personalized vocal commands - preferred vs. pro
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:32
French to English
Jul 19, 2010

Dragon Preferred 10 users, please give me your insight before I purchase...

I want to use DNS with Wordfast Classic (MS Word environment), will I be able to set personalized vocal commands for Alt+down and other common keyboard shortcuts? Or do I need to get the Professional version to do that? According to the Nuance sales person I spoke to today, I should get the Pro version if I need to set my own commands, and before I commit to that extra expense, I just wanted some third-party
... See more
Dragon Preferred 10 users, please give me your insight before I purchase...

I want to use DNS with Wordfast Classic (MS Word environment), will I be able to set personalized vocal commands for Alt+down and other common keyboard shortcuts? Or do I need to get the Professional version to do that? According to the Nuance sales person I spoke to today, I should get the Pro version if I need to set my own commands, and before I commit to that extra expense, I just wanted some third-party confirmation, thanks!!
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
correct Jul 19, 2010

The information is correct - you'll need the pro version for that.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Just speak the shortcut Jul 19, 2010

Given the price difference, I would think twice before going for Pro. You don't need Pro to make key combinations work.

Help DNS v8 (in FR):
Vous pouvez dire « Touche » ou « Appuyer sur » suivi d'une combinaison de touches de modification (Maj, Contrôle, Alt) puis d'une lettre, d'un chiffre, d'un symbole, d'une touche de direction, etc.

You can also use a combination of keyboard and voice to work. This is what I use with my DNS Preferred 8, and I would assum
... See more
Given the price difference, I would think twice before going for Pro. You don't need Pro to make key combinations work.

Help DNS v8 (in FR):
Vous pouvez dire « Touche » ou « Appuyer sur » suivi d'une combinaison de touches de modification (Maj, Contrôle, Alt) puis d'une lettre, d'un chiffre, d'un symbole, d'une touche de direction, etc.

You can also use a combination of keyboard and voice to work. This is what I use with my DNS Preferred 8, and I would assume that Pro is overkill in a standard dictation setup (unless you miss one or two hands).

Hope it helps,
Philippe
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
AutoHotkey Jul 20, 2010

I use AutoHotkey for all key combinations of several CAT tools. This way, I only have to say: Press F2, and Trados - or MemoQ or Passolo or ... - obediently goes to the next fuzzy match. I think this is much easier to say and to remember than the different tripple key combinations.

I just have to activate/deactivate the correct code in AutoHotkey. And the code is pretty straightforward:
;next fuzzy MemoQ
F2::
Send ^{Enter}
Return

(Send key comb
... See more
I use AutoHotkey for all key combinations of several CAT tools. This way, I only have to say: Press F2, and Trados - or MemoQ or Passolo or ... - obediently goes to the next fuzzy match. I think this is much easier to say and to remember than the different tripple key combinations.

I just have to activate/deactivate the correct code in AutoHotkey. And the code is pretty straightforward:
;next fuzzy MemoQ
F2::
Send ^{Enter}
Return

(Send key combination Ctrl Enter)

The German Dragon command for the above has 10 syllables, way too long! The command "Taste F2" has only 4.

You can also code product or company names or words that Dragon always misunderstands that occur again and again in your translation. "Press Alt P", or whatever your preferred choice might be, - and you get the whole thing inserted without typos. And the command is easy to remember if you use the same command for different products/companies in different projects. Just modify the code, and you're ready to go.

;product name
!p::
Send XYZ
return

And if you're not dictating, the same defined key combinations can of course be used manually as well. So instead of having to press multiple keys, you can just press one of the function keys.

Can't imagine life before AutoHotkey!

I forgot to say that I use the Preferred version.

[Edited at 2010-07-20 03:55 GMT]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 22, 2010

thank you all for your excellent advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

personalized vocal commands - preferred vs. pro

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »