Interpreting for a solicitor - How much to charge?
Thread poster: Joanna8 (X)
Joanna8 (X)
Joanna8 (X)
Local time: 08:38
English to Polish
Feb 27, 2005

Dear all,
I did an interpreting job which consisted of 2 hours prison visit where I interpreted (consecutively) between the prisoner and his solicitor (trial preparation). How much should I charge for such an assignment? Should I add my travel time (2 hrs each way)and if yes, at what rate?
Thanks for your help.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-28 00:08]

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
As far as I know... Feb 28, 2005

Hi Joanna,
For that kind of interpreting there are rates from £12 to £35 per hour so if you were contacted directly by the solicitor I would charge the upper part of the scale (£25/£30ph) and what is quite common is to charge half the rate for travelling time.
If you are going to chare £25 per interpreting hour then you need to charge £12.50 per hour for travelling time.
There is another way of charging for this. Some times it is considered as half day or full day and the
... See more
Hi Joanna,
For that kind of interpreting there are rates from £12 to £35 per hour so if you were contacted directly by the solicitor I would charge the upper part of the scale (£25/£30ph) and what is quite common is to charge half the rate for travelling time.
If you are going to chare £25 per interpreting hour then you need to charge £12.50 per hour for travelling time.
There is another way of charging for this. Some times it is considered as half day or full day and then you would need to apply your rate for that.
I hope that helps.
Kind regards,
Collapse

Joanna8 (X)
Joanna8 (X)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Feb 28, 2005

Thank you Jesus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting for a solicitor - How much to charge?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »