For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Working for the police and courts in the UK

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Working for the police and courts in the UK".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Nara Campagnoli
Nara Campagnoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:50
German to Italian
+ ...
to whom is the webinar addressed? Apr 13, 2011

Hallo! I may be interested in attending this course and the other two I have seen in the webinar list. However, I am not sure whether it would be useful to me as I am living and working in Italy. Is it mainly focused on interpreting jobs or does it give info/advice and suggestions that can be applied in translations? Thank you very much for your attention, Nara

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:50
English to Polish
+ ...
This webinar is for interpreters Jun 7, 2011

This webinar is of interest to interpreters interested in working for the police and courts in the UK, i.e. for the legal field. It focuses specifically on the UK circumstances and on interpreting rather than translation.
Thank you
Ania

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Some comments on title and summary Jun 8, 2011

Hi Ania,

Good luck with your webinar - it looks very interesting.
I just have a couple of comments that might be relevant:

- the NRPSI is undergoing a large shake-up at the moment and indeed, with the Ministry of Justice outsourcing court translation, may well cease to exist in the near future so personally, I would advise people to wait before undertaking the registration process. Then there is the SPSI which to all intents and purposes and whatever the NRPSI says
... See more
Hi Ania,

Good luck with your webinar - it looks very interesting.
I just have a couple of comments that might be relevant:

- the NRPSI is undergoing a large shake-up at the moment and indeed, with the Ministry of Justice outsourcing court translation, may well cease to exist in the near future so personally, I would advise people to wait before undertaking the registration process. Then there is the SPSI which to all intents and purposes and whatever the NRPSI says is replacing it.
- the MET list is for London, I believe. Here in Wales, bookings come through Wales Interpretation and Translation Services (WITS), who not only assign police jobs but a large number of local councils, NHS trusts and other public services have signed up too. This is a rapidly growing organisation administered by Gwent Police.
- I believe the Scottish justice system is different to that of England and Wales and different criteria apply

I realise 60 minutes isn't very long and you have a lot to cover but feel:

- the above needs to be mentioned
- would your title be more accurate as 'in England' rather than 'UK'

I wish you a successful webinar

Suzi
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Different systems Jun 10, 2011

Does anyone have any comments on these differences please and relevance to the course?

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
NRPSI etc Jun 14, 2011

@Susanna,
I have already discussed this at length during my previous webinar, Working as Public Service Interpreter Part 2, you should have attended it!
I know, I know, you could be giving these webinars yourself, just teasing!
This one, on police and courts work actually concentrates more on the day to day realities, types of asssingments, issues, etc.

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Summary Jun 14, 2011

Ania Heasley wrote:

@Susanna,
I have already discussed this at length during my previous webinar, Working as Public Service Interpreter Part 2, you should have attended it!
I know, I know, you could be giving these webinars yourself, just teasing!
This one, on police and courts work actually concentrates more on the day to day realities, types of asssingments, issues, etc.

Sorry, Ania but I based my comments on the overviews provided. Sounds like I missed a very good webinar.
Teasing aside, I've been asked many times to do this type of training too, so you've started me thinking about it again I left teaching 4 years ago and every so often I find myself missing it.
Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Suzi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working for the police and courts in the UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »