Thread poster: BelkisDV
BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2006

For the last 3 days the same ad has been placed in this site, same requirements, same test, same location: different names, local addresses and telephone numbers, not to mention contact person.

After taking the same test 3 times and providing references I can only conclude that they are looking for clients, not translators.

Be on the lookout.

Good Lord!

[Edited at 2006-08-11 19:31]

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:25
French to English
+ ...
another possibility... Aug 11, 2006

the three agencies could be bidding for the same contract, and could be trying to assemble a team of translators for the purpose - amusing, though, that they all chose the same way of finding translators...

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To say the least Aug 11, 2006

Angela Dickson wrote:

the three agencies could be bidding for the same contract, and could be trying to assemble a team of translators for the purpose - amusing, though, that they all chose the same way of finding translators...

Highly amusing to say the least. The posting was for an in-house translator with a 1 year contract. I think if they had been looking for a team it would have been wiser to state that in their ad and hire freelance translators for their project.

Best,
Belkis

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:25
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Belkis Aug 11, 2006

First of all, I am moving this thread to ProZ.com jobs system forum.

And second, have you alerted a jobs/BB moderator? If not,
please do it as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Natalia

[Edited at 2006-08-11 21:15]

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and... Aug 12, 2006

Thank you for moving this posting to the correct forum. I wasn't sure where to post it.

I haven't alerted the Moderators yet, as I am receiving feedback from the 3 'agencies' and I'll continue 'playing the game' to see how far they go.

Best,
Belkis

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Noticed it too... Aug 12, 2006

It appears to have to do with some government agency, perhaps the state of Texas, but I don't know how "agencies" have gotten their oar in there, or how much they might want out of it. Supposedly it's for one year.

My opinion is that their best bet would be to advertise on Proz.com themselves, after all they should have Internet access and can fish as well as the rest.

My opinion is that they'd be better off with a freelancer, no need for someone "in-house", it's too re
... See more
It appears to have to do with some government agency, perhaps the state of Texas, but I don't know how "agencies" have gotten their oar in there, or how much they might want out of it. Supposedly it's for one year.

My opinion is that their best bet would be to advertise on Proz.com themselves, after all they should have Internet access and can fish as well as the rest.

My opinion is that they'd be better off with a freelancer, no need for someone "in-house", it's too restrictive for both parties. Plus we freelancers work all hours and on weekends.

Well, I do, anyway, and I also goof off during everyone else's "working hours".
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Aug 12, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

My opinion is that they'd be better off with a freelancer, no need for someone "in-house", it's too restrictive for both parties. Plus we freelancers work all hours and on weekends.

Well, I do, anyway, and I also goof off during everyone else's "working hours".

That's what I think also, why hire or perhaps 'pretend' to hire someone in-house? I've gone that route before and I feel same as you, I'd rather work from home and play when everyone else is sweating it out there!.

Best,
Belkis

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And the list gets longer... Aug 13, 2006

It's different agencies, all looking for an in-house translator. I find it highly amusing because their terms of payment are totally different. I'm tempted to reply to that one also and tell them I want $70,000 a year

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Clueless Aug 13, 2006

And I suppose the end client is clueless...

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Plus, freelancer is always there Aug 13, 2006

A client of mine some time ago proposed that I go work as an employee at their office because someone else had quit. "no need to hire anyone, and you can't hire me", I said, "but just send me the work and I'll continue to do it on the same basis as always".

If I were working in their office then at least half the time I would be:

1.- In the bathroom
2.- Outside somewhere taking a smoke
3.- Gone because it was after hours, a weekend or a holiday
4.- At
... See more
A client of mine some time ago proposed that I go work as an employee at their office because someone else had quit. "no need to hire anyone, and you can't hire me", I said, "but just send me the work and I'll continue to do it on the same basis as always".

1.- In the bathroom
4.- At my desk fast asleep.

But the way it is now:

I can be on the pot smoking on the computer any day any time fast asleep.

And the work gets done, so...

Don't smoke pot, of course.

Is there any better way to work?

[Edited at 2006-08-13 05:20]
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't beat that! Aug 13, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

1.- In the bathroom
4.- At my desk fast asleep.

But the way it is now:

And the work gets done, so...

Don't smoke pot, of course.

Is there any better way to work?

[Edited at 2006-08-13 05:20]

HAHAHAHAHA!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:25
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Administrative question Oct 9, 2006

Hi Henry: do you use the same s*... I mean pot, oh gosh, the same ENVIRONMENT...for invoicing too;P?

smo

[Edited at 2006-10-09 12:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same agency with 3 different names?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »