Autor de la hebra: Linguistico
Gudmund
Gudmund
Local time: 11:36
inglés al sueco
+ ...
Make sure to check your reply address too Feb 9, 2011

Hi,

just want to mention that since sender addresses can very easily be spoofed, you should also make sure the reply-to address is indeed a correct company address when/if you reply to a job offer.

So a mail can appear to have a legitimate Linguistico sender address, while your clicking "Reply" might reveal a completely different reply address. Looking at the full message header, you should then see "Reply-to:".

Best regards,
Gudmund

Linguistico
Linguistico
Local time: 19:06
inglés
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Good advice Feb 9, 2011

That's a great tip Gudmund.

I note that in this case, the scammer has used multiple agency names in the past (Transneed, Lemoine International etc.) and, occasionally, he left one of those agency names in the email or the reply address ([email protected] being one of his favourites).

Amazingly, a few translators continued to be caught by the scam even when emails were coming from multiple fake agency addresses.

If you have any more tips, please ke
... See more
That's a great tip Gudmund.

I note that in this case, the scammer has used multiple agency names in the past (Transneed, Lemoine International etc.) and, occasionally, he left one of those agency names in the email or the reply address ([email protected] being one of his favourites).

Amazingly, a few translators continued to be caught by the scam even when emails were coming from multiple fake agency addresses.

If you have any more tips, please keep them coming.

Many thanks.

David
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since a day
Linguistico
Linguistico
inglés
Thanks for the comments Mar 21, 2011

Thank you for continuing this post - hopefully this will ensure that it is at the forefront of translators' minds when they receive a suspicious email.

It may be that a Vietnamese agency outsourced these jobs via ProZ or TC, the scammer under his business name of Elong Translation or similar (see ban - http://www.proz.com/blueboard/32024) bidded for the job offering a low rate and recei
... See more
Thank you for continuing this post - hopefully this will ensure that it is at the forefront of translators' minds when they receive a suspicious email.

It may be that a Vietnamese agency outsourced these jobs via ProZ or TC, the scammer under his business name of Elong Translation or similar (see ban - http://www.proz.com/blueboard/32024) bidded for the job offering a low rate and received the work which was then sent to you.

The scammer is very adept at picking up work from unwary agencies who outsource to him based on his low rates so some of the work comes from genuinely reputable and blue chip end clients.

The comments of many translators on these boards that you should treat an email from a webmail account with caution when the purported sender comes from an agency with its own domain continues to hold true.

My view is that the owners of ProZ / TC should take steps to shut down this scammer (I believe they have all his details such as addresses, IP addresses etc.) and prevent him from registering and posting jobs on these portals.

If anyone has any thoughts or is able to offer assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,

David
Collapse

Artur Cnotalski
Artur Cnotalski  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:36
polaco al inglés
+ ...
Another victim Mar 22, 2011

It's always good to learn that you were scammed. Obviously, I didn't bother to check the sender e-mail and here's my reward... I learned of this scam only today and frankly am just dissapionted, that my hard work has gone to waste. Hope the scammer gets caught sooner or later.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:36
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
Can't the account be closed? Mar 22, 2011

I understand that the scammer is using a [email protected] email account. If this is the case, it should be easy for any (or many) of the victims (including the legitimate agency) to get in touch with Gmail to ask for the deletion of this account.

Regards,
Enrique

Linguistico
Linguistico
inglés
No response from Google Mar 22, 2011

Enrique

Thank you for the comments.

Unfortunately, Google has not responded to a single one of my requests to shut down Mr Zheng's gmail accounts. When I questioned an IT security expert in London on the issue, his view was that it may be because we, the company, are not a victim here.

In any event, my view is that the scammer will simply open another account in another (or the same) company name using an alternative webmail provider.

This i
... See more
Enrique

Thank you for the comments.

Unfortunately, Google has not responded to a single one of my requests to shut down Mr Zheng's gmail accounts. When I questioned an IT security expert in London on the issue, his view was that it may be because we, the company, are not a victim here.

In any event, my view is that the scammer will simply open another account in another (or the same) company name using an alternative webmail provider.

This is the reason why we have been making every effort to ensure that as many translators as possible are aware of this scam.

Unfortunately, the ProZ mods have prevented a few of our posts from going live - I am not sure they understand the gravity of the situation for the unwary translator.

Best,

David
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 05:36
Miembro 2008
francés al inglés
+ ...
Report abuse to Google Mar 22, 2011

Using a gmail address for fraud or impersonation is against Google's Program Policies and they can cut off the account. It should be reported to: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=abuse

winnieon
winnieon
Local time: 17:36
Just found out about the Linguistico scam Mar 25, 2011

I first sent my CV to "Amanda at Linguistico" in 2008, responding to a job post at Translator Cafe, and was only contacted by Amanda ([email protected]) three months ago. I worked on several jobs, including a huge DHL/TNT project over the new year, a lengthy string of emails for a legal case in the US, and a kindergarten poster case in the UK, just to name a few.

I already filed a complaint on IC3.gov and will collect some emails and/or phone contacts from the client/a
... See more
I first sent my CV to "Amanda at Linguistico" in 2008, responding to a job post at Translator Cafe, and was only contacted by Amanda ([email protected]) three months ago. I worked on several jobs, including a huge DHL/TNT project over the new year, a lengthy string of emails for a legal case in the US, and a kindergarten poster case in the UK, just to name a few.

I already filed a complaint on IC3.gov and will collect some emails and/or phone contacts from the client/associates' documents. I hope to give the contact info I have to the international police to track down the scammer.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 02:36
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Approach the end client Apr 1, 2011

Sorry to hear about this. It looks like you were scammed.

If I knew who the end client was, I wouldn't hesitate one second to get in touch with them. Normally that is taboo, but if it is a clear case of fraud, there is no need for that kind of discretion towards your "agency". To the contrary: a company like DHL should definitely be made aware of the fact that there are black sheep in this industry, that they fell for one of them and that their sensitive information is sent to whoe
... See more
Sorry to hear about this. It looks like you were scammed.

If I knew who the end client was, I wouldn't hesitate one second to get in touch with them. Normally that is taboo, but if it is a clear case of fraud, there is no need for that kind of discretion towards your "agency". To the contrary: a company like DHL should definitely be made aware of the fact that there are black sheep in this industry, that they fell for one of them and that their sensitive information is sent to whoever claims to be a translator and offers to translate for cheap. This cannot be in their interest, so I think you would stand a good chance of getting them on your side. In a way, they too have been scammed, not for money, but because confidential information was not treated with the necessary care.

Do not accuse the end client of anything. Rather, try to get them to understand your predicament as you understand theirs. Something good may come off it for you.

Good luck!

winnieon wrote:
...I worked on several jobs, including a huge DHL/TNT project over the new year, a lengthy string of emails for a legal case in the US, and a kindergarten poster case in the UK, just to name a few..
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
inglés al tamil
+ ...
In Memoriam
Can Linguistico clarify a few points? Apr 3, 2011

I checked your Website. It is true that your domain email id is not readily seen. Instead, you invite us to use the contact page.

Under the present circumstances you should actually prominently display in your Website your warning regarding the current scam with link to this forum post. You have not done any such thing, yet.

People have referred to names such as Amanda and the fact that a translator's old details as entered in your database seem to have been used (joann
... See more
I checked your Website. It is true that your domain email id is not readily seen. Instead, you invite us to use the contact page.

Under the present circumstances you should actually prominently display in your Website your warning regarding the current scam with link to this forum post. You have not done any such thing, yet.

People have referred to names such as Amanda and the fact that a translator's old details as entered in your database seem to have been used (joannachow's post). Your reply seems to just gloss over these facts, other than asking the translators to be more vigilant. How did Amanda get confidential information from your database?

Regards,
N. Raghavan
Collapse

Linguistico
Linguistico
inglés
Clarification Apr 3, 2011

Can Linguistico clarify a few points?

I am not sure I understand your point here. Our email address domain is the same as our web domain. It is not fully quoted in responses in this forum (solely referring to the relevant .com.au and .eu extensions) in order to avoid spammers. I am not aware of any legitimate company with its own domain name
... See more
Can Linguistico clarify a few points?

I am not sure I understand your point here. Our email address domain is the same as our web domain. It is not fully quoted in responses in this forum (solely referring to the relevant .com.au and .eu extensions) in order to avoid spammers. I am not aware of any legitimate company with its own domain name which seeks to use a free webmail account for business matters (other than Google or Yahoo, of course).

We have placed warnings on our website, ProZ Blue Board, Twitter account, LinkedIn account and the forums on both ProZ and Translators' Cafe. I am not sure what additional steps we can take in order to inform the widest sphere of translators. Each translator who has contacted us in relation to this scam has been asked to:

1. Contact Google in relation to this matter in order to shut down the relevant gmail accounts (as noted above, Google is not keen to respond to us as we are not a direct victim).
2. Post on ProZ in order to inform as many people as possible in relation to this matter.
3. Notify their peers.

To my knowledge, very few have taken these steps, particularly given the low number of posts on this forum topic.

People have referred to names such as Amanda and the fact that a translator's old details as entered in your database seem to have been used (joannachow's post). Your reply seems to just gloss over these facts, other than asking the translators to be more vigilant. How did Amanda get confidential information from your database?

For complete clarification, this scam is not being carried out by anyone by the name of Amanda. It is an old and well-used scam being conducted by a gentleman in China by the name of Xiangwei "Dillon" Zheng (see also references on ProZ to Elong Translation, Bo Shi Lo Translation, Tohii Translation, Henry Li etc.). If you search Google, you will find plenty of information in relation to Mr Zheng, other agencies he has "copied" using a webmail account and other victims he has scammed - Mr Zheng and his fraudulent agencies have been banned from ProZ on numerous occasions. He has never accessed our database and simply sets up an email to look like it was sent from a freelancer as a response to a "call for translators" on Translators' Cafe (I can confirm that we neither use and never have used Translators' Cafe nor ProZ to post jobs or make a "call for translators"). Instead, the call was made by Mr Zheng using a fake agency in order to create a false email trail and lure translators into believing that they are working for a legitimate company.

If you are China-based and wish to report Mr Zheng to your local authorities, I would suggest contacting the ProZ staff as they no doubt hold significant information in relation to this criminal.

My advice remains the same and accords with other advice on this and other forums: if you receive an email from a free webmail account which purports to be from a genuine agency with its own domain name address, please ignore it or conduct full due diligence prior to undertaking work.

Best,

David
Collapse

Helen Shepelenko
Helen Shepelenko
PERSONAL DEL SITIO
Locking thread Apr 7, 2011

Hello all,

Thank you, David, for your reply and thanks to those who have posted.

I am locking this thread as the topic seems to have drifted from the original topic.

My bests,
Helen

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammers using false email address - Linguistico

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »