Blue Board Blackmail
Thread poster: sarahbenson
sarahbenson
sarahbenson  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2012

Ok my client who hasn't paid me after 6 months I put a negative post on the Blue Board and now they say:

Sarah, hasta que no quites el blue board y tenga tu palabra que no vas a poner nada negativo después, el pago queda paralizado

What can I do? I resent having to take it off but they owe me 400 Euro. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:22
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I would suggest responding Jul 25, 2012

"I will remove/edit my entry immediately upon the receipt of the payment".

Natalia

P.S. Moving the thread

[Edited at 2012-07-25 16:19 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Location Jul 25, 2012

sarahbenson wrote:

Sarah, hasta que no quites el blue board y tenga tu palabra que no vas a poner nada negativo después, el pago queda paralizado

What can I do? I resent having to take it off but they owe me 400 Euro. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi Sarah,

This is blackmailing.

Depending on where your client is located, you can take legal actions against him/her.

Please add where you are located and your client. Here are a few links.

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber/cyber/

Best of luck!

Regards,
Thayenga

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blackmailing is forbidden Jul 25, 2012

I think you should tell staff about it, maybe write a support ticket, and see how they handle this situation at the time they manage your payment.

If you delete your post in the BB, the BB itself would not have any meaning. If this practice succeds, then only 5\'s agencies would be in the Blue Board. That wouldn\'t be fair to good payers as well to collegues who rely on the client\'s BB reputation.

If this client finally pays, you may edit your post adding this piece of
... See more
I think you should tell staff about it, maybe write a support ticket, and see how they handle this situation at the time they manage your payment.

If you delete your post in the BB, the BB itself would not have any meaning. If this practice succeds, then only 5\'s agencies would be in the Blue Board. That wouldn\'t be fair to good payers as well to collegues who rely on the client\'s BB reputation.

If this client finally pays, you may edit your post adding this piece of information. But you must not delete your previous comments or change your rating. History cannot be changed.
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree Jul 25, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Natalia

I strongly disagree. That would be accepting blackmailing as a legit practice.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Saying vs. doing Jul 25, 2012

Walter Landesman wrote:

Natalie wrote:

Natalia

Not necessarily; saying it to the agency is one thing, but Sarah doesn't actually have to do it in practice after she is (hopefully) paid! And I get the feeling the tactic might even work, since the agency is apparently bothered by the existing BB entry. The agency made an empty promise, so I don't see that Sarah has anything to lose by trying the same tactic herself! Or she could leave the 1 there but add that the agency did eventually pay, if that happens in the end.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I would be baffled Jul 25, 2012

sarahbenson wrote:
My client who hasn't paid me after 6 months I put a negative post on the Blue Board and now they say: "Sarah, hasta que no quites el blue board y tenga tu palabra que no vas a poner nada negativo después, el pago queda paralizado."

If a client suddenly writes stuff in Spanish to me after I posted a BB entry, I would be baffled.

Darko Pauković
Darko Pauković  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
similar thing Jul 25, 2012

Similar thing happened to me few weeks ago when I finally decided to give a bad remark on the Blue Board for one agency. The PM (who didn't reply to my E-mail/reminder for few weeks before that) suddenly decided to convince me with 5-6 E-mails in 1 hour that I should remove my comment because he will deal immediately with my problem and it causes him some sort of problems (which was not my problem), i.e. make the payment which is now 4 months overdue.
I told him that I will not remove my c
... See more
Similar thing happened to me few weeks ago when I finally decided to give a bad remark on the Blue Board for one agency. The PM (who didn't reply to my E-mail/reminder for few weeks before that) suddenly decided to convince me with 5-6 E-mails in 1 hour that I should remove my comment because he will deal immediately with my problem and it causes him some sort of problems (which was not my problem), i.e. make the payment which is now 4 months overdue.
I told him that I will not remove my comment, but I could modify it to average, if the payment was indeed unintentionally forgotten. At that point I have already decided that I will not remove my comment completely because it was very unprofessional from their side.

Well, you can guess that I didn't receive my payment and the comment is still there.
There is not much I can do, and luckily it's not a big amount of money, so I think other translator should be warned and such comments left for other translators.
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Please submit a support request with relevant details Jul 26, 2012

Hello all,

Please note that, as Blue Board rule #8 states, exerting pressure on someone to change a Blue Board entry or reply is forbidden at ProZ.com, http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/8#8

So, I invite you to submit a support request specifying the outsourcer's name and Blue Board record URL so that site staff can take appropriate ac
... See more
Hello all,

Please note that, as Blue Board rule #8 states, exerting pressure on someone to change a Blue Board entry or reply is forbidden at ProZ.com, http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/8#8

So, I invite you to submit a support request specifying the outsourcer's name and Blue Board record URL so that site staff can take appropriate action, http://www.proz.com/support . Thanks!

Lucia
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Baffling suggestion Jul 26, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Natalia

the more as it comes from a mod.

Such a behaviour would cleary nullify the whole purpose of the BB, like others have pointed out.

But like Peter says, it would be a good tactic to say so in order to get the money and NOT to do it after they eventually paid. I think you will not want to continue to work for them anyway, so you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Good luck!

[Bearbeitet am 2012-07-26 16:05 GMT]

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:22
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
One more to disagree Jul 26, 2012

Walter Landesman wrote:

Natalie wrote:

As many others here I disagree with Natalie's suggestion. The negative feedback should not be removed.

Nikita Kobrin

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This has happened to me Jul 26, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Natalia

This once happened to me. I said "OK I'll change my entry as soon as I receive payment into my account". I then changed my BB comment to report exactly what had happened. Unfortunately after that, the outsourcer managed to persuade Proz to get my comment removed.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
That's what they're waiting for Jul 26, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Natalia

Hi Natalie,

please do not delete your entry. If you do, then they will treat other translators - possibly even you again - the same way, e. g. paying when they feel like it.

BB entries are as important to us, the translators, as the WWAs on our profiles are to our customers.

Deleting your entry would furthermore defeat the purpose of the BlueBoard - aside from the fact that, by doing so, you are, perhaps unintentionally, supporting their "business strategies" and thus "cover up" a crime.

That's my two cents.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board Blackmail

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »