Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
request to sign an agreement where I am asked to pay a fee of 5000 EUR if I infringe the GDPR clause
Thread poster: Elena Aclasto
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Storm in a tea cup Jul 1, 2021

Elena Aclasto wrote:

Exasperated?

For TWO emails? Where I simply ask for explanations of that clause?
I don't think so.

What if all 5,000 translators in their database are asking the same question?

Even without such a clause, there can and should be consequences if you break the law, so the easiest solution is simply not to.

And even if you did, the chances of them coming after you for such a small amount are minimal.

Elena Aclasto
Elena Aclasto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:05
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I only ask for a clarification.. Jul 1, 2021

Of course I have no intention to break the law, but since the translations with this client involve possible personal data, I would like to know what they precisely mean with them before signing anything (only the ones referred to the "person"? Or also in a wider sense for names, locations, attractions, streets, phone numbers, names of contact persons..?). Besides - and I don't quite like this - they stated I could "possibly" act, in some cases (which?) a as data protection supervisor.
... See more
Of course I have no intention to break the law, but since the translations with this client involve possible personal data, I would like to know what they precisely mean with them before signing anything (only the ones referred to the "person"? Or also in a wider sense for names, locations, attractions, streets, phone numbers, names of contact persons..?). Besides - and I don't quite like this - they stated I could "possibly" act, in some cases (which?) a as data protection supervisor.

Last, but not least, THEY in the first place stated to write and ask, if I had any questions or issues about the documents to be signed, which I did.

Ice Cream:even if we were 500,000 to ask, if you are a (renowned) professional you should reply, IMO.
With an automated email, or saying you can come back to me asap, whatever, but you should. At least out of courtesy.
Would you like not to be answered to your questions if you had an issue with your airline, for example?

And at least to me 5,000 Euros are not such a small amount, it takes me months to earn it these days.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Sadek_A
Annemarie Avezaat

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Elena Jul 1, 2021

Elena Aclasto wrote:

Ice Cream:even if we were 500,000 to ask, if you are a (renowned) professional you should reply, IMO.
With an automated email, or saying you can come back to me asap, whatever, but you should. At least out of courtesy.
Would you like not to be answered to your questions if you had an issue with your airline, for example?

And at least to me 5,000 Euros are not such a small amount, it takes me months to earn it these days.

I do agree it’s rude. But that’s the modern way. It can be hard to argue with a computer system.

My point about the small amount is that the cost to them of squeezing it out of you across international borders wouldn’t make it worth their while. I’d be more worried about a clause where the amount is open-ended.

As it’s such a nominal sum, I wonder if they are simply trying to get their translators to think more carefully about GDPR-related privacy issues.

P.L.F. Persio

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:05
Serbian to English
+ ...
Of course! Jul 3, 2021

philgoddard wrote:

...Unless you were planning to breach the GDPR. They may have stopped answering your emails because they got exasperated.

Imagine that!
Some insignificant "vendor" daring to question the "shoot yourself in the foot" contract grandly offered to them! Are they not supposed to know that they are "taillable et corvéable à merci"?
Not surprising that this agency got exasperated by such ingratitude?

Sounds to me more like:

With "friends of the profession" like you, is there any need for enemies?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

request to sign an agreement where I am asked to pay a fee of 5000 EUR if I infringe the GDPR clause

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »