Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you believe that translation work productivity decreases with age?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inspiring Aug 13, 2009

Amy Duncan wrote:

I'm way past retirement age and doing just fine and dandy. All this stuff about deterioration is more mental than physical, and I've found that people who are happy, mentally active, interested in life, etc. tend to live longer and have fewer "old age" problems. I was reminded of this yesterday when I was translating a small text about the architect Oscar Niemeyer, who at age 101 (!) still works in his office every day and is full of passion for life and nature.

Hi Amy,

I think what you say is really inspiring. In fact, I always like to read about people like Niemeyer or other similar cases of extremely creative people who don't take age as a handicap to continue having fun doing what they like doing (the quickest example that comes to my mind is Clint Eastwood).

Like others have commented, there may not necessarily be a similar timeline of work for everyone, so it all depends on many factors. I know of at least 3 colleagues who are on their early/mid 60s working as translators and they seem to be doing great, besides the usual translation world "blues" (rates, rates, rates, etc.).

Cheers,

Ivette

[Edited at 2009-08-13 12:51 GMT]

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Various factors to be considered Aug 13, 2009

In my case, I would say that productivity increases with age. Just to mention one factor, currently I don't rely on dictionaries and other sources of information as much as I used to do 10 or so years ago as I have gained experience and gotten specialized in my working fileds.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:17
Member (2008)
French to English
No, to a point Aug 13, 2009

As has been pointed out, productivity increases with experience. Sadly, age also increases with experience, so to a point, productivity increases with age. Eventually, however, physical and mental deterioration will have a negative effect. The exact point will be a function of individual genetics and lifestyle choices, and hopefully a long way in the future for all of us. We are lucky in that our job gives us a good deal of mental exercise. Thinking in two or more languages and learning new... See more
As has been pointed out, productivity increases with experience. Sadly, age also increases with experience, so to a point, productivity increases with age. Eventually, however, physical and mental deterioration will have a negative effect. The exact point will be a function of individual genetics and lifestyle choices, and hopefully a long way in the future for all of us. We are lucky in that our job gives us a good deal of mental exercise. Thinking in two or more languages and learning new subjects on a regular basis probably goes a long way toward keeping the brain agile. On the other hand, I know from the last discussion that some of us are finding it hard to get the physical exercise we need. The time spent in purposive exercise is an investment in our professional futures - so don't feel guilty taking time out for a workout on a busy day. Yeah, I used to work as a personal trainer, so I got paid for nagging people. Guess it became a habit.Collapse

Kornelia Longoria
Kornelia Longoria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Just the opposite Aug 13, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

At least in my own particular case, productivity increases as I gain experience.

I agree with Astrid. As I gain more experience my productivity is better.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Age = Experience = Productivity Aug 13, 2009

I think age and experience are the greatest advantages we can have in our profession because of the enclycopedic knowledge base we must accumulate along with all the tricks of the trade. As long as we are still OK (avoiding Alzheimer's, etc.), we can and should continue to be more productive. I have seen my productivity increase tremendously through the years and that process continues.

Productivity is not only volume, it is inseparable from quality, for what good is it to produce a
... See more
I think age and experience are the greatest advantages we can have in our profession because of the enclycopedic knowledge base we must accumulate along with all the tricks of the trade. As long as we are still OK (avoiding Alzheimer's, etc.), we can and should continue to be more productive. I have seen my productivity increase tremendously through the years and that process continues.

Productivity is not only volume, it is inseparable from quality, for what good is it to produce a large volume of garbage?

Young people might be more adaptable to technological advances such as CAT tools, etc., but those of us who are older often have the advantage of not needing them.

So, young people take heart, work on it and you'll get better and better.
Collapse

MJ Barber
MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
years and years and years Aug 13, 2009

I find that I am more productive now, in that I can do more in a shorter time. This is a combination of experience, meaning I have an accumulation of terms in my head and no longer have to spend looking stuff up; technological improvements, meaning that although I have 21 dictionaries on a shelf up over my computer, I very rarely have to take one down now, between what I remember and what is available in online and other resources (trados, concordance, etc.); PLUS A CRUSHING MORTGAGE, which I a... See more
I find that I am more productive now, in that I can do more in a shorter time. This is a combination of experience, meaning I have an accumulation of terms in my head and no longer have to spend looking stuff up; technological improvements, meaning that although I have 21 dictionaries on a shelf up over my computer, I very rarely have to take one down now, between what I remember and what is available in online and other resources (trados, concordance, etc.); PLUS A CRUSHING MORTGAGE, which I acquired, as a toxic borrower, at the height of the artificial property boom, which means I can't skive off quite as often as I used to.

I also find, as I get older, that I spend a lot of my spare time (reading, wandering about, etc.) thinking about translating. Probably a lot less of my internal monologue (or dialogue or all out multi-party conversation, when I am feeling a bit schizo) is taken up with dating/social life/etc. (son is grown up and working; ex is gone and out of my life) and given over to translation instead. Often, when people ask me what I am thinking about, it actually is how a sign, or sentence, or song, or something I saw could have been translated or how the translation could be improved.

I also spend more time reading, which builds vocabulary and sentence construction skills, and I spend a lot more time thinking about what I have read, both content and form, which makes me more expressive and fluent.

In sort, I am becoming a one-note obsessive.
Could be worse - my dad is like this except about trains
Collapse

solejnicz
solejnicz
Netherlands
French to Dutch
+ ...
physical disease Aug 13, 2009

If you suffer from particular conditions such as the Parkinson disease, you become of course less productive as a translator when aging. On the other hand, there are many other factors such as the gaining of experience, so I think there is no univocal answer to this question.

No Aug 13, 2009

Physical problem may come with age, which affect productivity.
But it is always supplemented and augmented by experience and knowldge built up through years (or even decades) being in this trade.

Note: I defined productivity as daily output (with quality, of course ).

[Edited at 2009-08-13 17:11 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 13, 2009

As one of the few 'older' people responding to this poll, I answered 'yes'. On the one hand you gain experience and confidence as you get older but on the other hand you may not have the stamina and resistance to stress of younger translators. Having several jobs on the go at the same time, rush jobs, staying up past midnight, etc. are things I don't want to do anymore. So in the sense that I am more selective in the kind of jobs I accept, I would say that my overall productivity is decreasing.

Mónica Sauza
Mónica Sauza  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Couldn't have said it better!!!! Aug 13, 2009

Henry Hinds wrote:

Productivity is not only volume, it is inseparable from quality, for what good is it to produce a large volume of garbage?

Young people might be more adaptable to technological advances such as CAT tools, etc., but those of us who are older often have the advantage of not needing them.

So, young people take heart, work on it and you'll get better and better.

...age and experience have made us productive in many different ways....

[Edited at 2009-08-13 18:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-13 23:21 GMT]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks, Ivette Aug 13, 2009

Hi Amy,

I think what you say is really inspiring. In fact, I always like to read about people like Niemeyer or other similar cases of extremely creative people who don't take age as a handicap to continue having fun doing what they like doing (the quickest example that comes to my mind is Clint Eastwood).

Like others have commented, there may not necessarily be a similar timeline of work for everyone, so it all depends on many factors. I know of at least 3 colleagues who are on their early/mid 60s working as translators and they seem to be doing great, besides the usual translation world "blues" (rates, rates, rates, etc.).

Cheers,

Ivette

[Edited at 2009-08-13 12:51 GMT]

Yes, and I was also thinking afterwards that if you expect to become old, decrepit, arthritic, etc., etc. that it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Really, we have nothing to lose by seeing ourselves as eternally well and happy!

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Experience rather than age? Aug 13, 2009

I'm inclined to think that the years of experience you have as a translator are more likely to be a crucial factor than your age as such. But I can't really say, being still comparatively young myself.

Amy, I really like what you wrote - thank you! People who are over retirement age and still active and enjoying life are an inspiration to me and an example that I hope to follow! One of my favourite examples is Moses (of biblical fame) who "was a hundred and twenty years old when
... See more
I'm inclined to think that the years of experience you have as a translator are more likely to be a crucial factor than your age as such. But I can't really say, being still comparatively young myself.

Amy, I really like what you wrote - thank you! People who are over retirement age and still active and enjoying life are an inspiration to me and an example that I hope to follow! One of my favourite examples is Moses (of biblical fame) who "was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone."

Amy Duncan wrote:

I'm way past retirement age and doing just fine and dandy. All this stuff about deterioration is more mental than physical, and I've found that people who are happy, mentally active, interested in life, etc. tend to live longer and have fewer "old age" problems. I was reminded of this yesterday when I was translating a small text about the architect Oscar Niemeyer, who at age 101 (!) still works in his office every day and is full of passion for life and nature.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:17
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree Aug 13, 2009

Amy Duncan wrote:

I'm way past retirement age and doing just fine and dandy.

You don't look it m'dear

Maybe I should update my profile photo. In fact, I think I will!

What a pleasure (for a change) to agree with everybody!

Age = experience = go, go, go... Apart from ill-health, I see no reason how anything can decrease productivity, with the possible exception of the time spent getting into Web 2.0. Well, we have to keep abreast of all this stuff (and more).

In the words of the poet Burns: "Lang may yer loom reek"!

Cheers,
Chris

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 13, 2009

Catherine Knight wrote:

Amy, I really like what you wrote - thank you! People who are over retirement age and still active and enjoying life are an inspiration to me and an example that I hope to follow! One of my favourite examples is Moses (of biblical fame) who "was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone."

Yes, those Biblical characters are great examples! Abraham and Sarah were no slouches, either!

Textklick wrote:

Amy Duncan wrote:

I'm way past retirement age and doing just fine and dandy.

You don't look it m'dear

Cheers,
Chris

And actually, that pic is only a couple of years old. I don't dye my hair, either!

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Decrease Aug 14, 2009

When I say productivty decreases after a certain age/number of years in the trade, I mean that instead of doing 150,000 words a month, I do about 120,000 in the same time frame, with the usual quality. Not that I do not enjoy what I am doing nor that I cannot wait to retire ;o)

[Modifié le 2009-08-14 04:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you believe that translation work productivity decreases with age?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »