Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use voice recognition software for your translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:34
Spanish
+ ...
DNS10 May 5, 2009

DNS is absolutely worth the investment. It didn't just improve my productivity but it completely got rid of the pain in my arms, hands, back and neck from typing. However I don't use it always because I mostly work in localization projects where sentences are too short for DNS to work at its best.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
My question too... May 5, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I keep meaning to try out the VR that comes with Vista, but I haven't got round to it yet. Has anyone else tried it? Is it worth bothering with or should I just go straight to buying Dragon?

What's the VR program that comes with Vista called? Which folder is it in?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
Lawyer-interpreter. May 5, 2009

On-sight translation is a step towards simultaneous interpreting. Laywer-interpreter instead of lawyer-linguist.

Alexandra Krah
Alexandra Krah  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you for the topic! May 5, 2009

I'm glad this topic came along. I knew about VR but I never trusted it. Now, after reading your comments, I'm thinking about trying it.

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Tried it May 5, 2009

I tried using voice recognition software, but quite frankly, I can type faster than the programme reacted. Besides, I enjoy typing. Still, I can't rule out the possibility of using it again at some stage.

Isabelle Berquin
Isabelle Berquin  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:34
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
This discussion prompted me to try Windows Speech Recognition May 5, 2009

I have Vista and just went through the Speech Recognition tutorial. I think it has a lot of potential and will see if I can incorporate it into my workflow. Thanks for the topic!

For John: Speech Recognition is in the Control panel in Vista (it may be under Ease of Access). You can easily find demos and tutorials on the web.

Catriona Thomas
Catriona Thomas
German to English
Purchasing and Using Voice Recognition Software May 8, 2009

Yes, I do use voice recognition software for translating. I purchased Dragon 10 Preferred last autumn and left it sitting there for months (I am a fast typist). However, a nasty and persistent case of RSI in February/March left me with bandages on both wrists and compelled me to get acquainted with the voice recognition software. I was used to dictating translations because I used to have secretarial support as an employed translator (=bliss). I do use the VR for larger projects and it definitel... See more
Yes, I do use voice recognition software for translating. I purchased Dragon 10 Preferred last autumn and left it sitting there for months (I am a fast typist). However, a nasty and persistent case of RSI in February/March left me with bandages on both wrists and compelled me to get acquainted with the voice recognition software. I was used to dictating translations because I used to have secretarial support as an employed translator (=bliss). I do use the VR for larger projects and it definitely prevents significant wear and tear on my writsts and lower arms. However, I also find it very tiring because I translate and read the results on the screen simultaneously in order to prevent any howlers. This requires enormous concentration. I then edit the translation as usual, by hand and keyboard input. I don't use the software for commands or the like, just for the text as such. The quality of the software recognition has improved considerably since I first tested the software in the late 1990s. I definitely like the bluetooth mike as opposed to a cable solution. It was definitely a meaningful addition to my technical equipment, but I should use it more often.......Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use voice recognition software for your translations?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »