Exporting subtitles from Subtitle Edit and opening file again: subtitles are off
Thread poster: Michelle İnaner
Michelle İnaner
Michelle İnaner
Austria
Local time: 20:02
English to German
+ ...
Jan 27

Hi, I recently started working on subtitles with Subtitle Edit.
Whenever I finish a movie and save and export it, then reopen it to tweak some stuff, I notice that some subtitles (not all) have shifted by sometimes up to 300ms. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'll adjust everything again, export, open again and they'll be off again.
I thought at first it was because this particular video had a frame rate of 24fps, the next video I worked on was 25fps and I forgot to change the s
... See more
Hi, I recently started working on subtitles with Subtitle Edit.
Whenever I finish a movie and save and export it, then reopen it to tweak some stuff, I notice that some subtitles (not all) have shifted by sometimes up to 300ms. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'll adjust everything again, export, open again and they'll be off again.
I thought at first it was because this particular video had a frame rate of 24fps, the next video I worked on was 25fps and I forgot to change the settings when I worked on the 24fps one again, but even if I change the settings it'll happen.
I exported the file to DFXP Basic.

I couldn't really find an answer online and since I'm new to this, I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Jan 29

Hi Michelle,

I can't reproduce the issue. For what it is worth, I'm running Subtitle Edit version 4.0.3 on Fedora Linux 39 Workstation, using mpv as the playback engine.

[Edited at 2024-01-29 03:31 GMT]

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Did you... Jan 29

...export the .srt file to DFXP and opened the exported file with Subtitle Edit? Why did you do that? Makes no sense for me... I'm not even sure if you can export a Subtitle Edit file to DFXP. Did you use some other program for it?

In any case, I think it is rather a coding issue... As far as I can remember, DFXP files have a different millisecond code than .srt files. Could be that if you save it, you cut off some time... Or the entire settings are changed during conversion. Depend
... See more
...export the .srt file to DFXP and opened the exported file with Subtitle Edit? Why did you do that? Makes no sense for me... I'm not even sure if you can export a Subtitle Edit file to DFXP. Did you use some other program for it?

In any case, I think it is rather a coding issue... As far as I can remember, DFXP files have a different millisecond code than .srt files. Could be that if you save it, you cut off some time... Or the entire settings are changed during conversion. Depends on the software you use to save it... But that does not explain why it only happens with some segments...

You could open the DFXP file in a text editor that can handle XML structures (which DFXP apparently is) and compare the timing... This way you know where something was changed. But I wouldn't know how to turn it back, sorry. Maybe not doable at all.
Collapse

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I forgot... Jan 29

...Of course, you may edit the DFXP file in the text editor, just not sure if the program accepts changes, or how long it takes you to make manual adjustments... But it would at least be an option.

Let us know what you found out.

Arne

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-29 15:59 GMT]

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Jan 29

Arne Krueger wrote:
I'm not even sure if you can export a Subtitle Edit file to DFXP.

You can.

What's a Subtitle Edit file?

Arne Krueger

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:02
English to Russian
DFXP export Jan 30

Arne Krueger wrote:

Click File - Save as - select DFXP Basic in the 'File type' field.

@Michelle İnaner
Can you please describe the steps of your workflow?
How do you "export a movie"? (Whenever I finish a movie and save and export it.)

[Edited at 2024-01-30 01:24 GMT]

brovxidfmgan (X)
Arne Krueger

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Update from Russia... Jan 30

Stepan Konev wrote:

Arne Krueger wrote:

Click File - Save as - select DFXP Basic in the 'File type' field.

@Michelle İnaner
Can you please describe the steps of your workflow?
How do you "export a movie"? (Whenever I finish a movie and save and export it.)

[Edited at 2024-01-30 01:24 GMT]

Right, did not have the latest version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting subtitles from Subtitle Edit and opening file again: subtitles are off

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »