CAT tools for subtitling
Thread poster: Optical
Optical
Optical
Local time: 04:54
English to German
Sep 14, 2004

Hi everyone!

I am just evaluating software for a subtitling company and am curious if there are any CAT tools available which integrate or are integrated into subtitling software.
To my mind it would be very beneficial for subtitling companies if they could use Translation Memories for their work as well.

Thank you for your help!

Andreas

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
RE: CAT for subtitling Sep 14, 2004

I do not think this is a good idea, CAT applications only take care about repeated sentences but subtitling is more than that. Time is more important than a good translation, very often you need to transform a sentence completely just to fit in time the scene you are working on.
Subtitling is in fact a very artistic work.

Regards

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
On the other side... Sep 14, 2004

Toledo wrote:
Time is more important than a good translation, very often you need to transform a sentence completely just to fit in time the scene you are working on.

I Agree entirely. However, the advantages of smart Translation Memory use could go beyond blind pasting, and help recover good solutions found in the past.

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
So far there are none. Sep 14, 2004

I don't know of any subtitling software integrated CAT tools
and have never heard of anything alike. It might lead to laziness, who knows. Existing cat tools can be used after the translation is completed with the subtitling software and you could build a translation memory by using the export option of the subtitling software and compare documents in Word. But still a bad idea, same word, sentence may be translated differently according to tone, character, space...

Optical wrote:

Hi everyone!

I am just evaluating software for a subtitling company and am curious if there are any CAT tools available which integrate or are integrated into subtitling software.
To my mind it would be very beneficial for subtitling companies if they could use Translation Memories for their work as well.

Thank you for your help!

Andreas

[Edited at 2004-09-14 18:29]

[Edited at 2004-09-14 18:30]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
all the software I know Sep 14, 2004

Toledo wrote:

I do not think this is a good idea, CAT applications only take care about repeated sentences but subtitling is more than that. Time is more important than a good translation, very often you need to transform a sentence completely just to fit in time the scene you are working on.

Regards

are win2020, EZTitles, poliscript, tv2000 etc., but they do not come with CAT integration. For some reason one just might do the subtitling and may be load the text part into a cat for further processing.
Regards,
brandis

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:54
No offense but ... Sep 15, 2004

... using CAT for subtitles sounds like a bad idea if I've ever heard one.

Optical
Optical
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
ok, but... Sep 20, 2004

ok, I agree with Toledo and Luca Tutino, but I don't think it would lead to laziness since you hardly ever can just copy and paste former translations anyway.
However, I think it would be quite useful for subtitiling some stuff from channels like e.g. MTV where there occur lots of repetitions in certain shows.

Regards,

Andreas

YvesM
YvesM
Luxembourgish to English
+ ...
It depends... Sep 21, 2004

If your or the client's subtitling program can export the subtitles as XML, you can probably use any CAT tool for translating them. If not there is AFAIK only DVX that handles the EBU format (a common-denominator format for most subtitling programs).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for subtitling

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »