Why are some jobs displayed for only few hours or minutes?
Thread poster: Andre Ferreira
Andre Ferreira
Andre Ferreira  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 7, 2013

Why does some jobs are displayed for only few hours or minutes? Shouldn't they be available for at least 24hrs? I check this website often, and even so, there are some jobs which the time for quoting are already expired (what happens within minutes or hours). As a paying member it sounds very unpleasant.
Anyone with the same feeling?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2013-06-07 12:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-07 17:33 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Posters are in a hurry? Jun 7, 2013

I reckon those posters are in a hurry and remove the job when they have already found a solution? If they have, what would be the use of keeping the job visible?

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Some guys don't want unsolicited offers from freelancers Jun 7, 2013

As per title.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't get it Jun 8, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:
Some guys don't want unsolicited offers from freelancers

Then why do they post jobs?
My take is that when they post a job on Proz, they are in fact soliciting applications.

If people get unsuitable applications, that's another issue. It's part of the recruitment process. When a company advertises they need a Marketing VP, there is a chance that they'll get applications for a night shift janitor as well; no way to stop that.

In translation, I often see job posters demanding "MUST have Trados" in jobs where no CAT tool will be of any use, yet this seems to be an effective way to cut down the number of applications they'll have to discard at first sight.

Andre Ferreira
Andre Ferreira  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
smelling something shady in the air Jul 3, 2013

Another one, posted for about 2, 3 hours then removed.
I just think is somehow suspicious

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Nothing suspicious Jul 3, 2013

Andre (Brazil) wrote:

But this is the new way of working. Some outsourcers require us to react within half an hour, if not someone else will be doing the work. This is unrelated to the job board (the thing I never use for other reasons) but becoming a general policy. That means: the translator is supposed to have a smartphone, to be always available and to react immediately. Translators are now competing on: reaction time.

[Modifié le 2013-07-03 11:10 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:17
German to English
Not suspicious Jul 3, 2013

Andre (Brazil) wrote:

I once posted a job for an office assistant on another site. Within 2 hours I received inquiries from a dozen suitable candidates, so I closed the job. There was no reason to continue to get resumes while at the same time offering people false hope. Keeping job offers open longer than necessary is a waste of time and effort for both the person offering the job and any potential candidates.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
They only need ONE translator Jul 3, 2013

nrichy wrote:
But this is the new way of working. Some outsourcers require us to react within half an hour, if not someone else will be doing the work. This is unrelated to the job board (the thing I never use for other reasons) but becoming a general policy. That means: the translator is supposed to have a smartphone, to be always available and to react immediately. Translators are now competing on: reaction time.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

The outsourcer posts a job that can be done by one translator alone. As soon as one suitable applicant contacts them, they unplug it.

I think this is much better than other outsourcers who forget jobs open, sometimes several days after these have been assigned, done, and delivered.

It always amazes me how many translators envision their profession as a competition on who grabs more jobs. It's almost like a cartoon where someone gets hit by a car, and is taken to hospital. A few dozen ambulance-chasing lawyers start running after the vehicle. The fastest one will be the first to hop on the ambulance and get the ailing patient to sign them up.

What about specialty subjects, specific software, availability, turnaround time, mutually acceptable rates?

If it's 4 AM here in Brazil, I am sound asleep, and the client in the Far East finds someone suitable in Europe who has already started their working day, why should I bother to apply when I start mine? I think it's better they call off the job offer as soon as it has been assigned to anyone. Absolutely no point in staying up all night, every night, just in case someone on the other side of the planet may need me; it simply doesn't make sense.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are some jobs displayed for only few hours or minutes?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »