English subtitles to a Russian cinematography masterpiece
Thread poster: Mikhail Kriviniouk
Mikhail Kriviniouk
Mikhail Kriviniouk  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:49
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2004

I have made English subtitles for the "Kin-dza-dza!" film, considered by many impossible to translate, from scratch. I had to do it since all I could find available was of abominable quality... I have it in MS Word .doc (text, numbered lines), the .sub format timed for the DivX (.avi on CD) release of the film by LIZARD and for the DVD (.sup). The film with my subtitles was shown to numerous British viewers always with great success. (I started by interpreting the thing simultaneously for variou... See more
I have made English subtitles for the "Kin-dza-dza!" film, considered by many impossible to translate, from scratch. I had to do it since all I could find available was of abominable quality... I have it in MS Word .doc (text, numbered lines), the .sub format timed for the DivX (.avi on CD) release of the film by LIZARD and for the DVD (.sup). The film with my subtitles was shown to numerous British viewers always with great success. (I started by interpreting the thing simultaneously for various groups of people in the UK while playing the film off VHS three years ago and had the idea of subtitling it since). I know how to achieve understanding since I am "bicultural" should we say.

What do I do with it now, considering all the copyright issues etc.? Lovely film everyone who considers him/her self interested in Russia should watch.

[Edited at 2004-06-07 01:47]

[Edited at 2004-06-07 01:49]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 23:49
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
don't get it, sorry Jun 7, 2004

What do you mean by asking "What do I do with it now, considering all the copyright issues etc.?"

You did what you were probably contracted for (otherwise you would not ask)); got paid (or not, depending upon a contract and a client)..but it's all done. As you said, it was shown, (the film - the movie, you probably mean), then... this is it.

"Lovely film everyone who considers him/her self interested in
... See more
What do you mean by asking "What do I do with it now, considering all the copyright issues etc.?"

You did what you were probably contracted for (otherwise you would not ask)); got paid (or not, depending upon a contract and a client)..but it's all done. As you said, it was shown, (the film - the movie, you probably mean), then... this is it.

"Lovely film everyone who considers him/her self interested in Russia should watch."

The movie is very good indeed, I love it the cast is just great) but it is philosophical - a bit alien to a westerner, and, well, old. (Not as old as, say, "Potyomkin", but still..:-))
There is not much about today's Russia in it, I bet.
Translators can hardly get any royalties ever if that what you meant asking what to do with it... And, the sum would be pretty insignificant anyway.

Very best to you from Vancouver,
V.
PS: And I would not call it "the Russian" but more "the Soviet" cinematography masterpiece.

[Edited at 2004-06-07 03:12]

[Edited at 2004-06-07 03:13]
Collapse

nothing
nothing
Local time: 05:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
- Jun 7, 2004

You can contact the distribution company, I suppose, in case they are interested. It will not be easy. If they think they are not likely to sell any more copies of the video or DVD, or of re-releases, they are not likely to be interested.
Still, it is becoming a cult film, so maybe there will enough interest eventually.

Because of copyright issues, there is not much more you can do. But if the company is not interested and is not going to reissue, maybe there is a way around
... See more
You can contact the distribution company, I suppose, in case they are interested. It will not be easy. If they think they are not likely to sell any more copies of the video or DVD, or of re-releases, they are not likely to be interested.
Still, it is becoming a cult film, so maybe there will enough interest eventually.

Because of copyright issues, there is not much more you can do. But if the company is not interested and is not going to reissue, maybe there is a way around it. I know the film has enough fans that offer to download it and perhaps there would be an opportunity for a website.

You could also try the producers. Maybe the distribution company did not buy internet rights for the film.

In any case, distributors often buy the distribution rights for a number of years, not forever, so if someone else is interested in distributing the film, there is an opportunity for a new, better translation.

I don't know if I have been of any help or if you would get any money out of it. Good luck, Mikhail!
Collapse

Annais
Annais
English
looking for kin dza dza english subtitles Dec 29, 2005

i saw this movie, liked but desperatelly need the translation in english! if anyone can help me would be wonderful! reply to me, please, on my email adress: [email protected]
thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English subtitles to a Russian cinematography masterpiece

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »