Official translation for UK university. What exactly is required?
Thread poster: Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:05
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Apr 5, 2011

A friend of mine is applying to study at a University in Manchester. He has a Uruguayan university and has been asked to provide "official translations" of his degree and other documents issued by the university (grades, course syllabus, etc.).
In Uruguay these translations would be provided by "Public Translators," but I believe there is no such figure in the UK and was wondering how exactly he should go about this.
Thank you all so much in advance for your help.

Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Official translation for UK university Apr 6, 2011

You are right. There are no "Public Translators" in the UK. Instead, we do certify our translations using a translator's certificate on a letterhead paper (signed and stamped).

This form of certification should be sufficient for UK universities. My brother has just applied to Manchester University (Business School) as well as his girlfriend to the Faculty of Law. I was told that they need the translation to be done by a recognised/professional translator, such as a Full Member of th
... See more
You are right. There are no "Public Translators" in the UK. Instead, we do certify our translations using a translator's certificate on a letterhead paper (signed and stamped).

This form of certification should be sufficient for UK universities. My brother has just applied to Manchester University (Business School) as well as his girlfriend to the Faculty of Law. I was told that they need the translation to be done by a recognised/professional translator, such as a Full Member of the ITI or of the Institute of Linguists.

For obvious reasons, I couldn't translate my brother's certificates so I did ask a colleague of mine who is also a Member of the Institute of Linguists to do it for me.

Their translations were accepted without any problems and in fact they have now both been accepted for the coming academic year.

I hope that helps.

Cecilia

PS You could ask the university if they would accept an official translation done by an Official Translator from Uruguay or if it has to be done by a UK translator. I reckon they would accept both, but not sure.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
UCL Apr 6, 2011

I found this on the University of London College site:

My degree certificate/transcript is in a language other than English. Do I need to send in an officially translated copy and if so, who should I get to translate my transcript?

Any transcripts, certificates or references provided as part of your application must be in English. Official translations must be verified by your original university, a solicitor or official translation service such as that provided by the British Council (British Council website). Translations must also be accompanied by a certified copy in the original language.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate-study/application-admission/faq

Check with the University of Manchester if that is what they want. Writing to the British embassy in Uruguay to find out if they verify degree certificates or appoint agencies in Uruguay to do so may be another step you could take.

[Edited at 2011-04-06 09:51 GMT]

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Ask them what they mean by it Apr 6, 2011

I would ask them for their idea of what an "official translation" is, because unfortunately there is a fair amount of ignorance and confusion in the UK about this issue due to the lack of regulation. For instance, I know a French student who had a certificate (from a French medical institution) translated into English by a UK-based IOL translator so that he could join a British professional body. The latter rejected the translation on the grounds that the translation needed to be issued by the F... See more
I would ask them for their idea of what an "official translation" is, because unfortunately there is a fair amount of ignorance and confusion in the UK about this issue due to the lack of regulation. For instance, I know a French student who had a certificate (from a French medical institution) translated into English by a UK-based IOL translator so that he could join a British professional body. The latter rejected the translation on the grounds that the translation needed to be issued by the French institution itself (it's not a translation agency...) I also know a British translator who was advised by a UK government official that he had to put an "official stamp" on his translation. When pressed for an explanation of how he might obtain such a stamp, the official was unable to give further details.

So, to be on the safe side, I would ask them exactly what they mean by "official translations".

[Edited at 2011-04-06 10:16 GMT]
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
The way I do it Apr 6, 2011

I translate document(s) and attach my own "Certificate of Accuracy" stating that the translated document(s) is/are to the best of my knowledge and believe true and correct translation of the original. Some universities accept it but some want to have it "approved" also by NARIC. If that's the case, the client deals with it (i.e. sends it to NARIC) himself/herself. I don't do it myself.

... See more
I translate document(s) and attach my own "Certificate of Accuracy" stating that the translated document(s) is/are to the best of my knowledge and believe true and correct translation of the original. Some universities accept it but some want to have it "approved" also by NARIC. If that's the case, the client deals with it (i.e. sends it to NARIC) himself/herself. I don't do it myself.

http://www.naric.org.uk/
Collapse

Greci Cristina Queiroz
Greci Cristina Queiroz
English to Portuguese
+ ...
UK NARIC Apr 6, 2011

When it comes to education, if his documents are not translated yet, he should send them to UK NARIC, the responsible institution for validating oversea diplomas and stuff like that. They will translate and provide him with a certificate of equivalence.

http://www.naric.org.uk/

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:05
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your suggestions Apr 6, 2011

I will pass them on to my friend. I think the safest thing will be for him to contact the university and have them specify exactly what they want.
Hopefully it won't take too long.

Marion Sadoux
Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 13:05
English to French
+ ...
See if the University itself provides language services Jun 5, 2011

As you can see from the variety of responses, certified translations in the UK are a bit of an elusive concept...
For anyone requiring translations for a University, I would advise them to see in the first instance whether the University in question offers this service.
At London Metropolitan University we do this for a small fee and we translate all sorts of documents for prospective and current students (particularly in relation to mitigation claims). The person to contact for thi
... See more
As you can see from the variety of responses, certified translations in the UK are a bit of an elusive concept...
For anyone requiring translations for a University, I would advise them to see in the first instance whether the University in question offers this service.
At London Metropolitan University we do this for a small fee and we translate all sorts of documents for prospective and current students (particularly in relation to mitigation claims). The person to contact for this is Luli Velez [email protected]
Collapse

samucadomingues
samucadomingues
Portugal
NVQ Level Oct 23, 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a jon in UK, as a lift enginner technicion, but they ask me for an NVQ Level or Equivalent. Here in Portugal we don't have the NVQ, the only thing i can arrange is the equivalente. I do have documents of my company telling my progress in my carrer, but they say i have to send it to UK Naric to be certificated. I don't know if the documents i have will do. Can someone help me with this? Do have have to translate the documents, do the carrer path will
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a jon in UK, as a lift enginner technicion, but they ask me for an NVQ Level or Equivalent. Here in Portugal we don't have the NVQ, the only thing i can arrange is the equivalente. I do have documents of my company telling my progress in my carrer, but they say i have to send it to UK Naric to be certificated. I don't know if the documents i have will do. Can someone help me with this? Do have have to translate the documents, do the carrer path will do?

Thank you all

Samuel
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Official translation for UK university. What exactly is required?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »