Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Advice about Pricing
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Huh? Jul 10, 2021

Does the UK have draconian single-passport laws that it actually enforces?

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:43
English to Turkish
Dual citizenship Jul 11, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:

3. My citizenship is British only. I am native in both languages. I have permanent residence as I came as a child. If I naturalised I could become a sworn translator (tradutor juramentado) as these are never short of work. But if I did that I would probably lose my right to enter the UK

I don't know where you got your information or if things work differently in Brazil, but I know plenty of Turks who hold two passports (Turkish and British). As far as I know the UK allows dual citizenship. I'd look into this more carefully if I were you. Judging by the Brazilian footballers who hold Italian/Portuguese passports to play in Europe, I'd say Brazil permits multiple citizenships. I think you may have missed out one some potentially lucrative opportunities through misinformation.

Jo Macdonald
Christel Zipfel

Aranglish
Aranglish
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
Strategy rather than haggling for more work Jul 11, 2021

What has really worked for me is having contacts in decision-making positions or high places if you like- I never negotiate or haggle. Exposing yourself to the rabbles (agencies, rushing clients, go-betweens, to name a few) will only add to your stress level. Been there and done that myself. Then you could be aiming at ~20 cents USD per source word. This explains why I've never considered buying memberships promising more translation work. You don't need more work, you need a life-work balance. ... See more
What has really worked for me is having contacts in decision-making positions or high places if you like- I never negotiate or haggle. Exposing yourself to the rabbles (agencies, rushing clients, go-betweens, to name a few) will only add to your stress level. Been there and done that myself. Then you could be aiming at ~20 cents USD per source word. This explains why I've never considered buying memberships promising more translation work. You don't need more work, you need a life-work balance. Get the work that will help you get one.

Here is another tip, find a vertical economy sector that is more likely could withstand economic uncertainty; meet people there and establish links. These are the people who would consider you when procuring translation services.

Also aligning with marketing efforts is where most of the money lies. Think outside of everyday translation. Think localisation and transcreation.

As a translator you probably have excellent writing skills in a native language. When looking for variety, I pitch editors in major newsies and get commissioned a story or an opinion piece. Some media outlets pay very well.

I had made it through the 2007 worldwide crisis unscathed thanks to this strategy.
Collapse

Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:43
Italian to English
+ ...
Find out more about this Paul Jul 12, 2021

I have full British citizenship but haven't lived there for 30 years. I hold a full British passport, renew it every 10 years, and have no trouble entering the country as a British citizen.

I acquired Italian citizenship in 1989 after marrying an Italian lass on the Riviera but did not lose my British citizenship by doing so. My children are Italian and also Brits but will not pass that on to their children if they don't live there.
Ten years ago I moved to Spain and I'm now a
... See more
I have full British citizenship but haven't lived there for 30 years. I hold a full British passport, renew it every 10 years, and have no trouble entering the country as a British citizen.

I acquired Italian citizenship in 1989 after marrying an Italian lass on the Riviera but did not lose my British citizenship by doing so. My children are Italian and also Brits but will not pass that on to their children if they don't live there.
Ten years ago I moved to Spain and I'm now a permanent resident here. I'm registered both with the UK and the Italian foreign offices as a permanent resident abroad.

I could apply for Spanish citizenship but would probably lose the Italian one so I'll only do that if the EU sinks.

Baran Keki wrote:

Paul Dixon wrote:

3. My citizenship is British only. I am native in both languages. I have permanent residence as I came as a child. If I naturalised I could become a sworn translator (tradutor juramentado) as these are never short of work. But if I did that I would probably lose my right to enter the UK

I don't know where you got your information or if things work differently in Brazil, but I know plenty of Turks who hold two passports (Turkish and British). As far as I know the UK allows dual citizenship. I'd look into this more carefully if I were you. Judging by the Brazilian footballers who hold Italian/Portuguese passports to play in Europe, I'd say Brazil permits multiple citizenships. I think you may have missed out one some potentially lucrative opportunities through misinformation.
Collapse

Adieu

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice about Pricing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »