!

James Shipp
James Shipp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:59
Russian to English
Translators Guild History Sep 5, 2021

I was one of the original founders of the The Translators Guild (TTG) back in 1990 or so. Seven of us met at The Newspaper Guild (TNG) headquarters for two years to get it up and running. A real AFL/CIO union for translators! Freelancers wouldn't join for fear of agency retribution and workload curtailment. TTG slowly morphed into The Translators and Interpreters Guild (TTIG) and became a part of the Communication Workers of America (CWA). The last I checked, it was still languishing somewhere i... See more
I was one of the original founders of the The Translators Guild (TTG) back in 1990 or so. Seven of us met at The Newspaper Guild (TNG) headquarters for two years to get it up and running. A real AFL/CIO union for translators! Freelancers wouldn't join for fear of agency retribution and workload curtailment. TTG slowly morphed into The Translators and Interpreters Guild (TTIG) and became a part of the Communication Workers of America (CWA). The last I checked, it was still languishing somewhere in California and was mostly catering to court interpreters. After a 50-year career, I still sit at my desk 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, waiting for assignments that never arrive. I eventually had to drop out of TTIG because I couldn't afford the additional dues, but at least I tried.

TTIG
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any information about The Translators & Interpreters Guild?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »