Thread poster: Bogdan Dusa
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Possible scam Jan 10, 2013

Maybe someone should send an e-mail to PayPal. I am sure this is against their policies somewhere.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:32
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Unique Selling Point Jan 10, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

And their slogan on ProZ.com is "A Translation that suits your nedds!". All of these things say "steer clear".

Not if you've got nedds with particular requirements that you haven't been able to fulfil elsewhere (and let's face it, nedds can be tricky things to satisfy) - then it would be a perfect slogan.

Nelida Kreer
Nelida Kreer  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam I fell for Jan 10, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Nelida Kreer wrote:
I thought that as the payment required through PayPal was only 1 usd, there was no harm done and no great loss in trying. The payment was confirmed by PayPal as usual.

Were you asked (as Chiara was) to provide your credit card details?

Thanks for asking, Samuel. As I posted under my follow-up comment (under "Additional comment"), by that time I had started having some strong misgivings, and I simply quit the site without noticing the "continue" button mentioned by Chiara. So fortunately no, I did not provide any financially sensitive info, such as credit card details etc. I am going to contact PayPal however, and let them know that this is allegedly a scam.
My only worry is that I sent them my CV and street address, but I don't think that their scam focuses on impersonation, rather on financial gain.

Nelida Kreer
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mail to PayPal Jan 10, 2013

I have just sent the following mail to PayPal:

"I just made a payment of US.D 1 (one US dollar) to XXX Translations which was confirmed by you as having been made to one Mr. XYZ. This is to report that according to a forum of ProZ translator colleagues, this is most likely a scam, and wish to denounce it as such.

If there is the possibility to stop the payment I will appreciate it, but if it is not, then I would recommend that you flag this payee as an alleged scammer.
... See more
I have just sent the following mail to PayPal:

"I just made a payment of US.D 1 (one US dollar) to XXX Translations which was confirmed by you as having been made to one Mr. XYZ. This is to report that according to a forum of ProZ translator colleagues, this is most likely a scam, and wish to denounce it as such.

If there is the possibility to stop the payment I will appreciate it, but if it is not, then I would recommend that you flag this payee as an alleged scammer. For your reference, please see the above mentioned thread at the ProZ forum:

Possible scam from an Italian translation agency (Scams) http://bit.ly/U7F9aB

Best regards and thank you for your understanding and for any action that you see fit to undertake."

Just so that PayPal is aware of the problem and may do something about it and save other colleagues from putting their foot into it, as I did.

[Edited at 2014-01-07 20:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-07 20:03 GMT]
Collapse

Bogdan Dusa
Bogdan Dusa  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:32
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scammers usually look for credit card details Jan 10, 2013

You shouldn't worry, Nelida. No scammer (in case this is a scam) would pay attention to post address or other similar info. They only try to steal money from bank accounts - that's why they ask for credit card details.

Chiara Sodi
Chiara Sodi
Italy
English to Italian
@Samuel Jan 10, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

kiara kiaora wrote:
I had a look at their website and noticed the following:
1) The only people who can register are PayPal accounts holders.

Well, the PayPal payment page does have a link for people without PayPal accounts, but since they want to pay translators via PayPal anyway, it would make sense to register with them only if you have a PayPal account.

2) The link for the registration must be copied and pasted or it doesn't work. Isn't this strange?

No, that is not true. In the actual e-mail, the link is clickable and it works.

Just to clarify:
I do not have a paypal account, so what that page tells me is that only paypal account holders can apply for registration. If other type of accounts are accepted then why not make that more obvious.

Regarding the link:
I didn't use the link provided in emails nor forums. I went straight to the company website and it didn't work. I had to copy it from their website and then paste it.

Nelida Kreer
English to Spanish
+ ...
Alleged scam Jan 10, 2013

Bogdan Dusa wrote:

You shouldn't worry, Nelida. No scammer (in case this is a scam) would pay attention to post address or other similar info. They only try to steal money from bank accounts - that's why they ask for credit card details.

Thank you, Bogdan, I believe that you are right. One thing that one must never, under any circumstance whatsoever, is to reveal banking or credit card information other than to a bona fides provider, and never ever any passwords either.

All the same, I feel like slapping myself, real hard.... It leaves such a bad aftertaste, knowing that you have been duped!

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:32
English to Spanish
Definitely a scam... Jan 10, 2013

This "company" posted a job for all pairs and specializations in order to draw people to their website; I happened to see the post, dug out a little info, and submitted a support request to alert Proz's staff. The job was banned less than 10 minutes after (since it's against site rules to solicit payment for bidding on a job). However, since no action was taken against the individual profile of the job poster (at the time), he/she went on to contact translators using the email lists.

... See more
This "company" posted a job for all pairs and specializations in order to draw people to their website; I happened to see the post, dug out a little info, and submitted a support request to alert Proz's staff. The job was banned less than 10 minutes after (since it's against site rules to solicit payment for bidding on a job). However, since no action was taken against the individual profile of the job poster (at the time), he/she went on to contact translators using the email lists.

It's a neat scam I must say: mass-spam Proz's 400.000 users, get a meager 1% response and yet walk away with 4 grand

Things to look out for next time:

1) No actual contact information on their website.

2) High-rate offered regardless of language pair and specialization.

3) Website copy that shows up in multiple other websites.

4) Suspicious whois info for the domain.

Hope it helps!
Collapse

Nelida Kreer
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely a scam Jan 10, 2013

Rossana Triaca wrote:

However, since no action was taken against the individual profile of the job poster (at the time), he/she went on to contact translators using the email lists.

Hope it helps!

This is precisely the way I was contacted, by direct mail. (Which shouldn't have happened).

Thanks for your suggestions, they are indeed helpful. In my case, I did see the telltale signs, only for some reason my mind didn't register them and I acted in haste and stupidly. I usually never fall for this type of thing, this just wasn't my day! Lesson learned.

Nelida Kreer
English to Spanish
+ ...
The scammer is on a worldwide hunt, it seems Jan 10, 2013

I have just received a mail notice from a translator's database, [...removed...] (from whom I had not heard in ages, and where I never was a paying member and in fact they ceased to consider me as registered as far back as 2009) with a job posting restricted to English to Spanish, but replicating verbatim the mail I had received earlier today.

So I took it upon myself to contact the website's support team and alerted them about this being a likely scam and indicated as reference a l
... See more
I have just received a mail notice from a translator's database, [...removed...] (from whom I had not heard in ages, and where I never was a paying member and in fact they ceased to consider me as registered as far back as 2009) with a job posting restricted to English to Spanish, but replicating verbatim the mail I had received earlier today.

So I took it upon myself to contact the website's support team and alerted them about this being a likely scam and indicated as reference a link to this forum, suggesting they withdraw the posting and alert their membership. This guy ought to be stopped, and colleagues warned, wherever they may be.
Collapse

Nelida Kreer
English to Spanish
+ ...
Further to scammer's new attempts Jan 10, 2013

The support team at [...removed...] responded immediately that they had been suspicious of the IP but that the website seemed on the level, and confirmed that they had blocked the posting and the address, and thanked me. This feels good.

Marta Terés Sáez
Marta Terés Sáez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree, it's a scam Jan 11, 2013

Last night I received an email from GoTranslators, a database where I inscribed some time ago. In over one year, they have just sent me 2 emails with job proposals, so this must mean that this "agency" sent their offer worldwide.

I am totally sure that it is a scam for several reasons that have been already mentioned, but specially because I made the attempt of going directly to the payment button without introducing any of my data and it worked! I could have paid my $1 without prob
... See more
Last night I received an email from GoTranslators, a database where I inscribed some time ago. In over one year, they have just sent me 2 emails with job proposals, so this must mean that this "agency" sent their offer worldwide.

I am totally sure that it is a scam for several reasons that have been already mentioned, but specially because I made the attempt of going directly to the payment button without introducing any of my data and it worked! I could have paid my $1 without problem. Honestly, since when can an application remain empty??

I will send an email to GoTranslators and hope that they can clip their wings a bit.

Best wishes,
Marta
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
New attempt today Jan 14, 2013

Mr. Tom Orlando, from the same "Italian" agency, invited me to send my application form via the website.

Regards

Clarisa

Nelida Kreer
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam attempt Jan 14, 2013

Marta T. wrote:

I will send an email to GoTranslators and hope that they can clip their wings a bit.

Marta

Don't bother, Marta, I already did and they confirmed having blocked the guy.

Carsten Mohr
Carsten Mohr  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Italian to German
+ ...
yellow/white pages Jan 15, 2013

Hello,

just read this thread and then checked in the yellow and white pages - no such agency there.

Carsten

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam from an Italian translation agency

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »