Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Availability
Thread poster: András Illyés
Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:06
English to Russian
Don't be afraid to lose a client due to your occasional unavailability Jul 4, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:
Telling a client or agency that you're unavailable is like a death sentence. They'll be forced to find someone else and will never contact you ever again...

A client worth having will instead get a reminder of how good you are and give you longer deadlines in the future.

And this client is likely to book your time well in advance.

To increase your availability, find a trusted partner to refer overflow work to each other. Alternatively, you can offer your clients a TEP (translate + edit + proof) service at about 1.5x of your regular rate for translation. You will work in tandem with your partner, taking turns as a translator and editor (depending on your respective circumstances).

From my experience, many agency clients will like this approach because it makes life simpler for them.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:06
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
... Jul 4, 2021

Theoretically, you could get a new request of a similar volume with a similar turnaround time as soon as you have taken on an assignment. In this case, you will have to decline the new request.

But in practice, it rarely happens that way. You can negotiate an extension of the deadline of the second request, and if it is not possible to get it extended, your client will totally understand your situation and place the task elsewhere.

[Edited at 2021-07-04 10:10 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Is it doable 2 Jul 7, 2021

A good rule of thumb is to tell all new clients we have a daily capacity around 2k-3k words/day (I say 2.5k).

In fact, we can do double or triple that amount

If I got my maths right, you are talking about a daily capacity of max. 9000 words? Could you please let me in on your secret, because this daily amount is way out of my league.

[Edited at 2021-07-07 22:24 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Marzena Malakhova
Marzena Malakhova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Proofreading speed Jul 8, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:

Following on from Dylan's comment about daily output, I say the same, 2.5 to 3 kWords a day. For translation.
How would this change for proofreading?
The reason I am asking is that an agency once asked for 7k words of proofreading in less than a day (20 hours, but essentially 12 due to sleep and meals).

I usually review 4 times faster than I translate, provided that the text is fine and I don't need to rewrite it. 7k words is a reasonable amount for a working day. You may set a timer for an hour and record how many words you can make to find out your own proofreading speed.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Easy Jul 8, 2021

Specialize & use CATs.

The few times I recently had to freehand a translation in a word processor on an unfamiliar topic, it went shockingly slowly

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

A good rule of thumb is to tell all new clients we have a daily capacity around 2k-3k words/day (I say 2.5k).

If I got my maths right, you are talking about a daily capacity of max. 9000 words? Could you please let me in on your secret, because this daily amount is way out of my league.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
9000 words daily???? Jul 9, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Specialize & use CATs.

The few times I recently had to freehand a translation in a word processor on an unfamiliar topic, it went shockingly slowly

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Is the result readable?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:06
English to Russian
36 man hours Jul 9, 2021

It takes 36 hours for me to translate 9000 words...

Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Let's say 4 days Jul 9, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

It takes 36 hours for me to translate 9000 words...

Sounds more realistic.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Availability

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »