ناشر الموضوع: James Calder
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
كندا
Local time: 19:33
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
+ ...
I hope it will not be target rates on this site Apr 27, 2007

I hope the criteria used to establish a rate above market rates will not be based on the current target (or even worse, minimum) rate averages based on the rates we entered in our profiles. My rates are lightyears ahead of these - and several of my colleagues are charging substantially more than I do all the while they still have regular work.

But here's another question: if ProZ has to establish a market rate to base Project Connect criteria on (and they will have to since t
... See more
I hope the criteria used to establish a rate above market rates will not be based on the current target (or even worse, minimum) rate averages based on the rates we entered in our profiles. My rates are lightyears ahead of these - and several of my colleagues are charging substantially more than I do all the while they still have regular work.

But here's another question: if ProZ has to establish a market rate to base Project Connect criteria on (and they will have to since there is no other measure they could possibly come up with), wouldn't that be price fixing? I mean, even if nobody would be directly and openly forced to use those rates, they would be disclosed and I am sure we all know that many people will consider those rates as standard. In fact, an agency who needs someone competent fast will be forced to pay at least the threshold rate if they want to find that special someone and get the work done, even if they are accustomed to lower rates. In other words, the rate to use will be dictated to them. Isn't that what we call price fixing?

[Edited at 2007-04-27 18:25]
Collapse

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Thanks. Mike. Interesting. Apr 27, 2007

Mike Kidd wrote:

A job is considered premium when the project pays at or above market rates for the given language pair.

So … a job is “premium” if it is at some undefined market rate? Is that right? “Premium” means the market rate? I think the bit of my translator’s mind that deals with semantics just broke a brain cell.

All best wishes to all,
JB

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
البرتغال
Local time: 00:33
هولندي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Bingo :) Apr 27, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

But here's another question: if ProZ has to establish a market rate to base Project Connect criteria on (and they will have to since there is no other measure they could possibly come up with), wouldn't that be price fixing? I mean, even if nobody would be directly and openly forced to use those rates, they would be disclosed and I am sure we all know that many people will consider those rates as standard. In fact, an agency who needs someone competent fast will be forced to pay at least the threshold rate if they want to find that special someone and get the work done, even if they are accustomed to lower rates. In other words, the rate to use will be dictated to them. Isn't that what we call price fixing?

But I'm sure (or would at least hope) the team have covered those bases and an answer to the question will be forthcoming sometime soon.

@ Jackie - yes quite, am suffering from a bit of a headache myself

[Edited at 2007-04-28 21:06]

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
A little worried … May 1, 2007

… about the deafening silence in this thread – the deafening silence from “Site Staff”, in their communication with the “community” about something that matters (sorry, in ProZ-ese, a “key issue”).

In ProZ’s languages, can we include “Utterly Laughable Business-Speak. What Will the Dullards Think of Next”? I think I can translate from that language into English.

Mike Kidd, a member of “site staff” had many things to say. Some highlights of Mike
... See more
… about the deafening silence in this thread – the deafening silence from “Site Staff”, in their communication with the “community” about something that matters (sorry, in ProZ-ese, a “key issue”).

In ProZ’s languages, can we include “Utterly Laughable Business-Speak. What Will the Dullards Think of Next”? I think I can translate from that language into English.

Mike Kidd, a member of “site staff” had many things to say. Some highlights of Mike’s insights:

Thank you very much for your comments on Premium Jobs sourced through ProZ.com Connect!

A job is considered premium when the project pays at or above market rates for the given language pair, and pays the translator a minimum of $100 USD.

We are requiring companies to agree to this understanding and approach as part of the platform's terms and conditions before they can even begin using the service.

Thanks, Mike, for your input. Very valuable. Intellectually tremendous, actually.

Thanks very much. I appreciate your comments as they help us evolve the new service. Please let me know if you have additional questions..

Well, Mike, yes, I have additional questions [you mean ‘other’, I assume]. In light of your invitation above, I can’t imagine a single circumstance in which what I have to say is inadmissible to be made public on the website of which you, Mike Kidd, are “site staff”.

Here is my questions to you:

What do you think, as a staff member of an organization concerned with people who make their living in language: is “evolve” a transitive or a non-transitive verb? You said “your comments … help us evolve the new service”. Looking forward to your insight on that one, Mike.

[Edited at 2007-05-01 22:39]
Collapse

James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Nothing doing May 2, 2007

Think we can give up on this one, Jackie. There's obviously no point in starting a debate as the powers that be ain't listening.
Obviously our input isn't that highly valued after all. Next time I see a "Premium" job offer at market rates I'll just shuffle quietly into line and accept my fate. After all, the outsourcer is always right.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
Local time: 01:33
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Jackie's premium job May 2, 2007

Jackie Bowman wrote:

Now that's what I call a real premium job.
Perhaps the site staff will hire you on that basis.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
Local time: 01:33
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Mike and his team *are* listening May 2, 2007

I beg to disagree.

There's obviously no point in starting a debate as the powers that be ain't listening.

I have found Mike nothing but extremely responsive - to serious and constructive comments, that is. Greeting those working hard to attract serious end clients to ProZ.com with sarcasm is somewhat off the point.

As an outsourcer, I have completely switched over to Connect whenever I'm looking for additional resources. And yes, I'm paying above-market rates.

Best regards,
Ralf

James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
You're right Ralf May 2, 2007

I've adopted a pretty sarcastic, cynical line in this thread, not because I'm particularly dissatisfied with Proz (I'm not at all), but because I was doubtful as to benefits to translators of the new Connect system, based on a job I saw last week that wasn't particularly "Premium".

As we hadn't had any follow-up, I thought our comments were not being taken into account, but I was wrong.

Mike has just very kindly phoned me and we had a constructive chat about what I exp
... See more
I've adopted a pretty sarcastic, cynical line in this thread, not because I'm particularly dissatisfied with Proz (I'm not at all), but because I was doubtful as to benefits to translators of the new Connect system, based on a job I saw last week that wasn't particularly "Premium".

As we hadn't had any follow-up, I thought our comments were not being taken into account, but I was wrong.

Mike has just very kindly phoned me and we had a constructive chat about what I expect from the new system and what he is trying to achieve. I can echo your comments, Ralf. He is obviously working hard to make it a success and I do feel that our opinion is valued.

To my mind, Connect is an excellent idea but I do think use of the term "market rates" needs a little more consideration. As we all know, market rates in Spain are some way below other parts of Europe and I think it can lead to confusion. Why not ask outsourcers to advertise exactly what they intend to pay per word? Then they can select translators based on quality parameters alone, and translators know for sure they're applying for a premium job. Transparency is the key here and that was my initial concern.

Anyway, I genuinely hope the system works. Anything that improves quality and gets a better deal for good translators is to be welcomed.
Thanks again to Mike for taking the time to call me. I do appreciate it.
Collapse

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 18:33
The Evolution Controversy May 8, 2007

Jackie Bowman wrote:
What do you think, as a staff member of an organization concerned with people who make their living in language: is “evolve” a transitive or a non-transitive verb? You said “your comments … help us evolve the new service”. Looking forward to your insight on that one, Mike.

[Edited at 2007-05-01 22:39]

According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, evolve can be either a transitive or an intransitive verb:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/evolve

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language agrees:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/66/E0256600.html

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Premium jobs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »