Elizabeth Slaney
Elizabeth Slaney  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:20
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2013

Would someone please confirm that 21% is the current rate for both IVA and IRPF now in Spain? I used to freelance here 6 years ago so am not eligible for a reduced rate of IRPF. Thank you.

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
21% Aug 4, 2013

Hi Liz,
Quick answer - yes. 21% for IVA and IRPF.

Elizabeth Slaney
Elizabeth Slaney  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 4, 2013

Thanks Denise. This is my first customer in Spain since I moved back so wanted to get it right. Since the start of this year, I've only worked for agencies outside of Spain as they pay better rates!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:20
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I've never had one! Aug 4, 2013

Liz Slaney wrote:

Thanks Denise. This is my first customer in Spain since I moved back so wanted to get it right. Since the start of this year, I've only worked for agencies outside of Spain as they pay better rates!

Before or since my move in May 2012 - no Spanish client at all. I'm not concerned with VAT as that doesn't apply in the Canaries, but I'll have to find out about IRPF if/when I ever need to.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
While we are on the subject Aug 5, 2013

As far as I can remember 21% IRPF was supposed to be withheld til the end of this year, but this arrangement has now been extended another year. Is that right? Does anyone know? TIA

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Tatty Aug 5, 2013

I seem to remember some political bleating at the time it was introduced that the new rate of 21% would only be applied for 12 months before returning to a previous rate (which one, I wonder: 15%, 16% or 18%?), but I have very little faith that this will happen.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only withold IRPF from individuals Aug 5, 2013

You only have to withhold IRPF for individuals not companies, (easy way to tell: if their tax number starts with a letter they are a company, if it ends with a letter they are an individual).

Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are these rates valid for March 2014 Mar 29, 2014

Just want to know if said rates are still valid today,

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Yes Mar 30, 2014

Yes, it's still 21% of VAT and 21% of IRPF.

You'll find more useful information in this post (in Spanish): http://www.proz.com/post/2268025#2268025

Regards,
M.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
AFAIK Apr 1, 2014

twakely wrote:

Just want to know if said rates are still valid today,

Yes, or at least that's the rates I'm currently billing at... and the last I heard was they were talking about increasing the IVA, not lowering it, but I may be mistaken, as I usually let my "gestor" sort out all that kind of thing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confirmation of rates for VAT & IRPF

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »