Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Barring unforeseen circumstances, will you still be a translator in 5 years' time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In a perfect world... Mar 21, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

But I suppose I will soldier on doing the same old thing. I've got in so deep in now, I wouldn't know how to get myself out.

And, it beats washing dishes, I suppose!

one can always dream of... doing both!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 20:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, probably Mar 21, 2013

I hope to be able to keep working as a translator for the foreseeable future. Financially, retirement is not an option for me.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
In an imperfect world... Mar 21, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

But I suppose I will soldier on doing the same old thing. I've got in so deep in now, I wouldn't know how to get myself out.

And, it beats washing dishes, I suppose!

one can always dream of... doing both!

I do the dishes, but this is slave labor. I really must have a chat with the missus about this.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Part time Mar 21, 2013

I'll probably be doing less, as retirement beckons (57 at the moment). My husband's been retired for many years and it is a bit awkward to be tied to a computer in such a lovely place, but I can't imagine stopping altogether. I may restrict myself to pro bono only though, with their longer delivery times: there's a limit to how unavailable you can be and still be a "pro". Also, here in Spain we have to pay a minimum of 250€ a month for the pleasure of being a legally registered freelancer. The... See more
I'll probably be doing less, as retirement beckons (57 at the moment). My husband's been retired for many years and it is a bit awkward to be tied to a computer in such a lovely place, but I can't imagine stopping altogether. I may restrict myself to pro bono only though, with their longer delivery times: there's a limit to how unavailable you can be and still be a "pro". Also, here in Spain we have to pay a minimum of 250€ a month for the pleasure of being a legally registered freelancer. The less I earn, the less sense that will make.Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well... I'm only 25... Mar 21, 2013

So I hope to be at this a little longer than just 5 more years. Five years from now I would like to have fully developed into a translation agency. The dream would be to hire fully competent individuals, and have enough clientele, that I can just sit back and let everyone else work while I travel with the wife.

My dream growing up was to be a pilot, but things change and I had to choose a new path. After thinking about it, I couldn't decide on anything else to dedicate myself to, as
... See more
So I hope to be at this a little longer than just 5 more years. Five years from now I would like to have fully developed into a translation agency. The dream would be to hire fully competent individuals, and have enough clientele, that I can just sit back and let everyone else work while I travel with the wife.

My dream growing up was to be a pilot, but things change and I had to choose a new path. After thinking about it, I couldn't decide on anything else to dedicate myself to, as far as a career. So I decided that I didn't want to work anymore and have been looking for a way to do exactly that ever since ^_^
Collapse

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably not. Mar 21, 2013

I hope to combine translation with jewellery design/making/art, leaving translation behind if it takes off. Sad to say, but I've become rather disillusioned with translation, and am looking forward to trying to forge another career in the future.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Looking for a rich widow... Mar 21, 2013

... but failing that, I will keep translating, because the uncertainty, the low wages, lack of benefits and social isolation become strangely addictive after a while. And I am overqualified for McDonald's...

Steve K.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
I tried to leave Mar 21, 2013

but I can only really translate. And as it was repeatedly pointed out to me, I don't really have any transferable skills. What's more, when you try to do anything other than translate you have to compete with the world and his dog just to get an interview. It's so much easier just to turn your computer on and tell your agencies that you are available for work, and within the hour, you're back working again.

Good luck to you Paul.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Barring unforeseen circumstances, will you still be a translator in 5 years' time?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »