Dmitry Sinitsyn
Dmitry Sinitsyn
Local time: 15:16
Member (2023)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 20, 2004

Greetings!
Could you please recommend a technique for vocal cord strengthening? I have to talk a lot and my throat aches by the end of the day.
TIA.
MH.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 11:16
English to German
+ ...
Honey and NLP might help Sep 20, 2004

MarchHare wrote:

Greetings!
Could you please recommend a technique for vocal cord strengthening? I have to talk a lot and my throat aches by the end of the day.
TIA.
MH.
Hi consumption of Honey and NLP might help
Rgds
brandis

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:16
Flemish to English
+ ...
Glottis strokes Sep 20, 2004

MarchHare wrote:

Greetings!
TIA.
MH.

If I remember the lessons of my speech-coach then the sore throat is the result of using your throat and not your mouth when speaking.
Recepy for a soar throat:
Before you speak: take a deep breath.
Then try to pronounce the sounds of language in your throat, so that you produce a lot of glottis strokes. Except for Arabic there is no need for glottis strokes. I only have a basic knowledge of Russian, but as far as I know this applies for Russian too.

Remedy for a soar throat:
When you speak your belly should push against your stomach, so you exhale. After the sounds are produced, you should leave your mouth half open as to inhale.
When awake (and when asleep) try to breathe through your nose and keep your mouth shut when breathing. This not forms a filter against bacteria and it also strengthens the muscles of your cheeks. It are these muscles, you will need to produce sounds.
Try to produce sounds with your mouth and your tongue (isn't the "r" in Russian pronounced very clearly), not with your throat.

[Edited at 2004-09-20 19:13]

AnaAngelica Amador
AnaAngelica Amador
English to Spanish
+ ...
I had your problem. Sep 21, 2004

I was not used to spending the day talking talking talking. When I began interpreting, my throat was sore all the time. An experienced colleague told me that interpreters, like actors and singers, need to make their voices strong. We need to learn to breathe and enunciate (moving our mouth more to pronounce words)correctly, and we need to use our voices more everyday so that it remains strong during periods of inactivity. (You know, the week-long interpreting assignment followed by the week of ... See more
I was not used to spending the day talking talking talking. When I began interpreting, my throat was sore all the time. An experienced colleague told me that interpreters, like actors and singers, need to make their voices strong. We need to learn to breathe and enunciate (moving our mouth more to pronounce words)correctly, and we need to use our voices more everyday so that it remains strong during periods of inactivity. (You know, the week-long interpreting assignment followed by the week of barely any interpreting at all.) She told me to sing and practice speaking using a loud voice every day. I usually sing in the car when I drive by myself. Not hum, sing. The a/c is on, the windows are up and no one cares if I sing off key. Sometimes, I mimic the people on the radio. Not only has my throat felt no pain, my voice has gotten stronger and clearer.Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:16
Italian to English
+ ...
join a choir Sep 21, 2004

Why not join a choir?

Be careful if you do sing in the car because you could do some serious damage to your vocal cords: you tend to sing a lot louder than you think you're singing and force the sound because of the noise of the car and other traffic. So sing, but don't overdo it! And don't let your throat get tight when you're singing, as that won't do you any good.

[Edited at 2004-09-21 18:04]

Dmitry Sinitsyn
Dmitry Sinitsyn
Member (2023)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 14, 2005

Amy Williams wrote:

Why not join a choir?
Be careful if you do sing in the car because you could do some serious damage to your vocal cords: you tend to sing a lot louder than you think you're singing and force the sound because of the noise of the car and other traffic. So sing, but don't overdo it! And don't let your throat get tight when you're singing, as that won't do you any good.

[Edited at 2004-09-21 18:04]

Thanks
Sounds like a fun idea. 'm afraid I won't be able to do that, though. Thanks for the car-singing warning as well.

Dmitry Sinitsyn
Dmitry Sinitsyn
Member (2023)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, Jan 14, 2005

Brandis wrote:

MarchHare wrote:

Greetings!
TIA.
MH.
Hi consumption of Honey and NLP might help
Rgds
brandis

I just HATE honey. Never been the honey-man, you know, not even as a kid. What is it in the honey that seems to be good for vocal chords? Can I find it somewhere else?
TIA.

ofekslayer
ofekslayer
English
Suggestion Apr 25, 2005

I don't know if what I'm suggesting will help you right now, but maybe in the long run it's worth the shot.
Be aware of the way you breathe. Always breathe from your nose, and never from your mouth. If you have lectures or presentations of some sort, when you're standing be sure not to stand straight, but lean a little bit forward. This will help your voice to carry out better. Hope this helps..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any ideas on voice strengthening?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »