Client citing quality issues to withhold payment
Thread poster: Katell Deletre
Katell Deletre
Katell Deletre
Local time: 18:42
German to French
+ ...
Jul 30, 2021

I am having a problem with a client complaining about the quality of my translations and refusing to pay me for my work.

At the beginning of the year, i was contacted by an agency based in the Netherlands, after i passed their translation test, they offered me a huge volume of words to translate, split between different translators, the rates were low but i appreciated their efficient and user-friendly interface with integrated software.

They contacted me again in mid-J
... See more
I am having a problem with a client complaining about the quality of my translations and refusing to pay me for my work.

At the beginning of the year, i was contacted by an agency based in the Netherlands, after i passed their translation test, they offered me a huge volume of words to translate, split between different translators, the rates were low but i appreciated their efficient and user-friendly interface with integrated software.

They contacted me again in mid-July with several batches to translate for an important sum of money. I took on 36 batches and at the deadline on 28.07, their website was down for 48 hours, then they contacted me citing quality issues based on 7 screenshots showing minor changes made to my translations by their proofreader. They said they had to reallocate the batches to another translator (actually their proofreader) and therefore withheld the payment and could no longer pay me.

I find these practices very questionable and dishonest. Judging arbitrarily and suppressing more than 30 tasks son the dashboard showing the task overview while their website was « down » without letting me a possibility to comment is not an acceptable practice.

After a search over Internet, i noticed that at least one translator in 2020 had been victim of the same trick, complaints about so-called quality issues to avoid paying the freelance translator.

I would like to know if some other freelance translators had the same unfortunate experience as me and how to react.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Katell Jul 30, 2021

I sympathize with your problem and wish you the best of luck. If I were in your shoes I would ask an independent proofreader to have a look at your translations and armed with that information I would contact a lawyer as soon as possible. If I may say so in the future please never accept a job without first researching fully and comprehensively the potential client. Besides the Proz Blue Board and the TC Hall of Fame & Shame there are a lot of other sites to check: Unacceptable Translation Rate... See more
I sympathize with your problem and wish you the best of luck. If I were in your shoes I would ask an independent proofreader to have a look at your translations and armed with that information I would contact a lawyer as soon as possible. If I may say so in the future please never accept a job without first researching fully and comprehensively the potential client. Besides the Proz Blue Board and the TC Hall of Fame & Shame there are a lot of other sites to check: Unacceptable Translation Rates Naming and Shaming Group (on LinkedIn), Payment Practices, Translator Scammers Directory, Translation Ethics, Translation Agencies Good, Bad and Cheap (also on LinkedIn). Good luck!Collapse

Jorge Payan
Peter Shortall
Philip Lees
Korana Lasić
Rachel Waddington

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What does your contract say? Jul 31, 2021

That looks like an ugly situation.
Your contact (agreement) with your client should have a clause about quality issues describing the procedure of resolving them. The normal procedure is that when quality problems arise, the translator is obligated (gets the chance) to correct the errors (for no extra compensation, of course). Sometimes there is clause about excessive amount of errors, and sometimes it says that the client can hire an editor and deduct those extra expenses from the transla
... See more
That looks like an ugly situation.
Your contact (agreement) with your client should have a clause about quality issues describing the procedure of resolving them. The normal procedure is that when quality problems arise, the translator is obligated (gets the chance) to correct the errors (for no extra compensation, of course). Sometimes there is clause about excessive amount of errors, and sometimes it says that the client can hire an editor and deduct those extra expenses from the translator's pay. Sometimes these contracts are written in a way that the client has practically full, unilateral authority to withhold the entire payment, without objective justification.
People sometimes sign contracts without reading them carefully, or at all.
Check your contract.
Don't have one?
That's a problem. Don't make that mistake again.
Collapse

Katell Deletre
Katell Deletre
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Teresa and Katalin Jul 31, 2021

Thanks for your replies, my case is indeed the proof that you are never too cautious with a new client, i had checked their Proz profile and they had a 4.8 rating.
Since the 1st work experience on 2 different projets had been positive i thought i could trust them, my mistake!

The contract states that: "3. In the event of any complaints of Client regarding the translation of
Work done by Translator, xxx may recover any payment already
made to Translator regarding s
... See more
Thanks for your replies, my case is indeed the proof that you are never too cautious with a new client, i had checked their Proz profile and they had a 4.8 rating.
Since the 1st work experience on 2 different projets had been positive i thought i could trust them, my mistake!

The contract states that: "3. In the event of any complaints of Client regarding the translation of
Work done by Translator, xxx may recover any payment already
made to Translator regarding such Work, inter alia by setting off such
payments to any future payments to be made to Translator."

I could understand that they would retain money following the proofreader's comments, even though i dont agree with some of them, but the problem is that their website and portal were down for 48h, then my active translation tasks had mysteriously "vanished" to the exception of 2, so i could no longer have access to any of my translations and could not even defend the quality of my work, since they contacted me with only 7 small screenshots and a pdf file citing minor quality issues, and based on that, declared they had to reset my translations to another translator (actually the proofreader) and withhold the totality of the earnings for all the batches i could no longer access.

This seems like a rather questionable and dishonest behavior, apparently these people consider freelance translators like slaves who work without being paid.
Beware and always be watchful!
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Don't sign contracts like that Aug 2, 2021

First of all, it is the agency's responsibility to conduct quality assurance on work passed onto their client.
This is why they charge on top of your fees, because they should have expenses related to those QA tasks.
Your client is the agency, the end client is their client, not yours, you have nothing to do with them.
The agency supposed to check your files, and if they accept the work and send it to the client, the rest is their responsibility.
If they messed up with th
... See more
First of all, it is the agency's responsibility to conduct quality assurance on work passed onto their client.
This is why they charge on top of your fees, because they should have expenses related to those QA tasks.
Your client is the agency, the end client is their client, not yours, you have nothing to do with them.
The agency supposed to check your files, and if they accept the work and send it to the client, the rest is their responsibility.
If they messed up with the QA step, they have to bear the consequences, financially and reputation-wise towards the end client.

If they are simply passing files back and forth between the translator and the end client (which seems to be the case here), than it is not a translation agency, it is a translation broker, and best to avoid.
Never sign a contract that has such vague language and never allow for clawback clauses (pulling back monies already paid for work already accepted).

Try to work for agencies that have internal quality control procedures. This is one of the first things I try to find out when considering working with an agency.

[Edited at 2021-08-02 03:34 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Josephine Cassar
Peter Shortall

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:42
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
"their website was down for 48 hours" Aug 2, 2021

(This is one of the resons I don't work with any third-person platforms7interfaces/etc.)

What does your contract say about these issues?
Did you report it?

Katell Deletre
Katell Deletre
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Katalin and Inga Aug 2, 2021

@ Exactly, a translation broker, they are clearly not professionals, even in their way to handle the translated texts.

@ I reported their website failure, no replies to my email. I also posted on their Facebook page to report the event, no replies either. I nevertheless have a screenshot showing i had 36 active tasks on hold waiting for client review, which are now reduced to only 2.

I am considering to contact a lawyer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client citing quality issues to withhold payment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »