Any tools especially connected to subtitling? Any hints on fees?
Thread poster: The Mill
The Mill
The Mill
Argentina
Local time: 22:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 16, 2002

We are interested in the subtitles field, and would be thankful if anyone could give us information about any programs that are related. We would also appreciate any other info about this market in South America (asking for too much?)

Gratefully, Carolina

Ingar A. Milnes
Ingar A. Milnes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:21
English to Norwegian
+ ...
FAB is the pro tool Jul 16, 2002

FAB Subtitling Products for Production of Subtitles

... The following FAB Subtitling products were designed for production of subtitles: ... FAB

Subtitler Professional Edition is used for recording of subtitles to tape. ...

www.fab-online.com

I have been working with FAB for 3 years now and it works great. Not exactly cheap though. You can directly import word files, so the
... See more
FAB Subtitling Products for Production of Subtitles

... The following FAB Subtitling products were designed for production of subtitles: ... FAB

Subtitler Professional Edition is used for recording of subtitles to tape. ...

www.fab-online.com

I have been working with FAB for 3 years now and it works great. Not exactly cheap though. You can directly import word files, so the actual translation work can be done on another computer, if a transscript is provided.

Subtitling companies in Europe offer their services in a price range from 2 to 4 Euros per subtitle, although I found a provider who tries to get 15 (!) Euros per title - I don\'t think they have too much business, though.
Collapse

The Mill
The Mill
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
first world rates, though! Jul 16, 2002

Thank you, Ingar. I\'ve been checking the FAB page, very interesting. I still have to study the possibility of buying it, though quite expensive!

I\'m afraid our South American rates will vary (lower), but it\'s a good piece of info to know European rates.

By the way, is subtitling an underestimated activity as in the rest of the world?

thanks again!

Carolina

Katza
Katza
Local time: 04:21
English to Romanian
+ ...
Win2020 Jul 17, 2002

You can also find a very good piece of equipment at http://www.screen.subtitling.com/win2020.html

I\'m afraid it\'s rather on the expensive side, though.

As to your other question, it\'s underestimated in Romania, too. But it can be rewarding at times...

Best of luck!

Narcisa

Katza
Katza
Local time: 04:21
English to Romanian
+ ...
TM Systems Substation Jul 17, 2002

I did some research on your question and, in addition to my previous message, this is what I found.

You can also try TM Systems Substation - check it out at www.tm-systems.com .

The price is a little bit restrictive (they quoted me the amount of $18,000), but the program is professional.

If you want a piece of equipment that\'s really professional, I\'m afraid
... See more

I did some research on your question and, in addition to my previous message, this is what I found.

You can also try TM Systems Substation - check it out at www.tm-systems.com .

The price is a little bit restrictive (they quoted me the amount of $18,000), but the program is professional.

If you want a piece of equipment that\'s really professional, I\'m afraid you won\'t be able to find anything cheap. Everything is between $12,000 and $18,000.

As for the fees you can charge, first you need to test the market in your own country and then see what your potential customers are prepared to offer. For instance, in Romania the market is really poor and you\'re not paid much as a subtitler. But if you\'re working with companies outside Romania, you can get up to 2.5 British pounds per minute. (The companies I worked with paid by the minute, not by the title).

Hope this helps,

Narcisa
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
English to German
+ ...
subtitle translation rather than subtitling Jul 22, 2002

You should start by offering subtitle translation rather than subtitling to existing subtitling companies. Like that you don\'t need any extra equipment. They can send you a video and the subtitles as Word files and you just overwrite the text. There are already quite a few subtitling companies with a lot of very expensive technical equipment catering for the big Hollywood studios. The studios put a lot of pressure on the subtitling companies which they pass on to translators demanding ever decr... See more
You should start by offering subtitle translation rather than subtitling to existing subtitling companies. Like that you don\'t need any extra equipment. They can send you a video and the subtitles as Word files and you just overwrite the text. There are already quite a few subtitling companies with a lot of very expensive technical equipment catering for the big Hollywood studios. The studios put a lot of pressure on the subtitling companies which they pass on to translators demanding ever decreasing rates. So some don\'t even bother with qualified translators and hire the cheapest. I have done a lot of subtitles and really enjoyed it but now clients are demanding ridiculous rates.Collapse

The Mill
The Mill
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so subtitles translation that is! Jul 22, 2002

Dear all, thank you for so much insight. Hopefully there is the way with word files -we would never be able to buy such equipment!

How about the rates in Europe? How much can you charge for one video, a standard movie?

thanks tons.

Carolina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any tools especially connected to subtitling? Any hints on fees?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »