Ana Battaglia
Ana Battaglia  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 8, 2005

Hi,

How much is it normally charged (per minute)for subtitling a video? The texts are required in word format and the volume is considerable.

Thanks a lot,
Laura

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:09
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
a real proposal per minute was 5.5 USD and they were looking for lower price Mar 8, 2005

A job proposal 2 months ago:

http://www.proz.com/job/69009

Posted on: Jan 6
By or on behalf of:
Production Manager Job #69009
(Click for details) English > Bengali
English > Bosnian
English > Bulgarian
English > Burmese
English > Byelorussian

Prenatal Development subtitle translation

We have a
... See more
A job proposal 2 months ago:

http://www.proz.com/job/69009

Posted on: Jan 6
By or on behalf of:
Production Manager Job #69009
(Click for details) English > Bengali
English > Bosnian
English > Bulgarian
English > Burmese
English > Byelorussian

Prenatal Development subtitle translation

We have a 43-minute video for which we have created English subtitles and need translation (see sample). The video is called "The Biology of Prenatal Development".

We would send you the English template as a Word file, and you would replace the English subtitle text with your translation and send back to us as a Word file.

Please translate the sample.

We are offering $5.50 per program minute for this assignment, or we will take into consideration the lowest bid.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:09
French to Spanish
+ ...
Veamos... Mar 8, 2005

...y me permito escribir en español, con perdón de los moderadores.
Ana, vas a hacer una traducción PARA subtitulaje, no subtitulaje, son dos cosas muy diferentes.
¿Qué material te van a dar, qué vas a tener que hacer?
¿Vas a traducir de oído, o te van a dar los diálogos?
Por lo que dices de Word, no te están pidiendo que tomes los tiempos, sino que hagas una traducción literal.
¿Estás en Argentina?
Si te dan la lista de diálogos y haces una tra
... See more
...y me permito escribir en español, con perdón de los moderadores.
Ana, vas a hacer una traducción PARA subtitulaje, no subtitulaje, son dos cosas muy diferentes.
¿Qué material te van a dar, qué vas a tener que hacer?
¿Vas a traducir de oído, o te van a dar los diálogos?
Por lo que dices de Word, no te están pidiendo que tomes los tiempos, sino que hagas una traducción literal.
¿Estás en Argentina?
Si te dan la lista de diálogos y haces una traducción literal en Word, sin tomar tiempos, un dólar por minuto está bien pagado, según yo.
Suerte.
Collapse

fsa
fsa
Indonesia
Local time: 13:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Why pay/charge by the running minute? Mar 15, 2005

Hi,
I'm doing film translations (English-Asian language) right now. Clients send me the scripts and I charge by the word, as usual. For both the translator and the client it means no surprises before or after a translation is finished.

If you have even a medium-good relationship with the client, you might ask them for a word count of the script. Page counts, if you still use them, won't work because film scripts don't usually fill up a page tight with text.

Then
... See more
Hi,
I'm doing film translations (English-Asian language) right now. Clients send me the scripts and I charge by the word, as usual. For both the translator and the client it means no surprises before or after a translation is finished.

If you have even a medium-good relationship with the client, you might ask them for a word count of the script. Page counts, if you still use them, won't work because film scripts don't usually fill up a page tight with text.

Then you can multiply the word count times your usual translation rate and compare that sum with the client's running time rate. See if it works for you and adjust the price, if necessary.

Remember, there is a difference between regular translating work and translating film scripts. With film scripts you spend extra time with the following:
(1) If it's for subtitles, you must spend some extra time worrying about your translation fitting into a small space at the bottom of the screen.
(2) If it's for dubbing, you must worry that your translation into the target language doesn't take longer to say - speak - than the original script language. I work with translators who use stopwatches to ensure their translations fit!

Good luck.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pricing (video, per minute)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »